cardstock that yellows and ages

Herzog

Forgot where I read this -Flornoy perhaps?- but the publisher made a point to say his decks will yellow with age... I thought this was a great selling point so Im wondering who publishes decks with this quality

nisaba

Just means they're not made of acid-free paper, so they are slowly corroding from the inside. I have books from the seventies, when acid-washing paper to make it whiter-than-white became popular, and not only have they significantly first yellowed then browned, but they have become brittle, the pages in some cases shattering into fragments on handling.

I take my hat off to anyone who has the effrontery to make this into a selling-point instead of guiltily trying to hide it.

Le Fanu

Yes, it is Flornoy; "bleach-free cards guaranteed to gently yellow with age".

That is rather an interesting selling point! Completely different mentality from - say - U.S games who do their lamination thinking of indestructibilty when maybe what the consumer wants are cards that gently yellow. My unlaminated 70s decks have (very) gently yellowed with age at the outer edges. I rather like it, it has to be said; my Rider & Co RWS, my 1JJ Swiss & Moroocan Fez.

I think the cases nisaba mentions - of brittleness & eventual shattering - must be extreme cases, surely, after centuries and centuries. My guess is that all these wonderful historic decks in the Bibliotheque Nationale, Paris and British Museum etc were on very primitive acid-free/bleach-free paper and have aged in exactly that way which some of us rather like.

I doubt any acid/bleach-free decks in my collection will brown & shatter in my lifetime.

I think I'd find something rather satisfying about my whole tarot collection browning & shattering into oblivion - so no-one else could covet it or use it - as I lay on my deathbed... })

gregory

Le Fanu said:
I think I'd find something rather satisfying about my whole tarot collection browning & shattering into oblivion - so no-one else could covet it or use it - as I lay on my deathbed... })
I'll see how soon I can arrange a test..... :angel:

But I agree - I like the fact that my decks don't all look spanking new out of the packet-ish. I can't understand people who never even take decks out of the shrinkwrap. Decks are for using.

Le Fanu

But even if you don't use them, I think there's a cardstock which will naturally yellow regardless. And in the box.

I used my 1JJ Swiss & RWS but the Moroccan Fez was never used much and that has yellowed quite a lot. The Balbi hasn't yellowed at all, plus others of around this time but that's because they have a very light lamination. Not unlike that on Flornoy's decks.

Just to clarify gregory; I don't mean to imply that my death would immediately lead to mass crumbling of tarot decks (though that would be rather dramatic), it's just that I'm planning on my deathbed scene being quite a few years away yet. Like - what? - 200 years away? I shall be like that chappie in the Etteilla story (can't remember who it is) who keeps being spotted resurfacing at balls & parties across the centuries...

So please, nip any cunning plans you have in the bud :)

gregory

No - I just want to WATCH to see if your decks crumble, and as I am SO much older than you, I may have to Take Measures... })

I know some decks yellow anyway - but what I was getting at is that I can't see why people want things to stay all new. So why does it matter ? (unless, of course, they end up looking like the yellowy Scapini print :bugeyed: - and they did that ON PURPOSE :eek: !)

Le Fanu

I have a funny feeling (please don't ask me to define intuition) that the U.S Games Printed in China cardstock will not age well. It's a shame as I quite like it, but it has a cardboardy stiffness which isn't going to break in and age well.

Just my hunch.

Herzog

Yes... I read that on the Flornoy site -thanks Le Fanu :)- From what I have read on the site he is producing his decks on a more mass level... I wonder if this acid-free quality extends to these decks...

I love my old yellowed books from the Seventies :D

gregory

Le Fanu said:
define intuition
, please ?

I wonder. I have older decks printed there....

Le Fanu

It's just that (as well as yellowing) I like growing flexibility with age and the Printed in China decks do not have that. I think they will remain board-like for centuries. I still like them though (so, no, I'm not complaining and asking for them to go back to doing it in Italy)