Unusual Reactions to Cards?

HighPriestess

Has anyone had any strange reactions to certain cards in decks that might have influenced whether you purchased it?

Case in point: I was viewing the majors for "The Tarot of Vampyres" and my reaction to the Sun was something along the lines of: "WOW! That card is so awesome!!!!" It seemed like an odd card to get excited about.

When viewing the Bohemian Gothic 2nd edition, I laughed at the Lovers. The scenario that played out in my head was that of a Twilight fan trying to cozy up to a vampire--and you can just see the guy rolling his eyes! He looks like: "OMG, not another one..."

Recently, I was in a very "mermaids and unicorns" mood, so I decided to order a Doreen Virtue deck, and it was between "Magical Mermaids and Dolphins" and "Goddess Guidance". I picked Goddess Guidance for three reasons: I collect goddess-themed decks, the artwork in this deck seemed more coherent compared to her other decks, and "OMG, look at Sedna! She's gorgeous!" (Maybe that's not such an unusual reaction, lol)

So, has anyone else had any similar experiences or am I alone in my weirdness?

ncharge

All the time! I would say that every deck I ever bought was because of a "wow!" reaction to a card or two in the deck. Sometimes, I really don't like the deck at all - I just have to have that one magical image.

rabid

Hmm... my sister went bonkers when she was the ace of pentacles in the DM deck! She was all "EVERYBODY LOOK!!!" ... and its MY deck, not even hers. I suspect she'll have her own copy come December 25th, though. :D

For me, its aspects fo the cards, not one card usually. When I got the DM it was "Teeth! Dead Fish! CLOCKS! omgi'msoinlove!"

Whitestar

Hey, you're not alone....

I have a card I have a big reaction to, it didn't influence my purchase (I only saw it after I had the deck), but the page of swords in the Legacy of the Divine Tarot really gets to me!

I'm not sure if this page is a boy or girl, but I think of the page as a little boy, and he is beautiful, he seems so real to me, especially his eyes....and I love the colors in the card, I show it to people and say, isn't this amazing???!

Hathor

My biggest reaction was when I saw the 7 Of Wands in the Deviant Moon. I felt sooo bad for that little girl, she was all cut up and scared after having been lost in the forest. Or so it seems to me. I went to bed that night thinking of her and how I wanted to go and save her.

WyrdRaven

I bought Daughters of the Moon because I was so smitten with the Sun card. Every time I think of that deck, that's the card I visualize. I think it's my favorite Sun of all.

BlueBlulle

Three of Swords in the Legacy of the Divine (mass market ed.). A friend and I was looking for a "dark, sinister, and unsettling" deck to counter balance the cute overdose of the Hanson Roberts. The storekeeper, engaging me in conversation, began to spread out sample deck after sample deck. After rejecting all the dozens of decks in the store, the storekeeper pulled down Legacy with the words, "I know what you're really looking for, and it is in this deck."

Didn't want to even thumb through it. Ciro's other decks, while delightfully beautiful, just didn't come near the vibe I was looking for. But the storekeeper insisted I go through the sample deck, card by card.

Halfway through the deck, I just stopped talking. Mid-sentence, topic long forgotten. My friend asked me if I was okay. I shook my head from side to side.

The Three of Swords card. The single tear plummeting down the cheek, overflowing the heart on her face. The pained look in the eyes. (Of betrayal? Of accusation?) My heart rent for the girl. Never again will the sun be bright, nor the moon so gentle for the girl on this card. I wanted to cry for (with?) her.

Without looking up, I gestured to my friend. He plucked a new box off the shelf, and paid for it before I could intervene. I put the sample deck back together and returned it to the storekeeper. I paid my friend for his generosity, by decking his shoulder. I can pay for my own toys, thank you very much. (I did pay him back, later.)

SarahRacheal

The Queen of swords and the High Priestess in the first edition BG. I loved both of them, bought the deck because of them, then realised I really didn't like the spooky children in it and traded it.

note to self-Always try to look at the whole deck before ordering!

nisaba

HighPriestess said:
Has anyone had any strange reactions to certain cards in decks that might have influenced whether you purchased it?
I would have bought it anyway because I have a thing for the designer, but the Hermit from this deck is particularly challenging for me, because it seems almost a portrait of an ex-girlfriend of mine. I still feel weird every time I see the card, and it's been over five years and she's safely dead.