Second-Hand Decks vs. New Decks

jgoreham

I've had an epiphany: The reason I don't like my RWS is because it's only ever been *my* tarot deck.

The other weekend I went home (to my childhood home) and mum wanted her cards read. Turns out she had this deck of Rider-Waite cards that she'd had for about a year, that she picked up at a yard sale. Now, at home (not my childhood home- where I live now), I am kind of pained to pick up my Rider-Waite deck to read. But I couldn't put mum's deck down once the whole weekend, I loved reading with them!

I think I've come to the conclusion that because my Rider-Waite deck never belonged to anybody before, I don't like it. I feel like it doesn't have its own personality which was what I enjoyed about mum's. This weekend, I have a deck of cards (admittedly an oracle, not a tarot deck) that's second hand with my name on it at the local new-age bookstore waiting for me. I am excited to test my theory to see if I like a previously used deck of cards better than one that arrives in my possession shrink-wrapped. What do all of you think? Do you like to use new cards only, or do you have a sweet spot for a nice second-hand deck?

gregory

I like my decks for who they are. My BEST beloved reading deck (Baroque Bohemian Cats) was new; I have many that were used too, and some of each sort read well and others don't.

The only TdM I have yet managed to read with was VERY old (1940s, I think) and used.

cardlady22

The only thing I care about is that the deck has all its cards and isn't abused/destroyed.

Glitterbird

I prefer second hand decks. I feel they have a history and I love:heart: history. But as I look at everything around me right now I don't own much new stuff in general I just like old stuff.

jgoreham

Glitterbird said:
I prefer second hand decks. I feel they have a history and I love:heart: history. But as I look at everything around me right now I don't own much new stuff in general I just like old stuff.

Me too, I work in the heritage field <3 I love old stuff!

Grizabella

I like both but a used deck can be nice and well-shuffled and easy on the hands, which is a real treat. So many of the new decks are stiff and hard to shuffle, especially since a lot of them are so big.

On the other hand, there's a real excitement from getting a brand new deck that's never been used before and you get to open it and break it in all yourself. :)

rabid

Hmm... I don't care, for most decks. It really doesn't matter to me. HOWEVER, my DM, which is the current love of my life, is mine mine mine. I wouldn't like it as much if it wasn't brand spanking new.

So... depends on the deck.

Sulis

I prefer second-hand decks, I like to think of them as 'pre-loved' but like Glitterbird I think I just prefer things that are old and used looking. I do have 2 decks that are amongst my favourites that were new when I got them but they're both around 10 years old now so they're well worn in and loved.

pandan49

No hard and fast rule for me either. I still have my first deck, which I bought new. Yet, one of my favorites is a used copy of Hurley & Horler's New Tarot, which is probably impossible to find new since it has been out of print for so long. The originality of the drawings in this old deck, which was done in black and white, rather than color, plus the smaller size which makes it very easy to handle are all reasons for me to love it. I also like the terms pre-loved. The fact that someone else used it seems like a good feeling to me. This deck has been in use for a long time and provided many readings. It is a tool that has been well used and still has a lot of life left in it.

And yet, I still enjoy getting a new deck that has very original art. it is very invigorating to experience the work of an original artist who might make some philosophical as well as artistic statements through their work, which opens my eyes to see new interpretations and meanings in cards.

So there is good in both new and used, and I enjoy them all.

WyrdRaven

I love new decks most of all. It is so much fun to open the box and unwrap the cellophane. And then I stick my nose into the cards and take a big whiff! Mmmmmmmm... new deck smell!