Deck Boxes-Good, Bad, & Ugly

greatdane

I know some TarotFolk throw boxes away, some keep them (and their decks inside them), some use them for other things.

As we talk about all things deck-related here, wanted to see what boxes readers have been impressed with, or surprised the box even made it through the post without breaking.

I just got the Mystical Lenormand. I think you could drop this box from space and it wouldn't open (a nail file comes in handy to get the deck out).

The Maroon Tarot, really unique deck, the box, well, not so much.

Pocket Universal, cute little box, but easy to have the cards spill out.

So, dear Readers, what have been your favorite, and least favorite, enclosures for your decks?

Blessings,
GD

HighPriestess

The top of my Fantastical Creatures box just fell off one day (I have the edition with just the cards and a LWB). I also find the box that the Goddess Inspiration Oracle came in is a little flimsy.

I love the Mythical Goddess Tarot's box, it's nice and sturdy and isn't massive like the one for the Victorian Flower Oracle. The only downside is both the box and its contents smelled of chemicals, but I stuck some ground cloves in with the deck and it doesn't smell anymore.

greatdane

Thanks for sharing, HighPriestess!

Now that you mention, I also notice how many decks smell of chemicals when I first get them

I know many of us are really just interested in the cards, but I think the packaging they come in is important. It's part of what we pay for, otherwise we could just get cards sealed in plastic without a box.

I also find it interesting that the cost of a deck doesn't automatically mean the box will likewise suit cost. For example, the Mystical Lenormand was under 10 U.S. INC shipping and the box is realllly well-made. The Maroon, not an inexpensive deck, and yet the box is pretty flimsy and it's hard to get deck back in it, because of way the bottom is put together.

Rosanne

I think the best box on the market is the Golden Tarot of Kat Black.
The Housewives, the Universal Waite etc...These are not the usual boxes of course. The Il lMenghello sleeves are sturdy but they annoy me, with their ribbons etc.

I have paid large amounts and small amounts for cards in the standard boxes and it has not mattered the price - they do not last the distance if you use them as holders for your usual cards. So I guess shrink wrap is as godd as anything if you have a container. Bags do not save your cards.

I vote every deck should come in a tin like the Vanessa!
That would mean I would not make little individual boxes for my favourites, with their own theme.
You could buy Waleswoman's Alaskan boxes with laser designs.

So the box that fell apart first week was the Tao Oracle.
The box that lasted the longest with the most use was RWS 1985.
They all rip at the tabs.

~Rosanne

amethyst57

was in a craft store, maybe led there...and i found a giftcard tin perfect for my oracle deck..red cover and silver bottom, with white filigree on the cover (beats the clear plastic box i had it in)....
for my tarot deck...i found a small natural muslin bag with a front zipper,like a backpack outside pocket zipper, and enough room for my reading cloth (its orignal box got messed up thru the mail)...

greatdane

Hmmmm? TINS!

Now THAT sounds like a great idea, Rosanne and Rockersgurl! They would then fit neatly on shelves and I could keep a bag or case for any that were going to travel with me!

I like that! Thanks for sharing.

gregory

Llewellyn boxes are the PITS. In every respect. You seem to be collecting fast....

greatdane

LOL Gregory

Actually, Gregory, I only have four tarot decks and two oracles (well, five tarot decks if you count the Star, but I don't read with that, it's tucked away). I have a couple Bohemian Gothics coming and a Visconti, but that's all on my wish list, except for the Cat's Eye, which isn't even on pre order yet. I just like the ones I do have to have nice boxes, so I can keep them in them if I choose. The Maroon is a total waste to house the deck.

Yes, I find that some publishers don't waste much time on boxes or cases for decks.

amethyst57

my tin and my little bag cost a dollar each...considering the prices of even plain wooden boxes, maybe i was led to them...

Aedrielle

I've kept all the boxes my decks have come in. For my LS decks, I have made fabric drawstring bags for them and just keep the cards in their box, in the bag.

For my Druidcraft deck, I made a bag for them also and I just have the box on a shelf.