I'm curious: why crystal skulls?

shelikes2read

I'm curious as to why minerals carved into the shape of a skull seem to be so popular. I'm presuming there's a demand for them as there certainly seems to be a large supply of them from various sellers of crystal products.

They stand out all the more since it's not like there are other shapes out there that are in such vogue (well, other than spheres). And while some carved skulls seem to be made to mimic real life as much as possible in appearance, there are others that seem almost like cartoon characters. Some of the ones I'm seeing on here remind me more of smiley emoticons than an anatomically correct skull. (Then again, who wouldn't mind having a real-life ":D" to look at once in a while?)

Anyway, I'm just curious as to why skulls seem to be such a popular carved mineral figure, especially in the near-absence of just about any other kind of sculptured shape besides spheres.

WinterRose

I think it's because they're fairly easy to sculpt, to be honest!

AJ

The last Indiana Jones movie featured them

Le Fanu

All things goff are back again.

(And some of those healing wands on that seller you linked were positively obscene... :| I had to look away... The way they curved...)

Briar Rose

Maybe they are fairly easy to sculpt with tools, but what about the ones that were found deep in the woods with NO marks on them(when magnified for detail)? Now that is something HUGE. And particular Crystal skulls are said to give healing, atunement, and alignment to those that touch them.

http://www.crystalskulls.com/

And they remind us that, we are not of our bodies. It's only a vessel.

shelikes2read

Le Fanu said:

(And some of those healing wands on that seller you linked were positively obscene... :| I had to look away... The way they curved...)
Yeah, some of the wands kind of made me go :bugeyed:, too. They leave a bit less to the imagination than I expected.

thorhammer

Le Fanu said:

Yes! OMG I think I blushed :eek:

Personally, I recognise the properties of crystals as entities for healing. I own quite a few in either natural or polished form. But I flat-out refuse to acknowledge that carving a rock into a skull shape enhances its healing ability. That sounds like utter claptrap to me.

So says the ceremonial magician and Tarot reader, yogi and reiki practitioner.

I have lines. This is one of them.

\m/ Kat

gregory

I think - because they are pretty. Sure - loads buy them for "real" reasons - but there are a lot of people out there who like pretty thing, let's face it.

Now the ones found in woods and so on - yes, that would be special. But the huge popularity they have I think is something more mundane.