Medicine Cards

MsIsis

Does anyone else have medicine cards? I'm curious to see what different spreads you use for them. I'm actually better at them then I am at the tarot cards, and wonder if there is a study group out there to help out with them.

lunalafey

There are a bunch of here with Medicine Cards. Being an animal person I relate to them quite well.
As for spreads; I use the spreads give in the book and then some made up on the spot.

MsIsis

Have you used the sacred path with them?

lunalafey said:
There are a bunch of here with Medicine Cards. Being an animal person I relate to them quite well.
As for spreads; I use the spreads give in the book and then some made up on the spot.

I've not seen the Sacred Path cards, but I hear they are a compliment to the medicine cards. I recently met a local woman who uses the Sacred Path cards, and is thinking of adding the medicine cards - maybe the two of us can work together.

Another question for you - do you occasionally find what is the medicine cards book doesn't fit what you feel the animal represents?

For instance, the Prarie Dog - to me represents community or family, but the book says it means retreat. I found out later that Animal Speak references them as community as well. I know you are supposed to reference the cards how YOU Feel them to be and let them speak to you. But to me, that seems as if that is a big difference.

I really do work better with them, but still not quite "there". I actually bought them about 2 weeks before I was given my set of Tarot Cards. So I'm not much ahead of them on education aspect. I hear you are to learn one deck at a time, and I had set these aside, but a friend asked for a reading with them. I actually think I do better with them than I do with the tarot. The interpretation is so much easier for me.

Also, what animals have you added (if any)? So far I have added the Tiger, and the House Cat, as neither were included with the deck, and I just can't imagine the deck without them.

lunalafey

I've not seen the Sacred Path cards either. Interesting thought though.
I have not felt any differences in what the book says & how I see an animal (that I can remember) It's odd that the animals I do not really relate to (or know little about) avoid showing themselves very often. There are different animal representations among the native people, even thier astrology uses different animals or names for the Moons(= to signs). I feel the lesson the representation/story is relivent but is not limited.
the groundhog maybe a very community oriented critter, but so is the Raccoon & the Wolf & the Dolphin, but what is funny about the groundhog.....how quickly they will all disappear under the earth when something unknown comes near.
When the deck only had 44 cards I wanted to add the Raccoon because I found it to be strange that it was not part of the original deck, after all it is an animal that is only found in the US.(but also because I had one as a pet & I learned much about it's behavior......protector INDEED!....this guy would stop all new comers at the door with a hissy growl, only after he sized up the "intruder" would he let them pass...It's halarious to see a 200lb. man shake in his boots while a 6lb. baby coon checks him out!)
But the new deck came out & there the little bandit was.

Kaz

i moved this thread becoause its about a non tarot deck, and those get most hits in divination forum.

~kaz

MsIsis

Sacred Path

lunalafey said:
I've not seen the Sacred Path cards either. Interesting thought though.
When the deck only had 44 cards I wanted to add the Raccoon because I found it to be strange that it was not part of the original deck, after all it is an animal that is only found in the US.(but also because I had one as a pet & I learned much about it's behavior......protector INDEED!....this guy would stop all new comers at the door with a hissy growl, only after he sized up the "intruder" would he let them pass...It's halarious to see a 200lb. man shake in his boots while a 6lb. baby coon checks him out!)
But the new deck came out & there the little bandit was.

LOL I can just picture that. I'm fond of skunks myself - we had them as pets (descented) when I was a kid. Nothing was funnier than the skunk who would flip up the fitted sheet and jump up on the bed between the mattress and the sheet - so My Mom didn't know he was there, and we'd cuddle for hours.

Then of course, when someone came to visit, imagine the looks when the skunk answered the door instead of the dogs!

But yes, the Sacred Path cards are interesting. I'm wondering if the back appears different. Most of the time with the Medicine Cards, I use the Medicine wheel spread, because I like that one. It's simple, easy to follow, and is easy for me to put into a story. But medicine cards are not (in my opinion) designed to tell the future, but are designed to help you develop your strengths and work on your weaknesses. I'm not completely sure about the purpose behind Sacred Path.

I've seen some samples linked here on Aeclectic, but that's all I've seen.

And yes, to me the Dolphin is from community, but to me they represent more the spiritual, communication, and rhythm representations. I saw dolphins for weeks before I bought the cards - then the first card I turned over while laying out my 7 totems, was the dolphin - to the East (spiritual). But they didn't "go away". I still saw them everywhere. I did some research, and decided it was time for me to begin more detailed meditation. It did some good - as it led me to my actual Power Animal - something I did not know about - and something that I had always misled myself on. It was nice to find the "real thing" finally. :)

What I was hoping to do when I opened up this original post, was to begin some more "discussion" on the different animals. Something to help me see different aspects about different animals. Just as you did with me on the Raccoon. ;)

Animal Speak referneces the Raccoon as "Dexterity and Disguise", while the Medicine Cards book shows as "generous protector". Ted Andrews also covers the protective side, but talks about the "mask" behind the raccoon as well.

You have a great deal more experience with that particular animal than I - do you think of them as disguised? Maybe,,, even in your own comments you talk how a raccoon can make a grown man tremble, yet at the same time talk about him as being a pet. Perhaps this is what is meant by the disguise - people think of them as a creature which must wash it's food - yet we have since learned it's because water makes their "hands" more sensitive then what they are without it, and they like the feel of the texture of the food. so in it's own way - many things about the raccoon ARE involved with disguise - but perhaps not the way you would originally think.

lunalafey

some good points about the raccoon. They do love the water.
As for the mask, I see it as an indication of their mischievious nature. A cabin left with food & not closed properly will get ran-sacked by them.....
So what's the next critter?
What all Totems did you get?
Mine are:
east/turtle
south/bear
west/horse
north/mouse
above/deer
below/eagle
within/moutain lion
the left & right came to me long befor I did the totems
left/owl
right/humming bird

MsIsis

lunalafey said:
some good points about the raccoon. They do love the water.
As for the mask, I see it as an indication of their mischievious nature. A cabin left with food & not closed properly will get ran-sacked by them.....
So what's the next critter?
What all Totems did you get?

Well, I don't talk about left and right, but I haven't figured out left yet (I recently read you aren't supposed to tell who they are because it's disrespectful for them).

But, my others, I have no problems sharing. I've got one that's got me so confused. LOL.

East - Dolphin
South - Turtle
West - Dragonfly
North - Buffalo
Above - Lynx
Below - Lizard
Within - The Bat.

I understand also the following:

East - your spiritual self
South - Your Inner Child
West - (I'm still stuck here)
North - What rules your mind

Above/Below/Within - I don't understand what these help with yet either.

I just do not comprehend the Bat as "within".,,, except that I'm a night person. Otherwise, I'm at a loss. LOL. Then again, I'm a gemini, and love change and they say it means "rebirth" which basically means the end of one thing, and beginning of another.

btw, I have been seeing alot of interest in your dear Hummingbird lately. I met a lady just Friday who collects them. Seems to be coming up alot in my readings also - natural healing and joy. A wonderful totem for you! When you meditate next on your totems, let them know that their information was shared here out of respect. :) I shared my right one as soon as I found him because it came to me in such a dramatic way, but then later I read you weren't supposed to, mostly because not everyone understands the entire idea, and you dont' want to "anger" them. Course, as I told someone, mine was already torked off because it took me so long to find him. LOL. I could see it in his eyes! And, he shocked me so badly I "fell out" of meditation. LOL. My first "success" at meditation.

Ok, for the next critter. I'll pull a card, and see what I get, and we can "chat" about him. :) That way, it's more of a fair way - no preferences. LOL.

Ok, I pulled a card - I pulled 18, Lynx. (hmm, didnt' I mention her already?)

Lynx represents secrets, clairvoyance, mystery, keeping silence. NOt alot of detail in the book about Lynx himself, but here's something interesting:

The Lynx's main prey is the snowshoe hare - which apparently has a decrease in population every 11 years. This also affects the Lynx, and makes the 11 year cycle very important to those with Lynx medicine!

The 11 year cycle is considered symbolic from a metaphyiscal standpoint. It is associated with inspiration, revelation, mysticism and other teachings. Add this to the Lynx's color of gray, and you add the sybol of clouds that hide the ancient wisdom, that separates the seen from the unseen.

The one thing the Animal Speak does not indicate - do people with Lynx medicine actually NOTICE an 11 year cycle? As in life changes every 11 years? If I knew what "above" meant, perhaps I'd be better at giving myself ideas on that - because I think my life runs on 5 year cycles, from what I can tell.

Now get this: My Grandfather came across a lynx kitten many years ago and tried to give it to us as a gift, and my mom put her foot down and said no way.

so, what do you know of the Lynx? I don't find much on actual behavior, other than they are predominately nocturnal, are from the north (yikes, I hate cold weather), and can see exceptionally well at night. They are born with blue eyes (as are many kittens), which change to match their mother's at the age of 3 weeks.

This is great - to find someone to share this with. I've been working entirely alone trying to learn these cards. I have a much better handle on them than tarot, just because of the "Nature of the beast". LOL.

(and you get to pull the next card)

MsIsis

Just a Note

btw - did you notice that both your left and right are birds? I've been noticing alot of birds coming up in readings myself of late. I was finding it fascinating how many of the birds I see.

I'll have to tell you about my buddy crow sometime. He spoke to me every day for a solid week!!! Every single morning! Then yesterday I saw the entire flock flying away. GUess they got the point across. LOL.

lunalafey

yes, I did happen to notice, I think it's due to the overpowering quantity of earth signs in my chart e=7, w=2, f=1, a=1.
AAH, crow, my truck attracts ravens, they like to hang out on it...
Also, if you notice it is a bird that is in my grounding position.
swapping animal stories sounds like fun & a good way to understand & know thier ways.....