Horary

Flaxen

I have been avidly reading John Frawley recently and bought his Horary Textbook. I've been having a go at interpreting my own practise questions but there are only so many things I can ask. So I collared my sister on the phone and asked if she'd let me try a question she had. She, being the kind sister she is, duly obliged.

It took me over an hour to interpret it and get back to her but she was very impressed with it. :)

I'm feeling like the struggle might be worth it. :) It's so absorbing and fascinating.

I know there are a few people here who also do horary. How long have you been doing it?

I'm sticking with Frawley for the time being but are there any other authors you'd recommend?

Minderwiz

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's so good to get such positive feedback and such an incentive to keep going. I have been doing it on and off for around 8 years and I love it.

In answer to your question about reading:

I'd say keep to Frawley as your main for the time being - which seems to be your intention anyway.

But buy and start reading the following, if you intend to progress

1. William Lilly's Christian Astrology Vol 1 (strictly speaking Books I and II). This is the classic horary text and you will need it if you are going to make a lot of progress. It's not an easy read, due to it's seventeenth century English but I've come across twentieth century tomes which are far more difficult.

2. If you want a slightly different view from Frawley, try Lee Lehman's 'Martial Art of Horary Astrology'. I'm not saying it's better - I love them both but it may stimulate a few thoughts.

Of the two I'd say get Lilly first and then Lehman. There are other Horary textbooks but most of them are confusing compared to these three.

If you want to try your hand further, then I'm going to start another set of horary readings in about a week. You are more than welcome to make comments, ask questions relating to the method and indeed suggest answers. Also if you want to, have a review of the previous two threads and ask any questions you like on method or approach, posting in this one. I don't claim to be an expert, indeed I'd guess that I miss quite a bit on some readings, so don't be afraid to question.

Flaxen

Minderwiz said:
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you!

Minderwiz said:
It's so good to get such positive feedback and such an incentive to keep going. I have been doing it on and off for around 8 years and I love it.

I can see this becoming very addictive. Might end up picking your brains about some of those trickier points.

Minderwiz said:
If you want to try your hand further, then I'm going to start another set of horary readings in about a week. You are more than welcome to make comments, ask questions relating to the method and indeed suggest answers. Also if you want to, have a review of the previous two threads and ask any questions you like on method or approach, posting in this one. I don't claim to be an expert, indeed I'd guess that I miss quite a bit on some readings, so don't be afraid to question.

Thank you. I might well do that - it would be great to look at real questions rather than my stuff. :)

Le Fanu

Ive also read Frawley and admit it's fascinating... but I would never dare to attempt working with it.

It feels like an impressive theory to coo over at a distance. Even when he does his case studies Ive no idea what he's talking about but it all seems to tie up in the end. He brings in so many other things which can only come from a lifetime of study.

Im impressed that you can actually make it work. Good for you! I can kind of follow what he's saying in the theory part but as for case studies and interpretation, locating lost things or whatever, I'm all :bugeyed: and have to humbly retreat!

It works - I can see that - but it seems to need loads of background stuff (which isn't exactly his forté: he's too busy dissing Sun Sign astrology)!

Flaxen

It does seem very intimidating doesn't it?

I must admit when I first read about it, my reaction was like yours - utterly fascinating but I didn't think I could do it.

However, I have been trying out a few different types of questions to follow the process. I do it very much with book in hand, walking through it step by step, hence it takes me so long. :)

So far, I'm pleasantly surprised that it seems to be working. There are still quite a few things that leave me shaking my head (timings in particular!) but it's actually quite enjoyable.

The Horary Textbook is much more of a teaching guide so a good one to use if you want to try it. Go on...you know you want to....

Le Fanu

It's what all the things symbolise (Im sticking with the finding lost things charts; anything else would be quite beyond me!) that throws me.

You (in general, not YOU) seem to have to be able to pick up on what the symbols and signs subtley mean and refer to; "Oh X can refer to movement so your lost keys are in the car"

These are the lateral leaps I just cannot make!

It's interesting though, I have to admit.