RWS vs Other, for a beginner

Chickadee

So I'm new to tarot as I've said in other threads, and I'm waiting to get my deck, the Legacy of the Divine. Now I looked at about 238942893 other decks before I chose this one, read up on reviews, etc. And one comment kept popping up: that beginners should start with the RWS deck. Personally, I don't really like the RWS deck, it doesn't do anything for me. I really love the Legacy. But should I get the RWS anyway, just to learn the basics of tarot? Does it hinder me in any way if I don't?

Nytebugg

I've never owned a RWS deck. Ones based on the symbolism, yes. I just don't really connect with the RWS and I think it is because of the modern recolorings. i find most of them to be too bright.
I don't think it will hinder your ability to learn. if you are learning from books then you will know your imagery will not match up exactly and you may need to find some of your own meanings as you go.

Chickadee

Yeah, I know. It comes with a good LWB though.

bellathebrave123

I think the RWS is a great deck for beginners. Even better if you have something to compare it with, like you divine legacy...basically I think the RWS is a great platform and overtime I find I just keep coming back to this classic deck

Grizabella

I don't like the RWS either, so I got other kinds of decks but in the end, I finally bought a Universal Waite, which I liked much better and then my learning really picked up speed. The Universal Waite is the RW but just has been recolored more nicely. I suggest that you do get one of those if you can, at least to learn with. I don't think anything really compares for a beginner, even though now I use many other decks.

Brigid

You know it's really funny..
For years I had a really strong dislike for the RWS, and I mean REALLY strong!

Fast forward many years later, I came across a lovely vintage original with the Roses and lilies back, INSTANT love! Totally different feel to it for me.
Now I have the Commemorative edition which I also love, plus a couple of others... :eek:
Maybe it just had to grow on me, or maybe I just found the right edition for me. *shrugs* either way, I wouldn't give these ones up for the world now. :)

I do love to journal a new deck and run comparisons with the RWS, a fun and often surprising way to learn.

Just have LOTS of fun whichever way you decide! :D
The Legacy is a great deck, love it! You should see the LE.. ;)

beginner

I am a beginner too. i have started with the original rw ! and i guess it works perfectly fine with me
i may consider buying other decks after a few yrs only when i am all perfect with this 1 :) :)

nisaba

I don't like the RW deck much, but I learnt on it and it never did me any harm. I also teach with it, basically so that everyone in the room is on the same page.

I encourage people to look around afterwards and choose another deck that sings to them.

Silver Crow

I learned on it and highly recommend it for learning. I am currently using the Pamela Coleman Smith centennial version and find the colors very muted and soothing, because like you I don't like the bright and flashy ones. I think it's wise to go with either a RWS or a Thoth deck when starting just to learn the basics of a common "system", but that's just me.

On another note, Deidre of the Sorrows is a heavily RWS themed deck in my opinion, that is a perfect deck for learning with and it has a great book for the beginner. I've been reading tarot for over 30 years now and am considering using this deck for the little bit of teaching I do, so it's worth checking out. It's now one of my main decks and I am enjoying every moment I spend with it.

edited to fix the five am and I haven't slept yet mistakes.

Libra8ca

My first deck was a RWS and looking back on it I found that it hindered me from learning tarot! Once I got other decks, my comprehension of the tarot increased rapidly. I think, I just needed some variety :D

That being said, I think you should still get a copy of it (I recommend the PCS Commemorative Set) just for study and reference; you don't need to read with it if you really don't like it. I also recommend a good book that explains the RWS (there are many out there).

Studying the RWS will help you understand all the other decks that are based on this system better. There is a lot to the RWS; you can't just go by looks as they can be very deceiving....