"Family of psychics accused..."

AineFoley

Hmmmm obviously they are scammers, not psychics. Anyone who tells their customers that they can get rid of the negative energies around them for lots of cash is not to be trusted!

MeeWah

The article seems to focus on their alleged insurance scams, which apparently is what led to the federal investigation.

The family is, however, credited with enabling "fortune-telling" because decades ago, it was illegal. With this damaging publicity, it could affect the future of same.

AineFoley

True, I think the insurance fraud is the important issue here but they also appear to be less than honest as psychics and I think that will be potentially damaging to honest psychics and readers.

I have to commend the writer of the article for citing material from the website of another psychic who warns against scammers. Anyone who clicks on it will see that not everyone is out to scam people and that there is a code of ethics that responsible readers follow.

Nevada

Every time something like this appears in the news, it just adds to all the negative hype that already exists in regard to Tarot and other forms of divination or occult service.

With all the tarot, astrological and other associations out there, maybe there needs to be one that is something like Readers Against Fortunetelling Fraud as an outcry against this sort of damaging behavior.

CelestialHorse

Would be nice if that article taught other fake psychics something but guess not. I agree it does make other really good psychics look bad but honestly I know very few as I have been ripped off so many times I have trouble trusting them. I just wish that people didn't call "real" psychics evil and associate them with the devil however :/ It's just not nice.

MrAndrewJ

Nevada said:
With all the tarot, astrological and other associations out there, maybe there needs to be one that is something like Readers Against Fortunetelling Fraud as an outcry against this sort of damaging behavior.
Their newsletter could be called the R.A.F.F. Riff

Just a stray thought.

I'm honestly jaded against family owned businesses at this point. Not necessarily the "mom & pop" store, but the ones with several generations of get-rich-quick schemers. That was how I saw this story.

Umbrae

Often, when we get the sitter with the arms crossed, closed off – this is their prior experience, and opinion of readers.

Rarely does an article come out that praises readers.

Most of the press is about fraudulent readers – they are our competition, they shape through journalists, the public opinion.

When all the public hears about is that readers are scammers – how can they draw a different conclusion?

It is an uphill battle that must be fought – with each reading we do.

It is our responsibility to help shape public opinion, one reading at a time.

Which is why when I was once accused of being a “flim-flam”, and my integrity, and the integrity of my business was impugned by libelous persons, my reaction was (and remains) vehement.

Uprightness is our only choice.

Shalom​

CottonCandy

I agree, I think the public opinion has pretty much been twisted to psychic=scammer.

A lot of people have misguided expectations of what to expect from a psychic (or tarot reader or any other "strange" service) or just plain don't know what to expect.

An organization to educate the public might actually help with this issue.

Personally, I wouldn't go to a psychic unless I felt comfortable with them to some degree. I wouldn't call some $3 a minute hot-line or just use the 1st result from searching "psychic" on google. I would probably do some research first & pick someone who seems well recommended & genuine.

But most people probably aren't going to search very much. Either they don't have time or don't know what to look for, or they just don't want to do a lot of searching.

Then again, what DO you look for?

I know enough to know that someone who says a person is "cursed" or the like & offers some cure for a huge price is probably a scammer but it would still be scary, especially if I'd thought the person seemed genuine.
And some people are good actors. How can people tell if someone is truly sincere?

That's my 2¢ anyway.

chrissydogz

CottonCandy said:
I agree, I think the public opinion has pretty much been twisted to psychic=scammer.

A lot of people have misguided expectations of what to expect from a psychic (or tarot reader or any other "strange" service) or just plain don't know what to expect.

An organization to educate the public might actually help with this issue.

Personally, I wouldn't go to a psychic unless I felt comfortable with them to some degree. I wouldn't call some $3 a minute hot-line or just use the 1st result from searching "psychic" on google. I would probably do some research first & pick someone who seems well recommended & genuine.

But most people probably aren't going to search very much. Either they don't have time or don't know what to look for, or they just don't want to do a lot of
searching.

Then again, what DO you look for?

I know enough to know that someone who says a person is "cursed" or the like & offers some cure for a huge price is probably a scammer but it would still be scary, especially if I'd thought the person seemed genuine.
And some people are good actors. How can people tell if someone is truly sincere?

That's my 2¢ anyway.
i believe that even if you do have a curse all the money in the world is NOT going to take it away. when i read for a person i make it clear that im not a miracle worker. i dont think of the reader getting a few things wrong as a red flag but if everything he/she is saying sounds obvious like"your very stressed from working hard"(no duh!lol)

or if the reader just has nothing good to say,saying things that dont even look like the cards,offering bad advice or if you catch him/her giving the same exact reading to someone else you should be worried.