Teaching Tarot

Chickadee

I've read about people teaching tarot - and I know I'm probably going to sound hugely ignorant here - but doesn't teaching someone tarot influence the way they read?

For example, my old economics studies teacher told our class that he wouldn't tell us which political party he voted for so he didn't influence our votes. He let us make our own opinions on things, research our way through our decision, etc.

Isn't it the same with tarot? If you teach someone, you're essentially forming their opinions and their ways of reading/interpreting the cards?

I just want to state that I don't mean to offend any teachers - I'm just not sure what to think about the subject. Am I completely wrong and you don't tell them how to read, you only tell them what each of the cards mean and some spreads to use?

gregory

Chickadee said:
I just want to state that I don't mean to offend any teachers - I'm just not sure what to think about the subject. Am I completely wrong and you don't tell them how to read, you only tell them what each of the cards mean and some spreads to use?
That's sort of it. Also the history and so on. And setting up practice exercises to show you how, and guiding (not TELLING) you when you get stuck.

They would tell you the various WAYS to read, I'd hope, and then let you feel for the one that suits you. Any teacher who gives the meanings and says "this is the way" - as in "use the meanings" would lose my vote, as I don't use generic meanings anyway.

That would be a good teacher, in my view.

Chickadee

I see. I guess as a teacher it'd be really hard to keep the boundary between 'guide' and 'tell'. But the teachers who do, I agree gregory, those are the best. A bit OT but does tarot have a long/detailed history?

gregory

Chickadee said:
I see. I guess as a teacher it'd be really hard to keep the boundary between 'guide' and 'tell'. But the teachers who do, I agree gregory, those are the best. A bit OT but does tarot have a long/detailed history?
OH MAN YES !!!!!

Check out the historical forum.

That's a bit mean of me: here's a useful link which also links to all sorts of other places.

And here atre the basics.

On the teaching issue - Mary Greer's book, 21 ways to read a tarot card offers several ways to read. It doesn't "corrupt". I think a good teacher should be able to do the same. But - could you not say that reading any book about "how to read" would have the same effect as what you are suggesting a teacher might have ?

Onyx

As a one who teaches Tarot to others this is a concern that I have all the time. I know that I don't want everyone to read like I do. I also know that I never wanted to read like my mentor does.

I think that it is important for a good teacher to present a variety of options. In a sense to illustrate what is possible, what is helpful and what can be considered and give room for the student to try out many different ways and see what works for them.

Tarot has a great way of teaching itself as well. With the more you use the Tarot the more that you understand how you will use the tarot. There is a lot of personal style that you bring to the cards and your own personal approach evolves as time go by as well.

So as I prepare for a class and as I extend my own personal understanding I have tried to go out of my way to look for new ways of using the cards, methods that are different from the way I use the cards and look for teachers who have alternate styles and approaches. This allows me to be more rounded and even in presenting what options are open to the students.

My main goal is to provide information, options and opportunities to explore the cards. Where they go with it is completely up to them.

Onyx.

Le Fanu

The problem is, beginners so often really, really, really, really want to have some meanings to hang onto, to clasp dear to their heart, and say *this* card means *this*.

Older, experiences readers say "oh, no, don't go with fixed meanings, just look at your cards and see what comes to mind...What do you feel?"

Id have hated it if someone had said that to me when I was starting out. That freefall, touchy-feely, vaguely non-descript technique would have just made me feel even worse.

When what actually happened with me was that I studied meanings - yes, other people's meanings - then almost without noticing, the meanings had organically "bent" into meanings which made sense to me, morphed into something quite unique. But it is a long process. And - yes - why not - start with other people's meanings. A sharp mind will question anyway.

But don't deny newbies meanings they can lay their mitts on and say "this" = "this". Or does it?

And also, teaching should involved history of the tarot too and - despite the vagueness of much of it - can be discussed objectively I think...

Sinduction

Well, I teach and I don't go into history or fixed meanings. My goal is to allow the tarot to teach them. I just set it up and am there to guide them.

I really focus on getting them to look at the cards. My students are both beginners and seasoned readers. I teach by active lessons and I also will do the lesson as an example so they don't feel lost. And I'm always available to my students if they need me. It's funny because some of them are so worried but there really is no wrong way for them to do it. For me, it's all about learning what tarot is saying to them.

As for spreads, I encourage a single daily draw or three card spread for practice.

I think the only cards I went into more detail were the courts because so many people have a hard time with them.

Aerin

Le Fanu said:
Older, experiences readers say "oh, no, don't go with fixed meanings, just look at your cards and see what comes to mind...What do you feel?"

Id have hated it if someone had said that to me when I was starting out. That freefall, touchy-feely, vaguely non-descript technique would have just made me feel even worse.

When what actually happened with me was that I studied meanings - yes, other people's meanings - then almost without noticing, the meanings had organically "bent" into meanings which made sense to me, morphed into something quite unique. But it is a long process. And - yes - why not - start with other people's meanings. A sharp mind will question anyway.

That is sort of how I learnt as well. I read so much that there's no way "one" meaning ever stuck, more a cluster or a cloud. 21 Ways and Tarot Reversals were the books that really helped me. I was also helped along the way by a Barnes and Noble online course based on Joan Bunnnings book, with a very good facilitator who was always pointing out other ways to do it.

At first Aeclectic drove me insane with all the "throw out the books and don't learn anything just look at the cards" stuff. NO!!!! I thought, and didn't - that approach didn't work for me before I had a decent grounding in the Tarot structure. I don't think it is quite so dogmatic these days as different ways of learning are more evident.

magpie9

I teach the traditional meanings as just that...and in the same session bring up various other meanings for the card, and have them examine the card to see what they see, and what the symbolism conveys to them. They then have a beginning platform for each card. In time they will, like fledglings, fly from that that branch.
My aim is to give them a solid foundation to work from, and the tools to make tarot their own. If you're gonna teach, Teach otherwise what do they want/need a teacher for?

Amanda

I had a big long post typed up, but this is basically my opinion:

A teacher doesn't influence, a teacher guides to broaden the mind.