don't you just hate it when...

Le Fanu

Don't you just hate it when you have a deck you love and - without quite realising how or when it happened - one card gets drastically bent?

I don't mean the kind of bent which is a natural part of breaking in a deck and making it loved, I mean bent so that however you look at the deck, however you shuffle the deck, there's that arch and you know exactly where the 4 of Swords is.

It isn't even a case of popping it between the pages of a book as the bend has got a crease, a slight squash (happened in my bag I think; I'm a careful shuffler) and nothing will ever iron it out.

Then as you shuffle the deck you find yourself looking for the 4 of Swords.

"Oh, there it is, Still bent."

Miss Divine

Yes I know the feeling. But I know how it got bent..my friend's toddler... grrr! It's that same toddler that creased my Greenwood companion book. :(
You see I used to let my friends borrow decks. But if they're not gonna be responsible for my things (which I don't think she was since it's happened on 2 occations), there's no way in hell I'm letting her borrow any of my decks again.

I know it sucks Le Fanu, but what can we do once it's already happened...
Nothing!

Sinduction

Argh! I so know! The Queen of Wands (not my favorite card to begin with) from my Transparent isn't cut the same way as the rest of the deck so it sticks out on the sides. Not bent exactly, but I always know where she is.

I thought about cutting or buffing it down to size but I'm too afraid to ruin it. Maybe I should just take her out. :D

Le Fanu

Sinduction said:
Argh! I so know! The Queen of Wands (not my favorite card to begin with) from my Transparent isn't cut the same way as the rest of the deck so it sticks out on the sides. Not bent exactly, but I always know where she is.
And, let me guess, each time you get it out you find yourself looking to locate the Queen of Wands. That's the bit I hate! :(

Miss Divine

Sinduction said:
I thought about cutting or buffing it down to size but I'm too afraid to ruin it. Maybe I should just take her out. :D

:D LOL

canid

Rodney just sent me a replacement Ace of Cups for my Druid Craft that was so bent it flopped & was hard to shuffle in the deck. Maybe someone has a spare for you?

Le Fanu

canid said:
Rodney just sent me a replacement Ace of Cups for my Druid Craft that was so bent it flopped & was hard to shuffle in the deck. Maybe someone has a spare for you?
Oh that's a thought... Theoretically the card wasn't "lost", so am I allowed to post in that thread?? :D

bellathebrave123

yeeeessss, this happened to me the other day with my Russian gypsy cards. I dropped one on the floor and moved my chair back to look for it. The chair is on wheels and of course the card got caught under the wheel, didnt it. I was so upset, anyone who knows this deck will remember it has only 25 cards that go together like a jogsaw, so this is a major issue :(

Le Fanu

bellathebrave123 said:
yeeeessss, this happened to me the other day with my Russian gypsy cards. I dropped one on the floor and moved my chair back to look for it. The chair is on wheels and of course the card got caught under the wheel, didnt it. I was so upset, anyone who knows this deck will remember it has only 25 cards that go together like a jogsaw, so this is a major issue :(
Ouch! That so often nearly happens when Im in my office and shuffling and I drop a card and roll back the chair to look and it amazes me that the wheels on the chair always make a bee-line for the card. I'm wise enough now to locate the card without moving the chair one inch. But there have been no end of near misses.

But my heart goes out to you!

Miss Divine

I have never creased one of my cards myself (knocks on wood).
If it's a bad crease, it can really ruin a deck for me.

Now I remember when a guy creased one of my cards by shuffling. He denied it. But I SAW it happen. I cringe how some people shuffle, they're like animals, not people!!

Nowadays, if I don't trust someone to shuffle like a normal person, I won't even let them anymore. I will shuffle and fan, and they can then pick the cards that way.