Public display of deck affection

strings of life

This thread spawned from a discussion in another thread when I mentioned how I ravenously devoured a new deck in a public place--on a train, on my way home from work--since I couldn't contain myself or patiently wait until I arrived at home.

LeFanu got his wish. This topic has been given a life :laugh:.

The scanario: a packed commuter train, large over the ear headphones to block out any distractions to focus on the task at hand. I tore apart the packaging, held the box, smiled, and opened it. More smiling. Deck removed from box. I am sure that my eyed glazed over at some point the moment that I started to peruse the cards. Were other passengers horrified? Possibly. Did they notice that these were Tarot cards? Maybe? I could have told them that they are paper, just like their book or newspaper. But, I was in my own little world. It lasted for about 15 minutes. Deck at the time: The Dark Angels Tarot. My rude behavior was nothing compared to being forced to watch someone gorging on greasy food in a public place. See, I normally contain myself, keep my packages in my tote bag and open them when I get home. And once in a while, I feel like a kid who has been given their favorite piece of candy! I can't wait! I must have it now! No self control.

There was another thread called When you get a new deck... but it is about the process of bonding with a deck for the first time. This thread is about public displays if affection with your deck. I know I'm not the only one ;).

Le Fanu

Le Fanu said:
Oh no! The mad person on the train who cannot control themselves and rips open purchases & packages in a public place to gorge! :D

I always do my best to sit there dignified, whatever goodies I have in my bag!
Le Fanu said:
I use the metro and I sit there itching and dying to look but I hate the sensation of people staring at me while I open my tarot treasures panting & salivating wildly with my eyes rolling into the back of my head! :D Oh please, someone start a thread on this; do you tear off packaging and examine in public or control yourself till you get home? :D
LOL. Great thread! That's how this subject came about.

Like I said in the other thread, I try to control myself; I sit there primly, knowing there's a new purchase in shrink-wrap in my bag. I just cannot bear strangers leering at me whilst I open & gasp & react or manifest "visibly sinking heart" upon opening a new deck.

I am among the first to arrive at work and as most of my decks get sent to work where there is always a secretary there to receive them, I go into the privacy of my office and open up uninterrupted. If it were later in the day I wouldn't get a minute's peace and would never be able to open them.

So often the secretaries are wittering on at me about something or other and I have a goodie package under my arm from an AT trade or Alida or baba store or something and I just want to slap them and run to my ofiice, tear open and GORGE like that Queen (of Swords?) in the Barbara Walker Tarot! :D

Reacting to a new deck is such a private matter, I try to avoid opening in public. But there have been spectacular fails, like stopping in the middle of the street and just not being able to control oneself! :D :D :D

hunter

I have 3 Borders stores I frequent. In one, I have squatted in the muddy entranceway, wedged between the discount bookshelves as I ripped open a deck, because I couldn't wait till I walked home. For another, I have opened the deck, while waiting for the train to come. For the 3rd one, that is in a mall, I have sat on a mall bench.

Many times I have sat in the food court of the highrise building that houses my PO box, looking at a deck.

My addiction is out of control. I'm not a closet reader, and am no better than a drinker who drinks in public. My problem is right out here for all to see. At least I have not curled up in a corner yet, cuddling my deck, because I am too overcome to make it home. Is that the next step for some of us?

I shudder to think what I will be like when the Crone deck comes in :-0

Chickadee

Ripped my first deck open right by my mailbox.

canid

Yep, I'm right there with ya. Except for the highrises. If it comes by mail, I'm usually expecting it & greeting my mailman at the road, who now 'knows'. Then I'm ripping into it & by the time I reach the front door I've got packages & parcels hanging from my mouth & under my arms, trying to reach the treasure, which is usually open before I go through the door if I can pull that blessed tab. Don't you just hate it when the tab on the shrink wrap isn't working properly? You have to go get a knife, carefully insert it hoping not to scratch a card...

OctoberGwen

Hahaha, this thread is really funny and is giving me wonderful mental images. :D I don't share the experience 'cause I'm a SAHM and get my mail at home, though.

canid

What's a SAHM? And my mail comes to my home too. Sometimes I wish I had a po box & wouldn't have to wait on a mail carrier's schedule. We're at the end of it.

Le Fanu

OctoberGwen said:
Hahaha, this thread is really funny and is giving me wonderful mental images. :D I don't share the experience 'cause I'm a SAHM and get my mail at home, though.
Don't you go to shops and get the subway/train home? or maybe you drive and you're like MysticalMoose who rips open packages while waiting at the traffic lights!

What's that Oprah campaign; don't text and drive? What about "don't tear open tarot packages while driving"!

Take the pledge!

canid

Le Fanu said:
Take the pledge!

Nope. I did it just last Friday. Deck between my legs, being perused at stops. I had to sit on my hands so I'd leave it alone while driving.

ETA: I don't have trains/trams where I live.

Le Fanu

canid said:
I had to sit on my hands so I'd leave it alone while driving
You sat on your hands while driving? :bugeyed: