U.S. Games ‘Made in China’ card decks

Noelle

I have purchased 2 U.S. Games decks that were ‘made in China’. One I gave away because I loathed the very thick cardstock (the deck cost me $70). The other was a recent purchase. When I received it and saw the 'made in China' label my heart sank.

In my opinion the cardstock of these Chinese printed decks is too thick. It makes shuffling difficult .... at least this is my experience. Does anyone else have this problem?

Although a petite woman, I have large hands so the increased size of a deck (because of increased thickness of cardstock) is not the problem for me. Shuffling these cards, which feel more like tiles than cards, is hard work - it feels like I’m forcing the cards to slot into position and too often cards fly out in the process. In comparison the USG Italian printed decks that I own feel great in the hands from the get go --- they are soft and slick to handle ---- shuffling is EFFORTLESS - the cards slide into position with ease and I never feel like I need to force the cards. Nor has there ever been any need for extended (unnecessary) hours of shuffling to ‘loosen’ these decks.

I do not know what is behind U.S. Games move to now print card decks in China ($$$ probably), but I do wonder whether they understand the primary function of any card deck is that it be ‘used’ and therefore that requires shuffling.

It has always surprised me too the level of criticism that some people have had towards the overall ‘good’ quality of the Italian printed cards (even card decks from other publishing houses like AGM).

Nobody likes thin cardstock like that of the Russian Gypsy Fortune Telling Cards, as one example; but if you go too much the other way this does not imo equate to a 'quality' deck. There is only one word I can use to describe these US Games ‘made in China’ decks ----- rubbish.

Never again will I buy another US Games ‘made in China’ card deck.

Le Fanu

Noelle said:
In my opinion the cardstock of these Chinese printed decks is too thick. It makes shuffling difficult .... at least this is my experience. Does anyone else have this problem?

I do not know what is behind U.S. Games move to now print card decks in China ($$$ probably), but I do wonder whether they understand the primary function of any card deck is that it be ‘used’ and therefore that requires shuffling.

It has always surprised me too the level of criticism that some people have had towards the overall ‘good’ quality of the Italian printed cards (even card decks from other publishing houses like AGM).

Nobody likes thin cardstock like that of the Russian Gypsy Fortune Telling Cards, as one example; but if you go too much the other way this does not imo equate to a 'quality' deck. There is only one word I can use to describe these US Games ‘made in China’ decks ----- rubbish.

Never again will I buy another US Games ‘made in China’ card deck.
What was behind US Games' decision to print new cards in China?

Us, hopefully. Or I'd like to think so.

Check out this thread if you want to hear some opinions.

I personally like the Printed In China decks and personally thanked Stuart Kaplan for making the move to China. }) Go on, hit me.

Im getting used to decks where there is only a Printed in Italy version (like the Celestial or the Fantastical Creatures etc) but when there is a choice between Italy OR Belgium/China, I'd go for the latter and I'm very happy with the China decks. I like that stiffness. never liked that glossy lacquered stuff and some of the decks bend. And the colour reproduction is not quite so sharp.

AG Muller have always been good quality and continue to be so. They don't print in Italy. It's Modiano which print in Italy.

Basically, if there is one thing which tarot has taught me on my life-long spiritual journey is that tarot fans are never going to be satisfied with their cards! ;)

I'll be intrigued to hear what others think about the new move to China.

Oh and don't buy the 2nd edition Bohemian Gothic then. It isn't US games but it was Printed in China and so far the reviews are good!

jackdaw*

It's all subjective, I guess. I haven't yet owned a recent "made in China" USG deck, so I can't comment. But I despise the Italian prints. They feel truly awful to me, and I can't stand to handle them. Now the BELGIAN prints ... lovely :)

teomat

I don't have many Italian printed decks, but of the ones I have (the Deviant Moon, Hermetic, Medieval Cat and Original RW) I agree that the quality is awful. I can just about cope with the sliminess of these decks, but the terrible pixelation on the DM, Hermetic and Medieval Cat is just appalling. It really makes me pity the deck creators who have to see their painstaking work printed so badly.

Noelle

Le Fanu said:
I personally like the Printed In China decks and personally thanked Stuart Kaplan for making the move to China. }) Go on, hit me.

Oh and don't buy the 2nd edition Bohemian Gothic then. It isn't US games but it was Printed in China and so far the reviews are good!

There's no need to be spiteful. I have no interest in the Bohemian Gothic but certainly, because of my experience, any deck made in China is one I would want to see first before any intention to buy.

If U.S. Games (or other publishers) think this is good business for them, then many tarot deck 'users' will no doubt vote with their purses by opening them. Not me. 2 times bitten .... but not a 3rd.

Silver Crow

I love my China printed decks. As soon as the printed in China DM got into my hands my Italian deck went back into its box. The Golden Tarot is DIVINE, and I could go on. I personally don't like the more shiny decks, it just doesn't feel right.

The only printed in China deck I have had the same issues with as you is the Coleman Smith Commemorative, and only after I trimmed it. After a while though, it did soften up enough so I don't have that "forced" feeling or cards popping back up.

Funny you should post this question, I was thinking last night about asking which deck is your absolute favorite card stock and print quality wise, I think you inspired me.

fferyllt

I haven't liked the feel of the new printed-in-China card stock. It feels too stiff in my hands to shuffle comfortably, so it's hard for me to work enough with a deck to get it broken in. But no question, the quality of the printed images is excellent, which is very desirable. So I don't let it stop me from buying. :)

Le Fanu

My sense - much as I like the Printed in China decks - is that they won't age particularly well. They won't age at all, in fact. That stiffness will mean they never really break in.

But like Silver Crow says, the difference between the Italian Deviant Moon and the China one is huge. I also put my 1st edition Italian back in its box and now only use the China one.

I love all the printed in China decks I have - Golden, Deviant Moon, Paulina, PCS Commemorative set, Brotherhood of Light - just to name the US Games ones.

But there are also the Kunati decks and now the Bohemian Gothic 2.

But I suspect they will never look truly broken it.

RexMalaki

Le Fanu said:
My sense - much as I like the Printed in China decks - is that they won't age particularly well. They won't age at all, in fact. That stiffness will mean they never really break in.

But I suspect they will never look truly broken it.

I am trimming and Umbrae-ing a RW-Coleman-Smith, US Games, China deck. I'm at the sandpaper-the-edges stage. Next is the real breaking in...

I'll post pic of the results; I may get to finish this weekend.