'the power of now' spreads

moderndayruth

I am not sure the thread belongs here... :confused:

Ughh, lately , when reading for myself, i am somehow overwhelmed by all the 'what can be predicted' and 'most possible outcome' positions that usually conclude the spread and the reading...

I am at that point, especially with relationship readings, where i'd like to enjoy the present moment, would like to know what the stakes are in the here/now, but am not interested in the outcome, if you see what i mean.

So, my question was - do you know of spreads that excluded the 'most possible outcome' position?
If yes, would you share them?

What i remembered is:

Traffic Light spread:
Red - don't do
Yellow - watch out
Green - do

also: Situation/ Don't do/ Do

Relationship:

*2* *3* *1*

*1*what A feels for B

*2* what B feels for A

*3* mutual

Can you think of some other? Thanks in advance!

shadowdancer

I think you could use regular spreads and maybe just not have that card as the finisher?

Or have a card in that position but word the final position in a way you feel happy with?

I do know what you mean. The outcome card is only one possible, or most likely at any given time. It only takes a couple of intervening events or variables and it throws it in the air. I have noticed lately I don't use spreads which have that as the final position.

Davina

moderndayruth

Thank you for the reply, Davina!

shadowdancer said:
I think you could use regular spreads and maybe just not have that card as the finisher?
Now, that's an idea! I think that most of the spreads (if not all) would work this way, even the CC if we leave it at Hopes& Fears, without proceeding to the final outcome!
:thumbsup:
shadowdancer said:
Or have a card in that position but word the final position in a way you feel happy with?
Yes, that's another possibility, but that confuses me personally -i am a person of a few spreads and if i rename a position, when a negative card comes to it i began like 'oh, well, maybe it doesn't mean that, but something else, you know... '... :|
shadowdancer said:
It only takes a couple of intervening events or variables and it throws it in the air.
Yes, exactly!
And, also, sometimes i simply don't care how it will end, i want to enjoy what is now. ;)
shadowdancer said:
I have noticed lately I don't use spreads which have that as the final position.
Glad ia m not the only one! :D

Alta

Yes, and besides to (probably mis-) quote Richard Feynman, "Great events cast long shadows". Meaning the bigger and more important the outcome, the more likely it is that its beginnings are already present in the 'now'. Really exploring the 'now' is so helpful as I have found out over this summer via various readings and helpfulness from other readers.

moderndayruth

Alta said:
"Great events cast long shadows". Meaning the bigger and more important the outcome, the more likely it is that its beginnings are already present in the 'now'.
Yes!!! Dear Alta, thank you for always wording perfectly what i think too, but can't manage to express eloquently! :D :thumbsup:

Alta said:
Really exploring the 'now' is so helpful ...
Yes, couldn't agree more!

franniee

Hi MDR! :heart:

Why don't you throw 3 cards and ask what do I need to know about this relationship and see what you get? What is important for me to know - to see - to learn whatever it is you think. I love throwing down a few cards and seeing the way they interact and combine - that is my answer.

Don't think where is this going to go but what is this about.

The base or shadow card can also be used to see the crux of the matter or the real issue that will be addressed.....

is that what you mean?
:love:

lark

You could try THE PRESENT MOMENT SPREAD...from the Playing Card Oracles.

4 cards
one on top of another like a body.
#1 Top card: HEAD
This represents like the big picture for the day...or the main theme of the relationship at the moment.

#2 the Throat
All about how you will be communicating to each other today.

*This is a really interesting position because it not only tells you the tone of communication, but it can tell you if you will see each other or how you will communicate.... like by phone, text, in person etc.

#3 The Torso
This position is all about the feelings and emotions of the moment.

#4 The Foot
This position is about your foundation ...practical matters between you for the day.
Like what you will be doing in the day...daily routines, dinners, hobbies, possessions, housing issues are here too...all the practical matters inside a relationship.

So there are no predictive cards just whats going on in this little frame work of the moment...what will this day be like with my sweetie.

And you can use this as just a general daily spread or use it for any topic, besides relationships.

JSNYC

I think this an excellent thread, moderndayruth. I also completely agree with Alta. I believe, and it is also explicitly expressed in the Yijing (I Ching), that The seeds of the future are sown in the present, thus to truly know the present is to know the future (and the past). Thus I read spreads with an outcome position basically as merely an indication of the direction, a "signpost" on the path. If one views a sign on the highway, "Chicago 200 miles", that could be a "prediction" if that is one's intended destination, or it could be a warning if it is not.

However, the opinions expressed in your thread are (at least partially) what prompted me to create the Four Noble Truths spread. That spread is specifically (and deeply) focused on the present.
Click here to view the thread: Four Noble Truths spread

I see so many new readers wondering why they can't predict the future, often thinking if they learn more or study more they will be able to do it. Every time I read a post like that I can't help but think that their trying to predict the future is precisely why they can't.

Flaxen

I don't often do predictive spreads for myself. My daily card draw tends to be very reflective. One I particularly love is one that I saw on Tarotdame's blog.

3 cards: something to think about, something to do and something to love

I get so much from this simple spread.

Also, a simple 2 card spread: something to cultivate, something to prune.

These give me a lot of insight for spreads that look deceptively simple.

moderndayruth

franniee said:

Hello dear! :heart:
franniee said:
Why don't you throw 3 cards and ask what do I need to know about this relationship and see what you get?:
Ohh, but you are great with no positions readings - i don't make as much sense from those as you do. :(

franniee said:
What is important for me to know - to see - to learn whatever it is you think. I love throwing down a few cards and seeing the way they interact and combine - that is my answer.
Hmm, i do that - but with TdM and without having any concrete situation on my mind; i just lay down the cards and enjoy contemplating - as you say, how they interact and combine... Great suggestion though, i'll try these 'free falling' readings for more concrete situations!

franniee said:
Don't think where is this going to go but what is this about.
Yes, that was my point! :thumbsup:

franniee said:
The base or shadow card can also be used to see the crux of the matter or the real issue that will be addressed.....
True, i also always include it!

franniee said:
is that what you mean?
:love:
Yes, thank you very much! :heart: