A perfect day of readings

Herzog

Local coffee shop held an in house event for their customers and they asked if I would read. The whole thing lasted a couple of hours. I ended up doing about fifteen readings.
I didn't charge the store because I really just wanted the experience and to hand out my card. The manager ended up giving a very generous gift certificate which for me is perfect cause Im always buying coffee in this place :)

Free events are perfect for the beginner. They are less stressful, they build confidence with public readings, and it's a great way to promote for private parties. I handed out a bunch of cards and met people face to face.

nisaba

HerzogIsGod said:
Local coffee shop held an in house event for their customers and they asked if I would read. The whole thing lasted a couple of hours. I ended up doing about fifteen readings.
I didn't charge the store because I really just wanted the experience and to hand out my card. The manager ended up giving a very generous gift certificate which for me is perfect cause Im always buying coffee in this place :)
Well done!

HerzogIsGod said:
Free events are perfect for the beginner. They are less stressful, they build confidence with public readings, and it's a great way to promote for private parties. I handed out a bunch of cards and met people face to face.
Free events are not too bad for the more experienced journeyman, either, as they give an opportunity to get your name out there - and another opportunity to do good work for other people! I remember with great pleasure a fund-raising day held by my daughter's school many years ago (I've forgotten all the other ones where I just did ordinary stuff), in which I had a table set up in the playground and "read fortunes" while other mothers sold toffees or fairy-cakes. Charged everyone full-price, and donated every cent to the school's roof-repairs that they were fund-raising for. Handed out a shirtload of cards. Got a shirtload of repeat business from impressed people who were pleased I was prepared to give away so much money. The local newspaper ran an item on me. It all went very well, and all because I decided to be unselfish for a day. :)

Fund-raisers give me such a good feeling.

starrystarrynight

Outstanding!

Herzog

I remember sitting there at one point, just feeling good about "the work". Today I read an interview with Dan Pelletier conducted by Enrique Enriquez. He talks about "taking the art to the streets" and the importance of "sitting face to face with strangers." This is exactly how I've become a better magician over the years. A magician can practice in front of a mirror all day every day, study every move, technique, and new trick that comes along, but until he experiences the "face to face" of a real live audiences with all its quirks and curve balls, until he puts a smile on some kids face when he waves his hand over a coin and it changes into a cookie, the art will always be stuck up in his head in the land of theories and he will never learn the "finesse" of magic or the impact it could have on another human being.

I admit it was just a couple of hours in a local coffee shop, but it really meant a lot to be thanked for doing something I love

shelikes2read

nisaba said:
Well done!

Free events are not too bad for the more experienced journeyman, either, as they give an opportunity to get your name out there - and another opportunity to do good work for other people! I remember with great pleasure a fund-raising day held by my daughter's school many years ago (I've forgotten all the other ones where I just did ordinary stuff), in which I had a table set up in the playground and "read fortunes" while other mothers sold toffees or fairy-cakes. Charged everyone full-price, and donated every cent to the school's roof-repairs that they were fund-raising for. Handed out a shirtload of cards. Got a shirtload of repeat business from impressed people who were pleased I was prepared to give away so much money. The local newspaper ran an item on me. It all went very well, and all because I decided to be unselfish for a day. :)

Fund-raisers give me such a good feeling.
I hear that! One of my early "public" events was a fundraiser that someone I knew online was running. At the time, I was barely making ends meet with my day job, so I hardly had any spare cash to donate. So I read at a table during the fundraiser, figuring, "If I can't donate money, I can help raise funds instead." End result: funds got raised, people got readings, I got some hands-on experience at doing readings for strangers. Win/win/win. :)

I'm glad you had such a great day, HerzogIsGod! :)

Moonbow

Nice job! Did you use your Noblet for these readings? I believe customers like to see the old-type decks.

Herzog

Moonbow* said:
Nice job! Did you use your Noblet for these readings? I believe customers like to see the old-type decks.

I really wanted to, and I even brought it along... but my confidence with non-illustrated pips just isn't there yet... soon though, very very soon :)

I used my beloved Anna K.