PDA

View Full Version : John Dee's Scrying Mirror

Magicienne
04-09-2010, 00:11
I am currently in London and yesterday I went to the British Museum to look at the magical artifacts once belonging to John Dee who was a magician and astrologer to Queen Elizabeth I. The are fascinating, you can take a look here: http://www.britishmuseum.org/explore/highlights/highlight_objects/pe_mla/d/dr_dees_magic.aspx

Anyway, I was especially drawn to the scrying mirror. Now I would not consider myself psychic or clairvoyant and while I work with tarot and astrology I consider myself more intuitive or sensitive rather than psychic.
However as I looked at the mirror and felt myself seem to gaze "through" it, faces began to appear to me not in my minds eye but in the mirror! It seemed as though the mirror were a window and that many people were jostling to peer though it into the room and at me. The faces seemed to belong to people of the past and I saw one rather demonic looking face but only briefly. I also saw the face of John Dee himself. I was very surprised by this but not afraid. I stopped looking at the mirror and walked away from the mirror for a few minutes.
I then returned and looked again through the mirror and the same thing happened, all these faces appeared to me. It was not an upsetting experiance but one I have never had before. The only difference is that recently I have had therapy from a transpersonal therapist and have been doing a lot of inner journeying and meeting my guides so perhaps that has set something off.
After I left the Museum I went ot Atlantis the occult bookshop near by and was looking at a book called The Occult Philosophy in the Elizabethan Age by Frances Yates which contains a chapter on Dr Dee. I really wanted to read it but it was 12 and too expensive for me. I noted down the title and left. Then about 2 minutes later on a whim I went into a leftwing book shop I was passing and on the second hand shelf sat a copy of the very same book for 1!
I very surprising day for me, I am keen to see if I can try scrying again at home and looking forward to reading the book as it feels it was put in my hands by fate!

Ms Magpie
04-09-2010, 02:46
Greetings!

What an experience and yes that book was ment for you. When situations come to me like this, it is like the universe smacks you upside your head and says pay attention!

Barbara

Flaxen
04-09-2010, 02:56
He is such an interesting figure, I think.

There is also a great chapter on him in 'The Book of English Magic' by Sir Richard Heygate and Philip Carr-Gomm.

celticnoodle
04-09-2010, 06:07
wow Magicienne! it sounds to me as if this is to be your calling now and a path you should explore! how exciting and how wonderful also that you found that book in the 2nd hand shop! looking forward to see how you go forward with this.

Magicienne
04-09-2010, 12:57
Thanks everyone! Yes it really was quite an experiance and I am interested to try again. I have a small crystal ball at home but have been looking at the obsidian mirrors you can buy online (like the dee mirror). I wonder if it is only all the energy in the mirror that John Dee used that prompted what I saw or if I could do the same with another mirror?

Flaxen, strangely enough I picked up a copy of The Book of English Magic earlier this week when I visited a family member who lives outside of London. I saw the title and bought it (again cheaply) on a whim. I did not notice the chapter on Dee until you mentioned it. How strange!

graspee
04-09-2010, 14:12
While I'm sure an obsidian mirror, being the same thing that Dee used would be very nice, they can be quite expensive for a decent sized one.

All over the web are pages about how to make your own, here's one example:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2276484_make-scrying-mirror.html

Basically you are just getting a cheap picture frame and painting the back of the glass with black paint.

More than one person swears they have got good results by using these home-made mirrors, so maybe you could give it a spin! :) Best wishes and good luck with your scrying.

cardlady22
04-09-2010, 15:25
You could also decorate the frame with cabochons or wire-wrapped beads of real gemstones that seem appropriately suited.

Lunalyn
05-09-2010, 18:30
hi Magicienne
that was a great experience you had in the museum.
good luck with all your reading now with those two books.
I haven't read them but I'm sure they'll be very interesting.

lyn

Le Fanu
06-09-2010, 00:44
Shaman's Crystals (http://www.shamanscrystal.co.uk/index.php) in the Uk have some beautifully simple obsidian disks. You can also get obsidian palm-stones from the Holistic Shop.

I have one which I adore. It is about 15 cm diameter and 1 cm thick. A slab of deep, velvety obsidian. They also do a smaller one.

I don't profess to call myself a scryer but this is the only stone that really gets me going! I also have an obsidian sphere. I look into them and lose myself. I would say I meditate into them rather than scry.

But my disk is beautiful, and no distracting borders. I found a very old wooden stand on the flea market, like a plate stand but must be over 100 years old in very good, weathered wood. Very beautiful and crafted with such love. I always have my disk sitting on this on my tarot table.

SPIRIT HAWK
06-09-2010, 01:00
wow thats a really amazing story and soo magical too ,
next time i am in london i think i maywell take a look , its just so uncanny the way events and experiences bring us in contact with things , people and others, so cool the way this has happend , whtAs meant for you wont pass by you !!!as i always say speacily when i miss oppertunitys, but on a oppertunity like being able to buy your book at the secondhand book store , well it definately was truly meant for you huh , blessings XS-HX

Sulis
06-09-2010, 01:25
You could try filling a black bowl with water - you may be able to scry in that.
I use a rainbow obsidian sphere for scrying but obsidian can be expensive. Try making your own (as linked to above) by painting the wrong side of the glass in a picture frame or an old clock face (good because of the curve) with black paint. If you can scry in a black mirror you should be able to scry with a home-made one too.

celticnoodle
06-09-2010, 12:00
I agree with those who've mentioned trying to make one yourself. quite honestly, you can learn to scry with most anything! people do use a bowl of water, crystal bowl with water, or plain, or even a very dark bowl w/water.
mirrors, painted black, a flame from a candle, the tiles on the floor. you can pretty much try to scry with anything and can be successful. but, I like the idea of 'making your own tool', as there is something about this that makes it 'more' for yourself. your own. you put yourself into the tool. and, if it doesn't work, you're not out much--and then can move on to try something else until you find what it is that works for you.