Devil Card found in Head Shop! Should I throw the deck away?!!!

tarot heart

This past weekend I was in Riudoso, New Mexico and found an old copy of
T: The New Tarot in an old head shop. The deck and box were in really good condition but I did not look through all the cards before I bought it. It was so cheap, I figured what the heck. When I was going through the cards this morning I found an old, old, old Devil card tucked in amongst the rest of the deck. The card is really old, faded and major league creepy! I just don't know why it was in the middle of the deck.

Does anyone know if this deck is used in magic or devil worship? If so, I just might want to get rid of it. Again, this devil card looks like it passed through the hands of thousands of people, that's how worn and faded it is. Any advice would be appreciated.

OctoberGwen

I have no idea, but I wouldn't throw it away. You could probably sell it as a "haunted tarot card" on ebay for big bucks! ;)

Seriously, it sounds intriguing rather than frightening to me. Most items with history are, though. That card aside, how does the deck make you feel?

The crowned one

It is just an image, not the devil. I would keep it, but you have to go with what will make you comfortable based on your perceptions and beliefs.

Send me the image. I would love to see it.

AS far as the deck goes, I can only speak for myself. I have not used it for anything like magic or devil worship ;) Personally I would keep the deck, it the card really creeps you, take it out of the deck. If a cleansing ritual would give you peace, then do one. My last house I had to have blessed for my ex wife...she kept phoning me at work saying she is certain there is someone in the basement. I would drive home look around find nothing and dive back to work... After having the house blessed for her, she was fine. You have to do what will give you the greatest peace.

Sulis

Devil worship? Does such a thing actually exist or is it just a myth put about to scare people? There are Satanists but they certainly aren't 'Devil worshippers'. I use decks for magic but there's nothing sinister about it at all: Magic is natural.

As for the deck; do what you're comfortable with it. If you believe that it could have been used for bad things because it has an old Devil card in there and you know that that's going to freak you out then get rid of it. It's a bit of a personal thing really but it sounds like your worried already so it may not be the deck for you.

I think it sounds intriguing. Maybe you could scan the card in question and post it here. Someone may know which deck it's from.

queenxofxwands

pardon my ignorance, but what on earth is an old head shop???

Sulis

queenxofxwands said:
pardon my ignorance, but what on earth is an old head shop???
A shop that sells smoking stuff, hippy tat, Eastern ornaments etc.

The dictionary says 'noun - a store that sells drug-related paraphernalia'.

Baroli

And expression used back in the 60s with the hippies (yay hippies!!) to describe a shop that sold incense, paraphenalia, and if you went into certain back rooms of certains stores, sold you your dope. Ahhhh, those were the good ol days.

The place usually wreaked of strong incense to mask the smell of people trying samples of a "rolled cigarette of the finest a dime could buy."

tarot heart

Well, I know the card is from an old Rider Waite Smith deck but I am not familiar with the back of the card, it looks like an ankh (spelling?) symbol. The card looks worse sitting here on my desk than it does in the picture. Also, I just noticed there is a small black marking over the man's face. It looks like +V whatever that may mean. It could be something else entirely. It's weird how the picture just doesn't capture how old this card looks.

Perhaps I should just throw the Devil card away. The rest of the deck doesn't bother me at all.

Thanks for all your opinions. It has helped to get some feedback. I think the card bothered me mostly because it was tucked in between the rest of the deck. It seemed like a hidden message. Weird.

Attachments

• RWS old.jpg
    RWS old.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 268
  • RWS old back.jpg
    RWS old back.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 251

queenxofxwands

Ahhhh thank you

tarot heart

Cleansing ritual

crowned one:

how exactly do you do a cleanising ritual...I have never felt the need to do one...until now :bugeyed: