Where do old decks go when they're ready to be put out to pasture?

intuition897

My first and favorite deck - my Gilded Tarot - has been around the block a time or two. I spilled tea on them literally 5 minutes after I got them out of the wrapper. My dog has chewed on them. And of course they're scuffed and worn from shuffling and whatnot. Now they're still in decent shape considering this, but I'm becoming more aware lately that they aren't going to last forever. I think, before I need to make the decision, I will give them to a friend of mine who shows some serious intuitive potential and a strong interest in the Tarot. This notion was one of those out-of-the-blue-swerve-into-oncoming-traffic thoughts that usually leads you down a more interesting path, so I'm sure I'll listen to it.

But if I wasn't such a coward I would have to decide what to do with my aging deck. What do you all do with your decks when you need to retire them? Do you keep using them until they're literally falling apart? Do you put them on a shelf? Burn them? Bury them? After all these cards have taught me, the idea of just tossing them in the trash feels almost sacrilege. They seem like friends, or at least a valuable tool to be respected. You could always do what I'm going to do and give them as a gift to someone while they still have a bit of life left in them. But eventually, someone ends up with a REALLY old, REALLY worn out old deck. What do you do?

Lillie

If I was you I'd keep it.
Put it in a special box on a shelf and keep it to remind yourself of your tarot beginnings.

It obviously sounds like it's special to you, so why not keep it?
It's not like it's going to take up vast amounts of space like an old fridge does.

And I kept an old fridge for years once because I was fond of it...

Chiska

My 20+ year old Mythic Tarot deck has kitten chewed edges, was drenched in a Double Tall Mocha (by same kitty), they are stained, and floppy looking, and in some places, bits are missing. At least they no longer smell like spoilt milk!

However.

This is my every day deck. I wouldn't get rid of it because it was old and worn! I will use them until they disintegrate in my hands. No matter how many other decks I have, these will ALWAYS be my special cards.

intuition897

Lillie said:
And I kept an old fridge for years once because I was fond of it...

LOL I had thought about keeping them, but I really don't like the idea of becoming attached to any material thing when it's more practical to do otherwise. Nothing on this earth lasts. This voice that told me to give Kim my Gilded deck is the same one that told me to offer the new girl a ride home from the kids' playgroup. Taking that one chance was a good choice; she and I have been very good close friends ever since. That was over a decade ago.

Kim will give my old deck a good home. And I asked my deck if I should give it to her. It seemed to say yes...I think. I'll have to post my reading and see if anyone thinks otherwise.

intuition897

Chiska said:
My 20+ year old Mythic Tarot deck has kitten chewed edges, was drenched in a Double Tall Mocha (by same kitty), they are stained, and floppy looking, and in some places, bits are missing. At least they no longer smell like spoilt milk!

However.

This is my every day deck. I wouldn't get rid of it because it was old and worn! I will use them until they disintegrate in my hands. No matter how many other decks I have, these will ALWAYS be my special cards.

That's how I feel about this deck. It's my comfort zone. But I think this is exactly why it's the perfect deck to give. For some reason, I feel less happy about giving a "lesser" deck. But I'll probably go out and buy myself another new Gilded Tarot. Why wouldn't I give her the new one, then? Because the old deck is already "experienced" and broken in, and hopefully pre-loaded with some good energy. We'll see what happens; I'm still wavering.

Grizabella

I've kept some of my decks longer than I kept a couple of my husbands.

If it's a deck you've used that much and you love it, put it away and keep it. Don't give it away. Let others wear in their own decks. It takes a lot of love and patience and hard work to wear in a deck. Its meaning is to you, but wouldn't be to someone else, probably, and what an ignominious ending for a glorious, beloved deck to just be given away, thrown away or buried in the cold, hard ground. :)

Marcia959

Old decks never die. They just get the bad end of the deal.

Chiriku

It sounds like you really feel good about the idea of giving your deck to this friend. Your mind has seized on the idea and probably won't let go of it for quite some time.

I say you should give your mind what it wants, an it harm none. And I don't think this would harm anyone!

nisaba

Keep using it until it falls apart. A while ago now, I bought a second hand Balbi deck which was so well-used that the cards were almost transparent, and certainly translucent.

nisaba

I've long been thinking of opening a new service for selected Tarot-lovers.

When they replace a worn deck and they don't know what to do with it, I would offer them my postal address. For a small fee (I could discount that to zero, if needed), I would accept their worn and loved decks into my care, once they've been replaced.

I would wrap them in silks or bags, and make them feel beautiful.

I would store them in a mammoth wicker basket with a whole lot of in-service decks, so that they don't feel retired and useless.

I would pull them out occasionally, at random times, and play with them, so that they get to communicate with the outside world and don't become reclusive and withdrawn, which is always a bad indication medically speaking.

In short, I'm willing to sacrifice my time and space to create a Home for Retired Decks. I'd engage them in work-like hobbies, just like human retirement centres, so that to the very end of their days they, like human retirees, can feel like Useful Members of the Community.

And who knows - in time, the community will learn to love their elders and learn from their accumulated wisdom.

It's a huge sacrifice I'd be making, but if there is a real problem with finding suitable care for Senior Decks, I'm willing to step into the breach.