When cards tell you what you already know.

Golden Moon

How do you feel when you read for yourself and your cards tell you what you already know? Do you feel disappointed expecting something different? Do you feel pleased that they are able to get into your thoughts and feelings?

I, myself, feel thrilled that they are able to dig in me. It just shows how connected and in tune my cards are to me.

What are you thoughts about this?

Vesper

When this happens, I wonder if I'm asking the right questions. There is always another way to phrase my query, and maybe I'm not getting to the heart of the matter.

It's like when you're agonizing about a break up and you ask the cards over and over "what happened?" and the cards tell you what you already know, then it might be time to ask, "what was my part in these events; what is my pattern of romantic choices or behaviors?"

nisaba

Golden Moon said:
How do you feel when you read for yourself and your cards tell you what you already know? Do you feel disappointed expecting something different? Do you feel thrilled that they are able to get into your thoughts and feelings?
Sometimes you read looking for totally unknown information. And sometimes you read looking for some verification of your own thought-processes or feelings or chojices of action in a given situation.

In the former case, I'd be disappointed. (I don't see how it would happen, anyway).

In the latter case, I'd be pleased - it would indicate that my decision-making or my own perceptions of a given situation had been on-track already.

"Pleased" is a better word than "thrilled", which implies some element of surprise. I actually *expect* my cards to "be able to get into my thoughts and feelings" - it is their job.

Morwenna

I sigh and say to myself, "Yeah, I knew that; I guess I'd better get off my duff..." :)

Chiriku

Every single reading I've ever done tells me something I already knew in some way or another.

That's one of the reasons I read for myself only sporadically--self-readings don't "give me" as much as I feel they give others.

I'm an excessive over-thinker, so I have already considered and reviewed and reviewed again my life path, goals, current problems, successes, relationships, and so forth. And I am honest with myself, too. I can see all sides of issues that affect me, and I go back and forth playing Devil's Advocate with myself.

As if that weren't enough, I also have a tight-knit family that serves as each other's permanent sounding boards and perspective-offerers. They are like my "tarot cards in human form." :D

The upshot is that "counseling" and "self-reflection" readings don't give me an opportunity to understand something better or differently about myself/life. It feels like what it is--well-trodden ground.

That's not to say I dislike reading for myself. It's just not high on my priority list. There are other things I do with tarot.

SunChariot

I had to stop and think about this one. I don't think it's happened to me that a reading tells me only things I already know. If it starts by telling me something I know there's always a reason. And it goes on the tell me why it is happening or what to do about it. But a reading that tells me only things I know and stops there, that's never happened to me.

Maybe because I don't want to accept that from a reading and I'd keep looking at the image until I saw more.

Babs

Aerin

SunChariot said:
I had to stop and think about this one. I don't think it's happened to me that a reading tells me only things I already know. If it starts by telling me something I know there's always a reason. And it goes on the tell me why it is happening or what to do about it. But a reading that tells me only things I know and stops there, that's never happened to me.

Maybe because I don't want to accept that from a reading and I'd keep looking at the image until I saw more.

Babs

It hasn't to me either, if you mean by the original question knowing consciously.

I have had quite a few "aha!" moments with the cards where they have dug something out of me that I may have known deep down, but not in the same way. Without the cards I would never have looked at some things in a certain way/ known what to do about them.

Or at least it would have taken a great deal longer to come to the same conclusion.