What Do You Say You Do?

Muir Aingeal

For those of you lucky enough to be able to read tarot professionally without another outside job. What do you say you do for work when random strangers ask you what your job is? Do you tell them the truth? or are you vague?

214red

I dont read full time yet, but i decided to answer this one anyway. I dont hide what i do, most people at work know i read, i am very open with that information. i also moved recently and was open with my flatmates what i did.

Why be ashamed of what you do, if you are, why do it?

Bernice

Muir Aingeal said:
For those of you lucky enough to be able to read tarot professionally without another outside job. What do you say you do for work when random strangers ask you what your job is? Do you tell them the truth? or are you vague?
I should imagine you'd say, "I'm a Tarot (or card) Reader". But I expect there are several ways of saying this. Self-employment is a business after all.

Bee :)

re-pete-a

I read cards. That's it !

nisaba

Muir Aingeal said:
Depends on the person.

Whatever I say, though, I say it with complete pride and matter-of-factness, and not a trace of embarrassment or apology.

shadowdancer

Well, in my case it is not my main job, so I have never had to consider what I say. If it was may main job I am fairly comfortable in saying "I am a reader of tarot cards" - but would also be aware of time, place and company in saying so. If asked I would be honest. If it didn't come up in conversation, in some settings I would not just offer the information. If I know it would cause offence, or cause people to sidle away from me, I may just not say anything. If asked it would be a different matter though. I would not want to 'hide' what I do, but nor would I want to cause offence if I am the visitor or guest in those circumstances. If I am not likely to meet those people again, I would want to part with my energies good, and not with any ego around me of "I told them, and tough if they didn't like it"

I have once not said anything, and that was because I didn't want to give the woman any chance to form an opinion of me based on something she knew nothing about. It was a social night out with my partner and his work colleagues - the first time he had done this and the first time I had met them. The wife of the guy who was sitting at our table looked like she had been chewing a wasp for most of it anyways. I just didn't want another hour or two of having that directed at me - I wanted my partner to be able to enjoy his night out. This has been the first time I think I have preferred to keep quiet.

In the main? I would say what I do, no shadow of a doubt.

Moonbow

I'm afraid I don't understand why, if you are a professional Tarot reader, that you wouldn't tell people what you do! Your next reading could be coming from those 'random strangers' so why tell them you do something else. You need to market yourself, build up a reputation and client base, allow word of mouth to spread and not suppress it, so if you don't admit to being a Tarot reader how can that be done.

Muir Aingeal

Where I live, people tend to turn their nose down on tarot readers and that's why I asked...even if it's just something you enjoy doing. I would suspect if you told people here that it was your "job" all hell would break loose. I made the mistake of telling my hairdresser once that I read cards and it wasn't pretty.

Wisp Wings

This isn't my job, but would like to reply. I understand not being able to say, except in certain company. I live in the South and here even those wanting a reading are 'in the closet' so to speak. Unless if you happen to be of kindred spirits and can sense this, people here will usually group you (to their minds in two closely related groups) and a third group..........1. you are the devil's spawn, 2. you are an out right witch and they should ran and fetch the torch to burn you, or 3. when they thought you were so bright and intellegent before, they now know you've lost your marbles and it is a hushed subject, because any that are aware of this know how sad this is... so best to act as if this was never spoke of and go along with business as usual.

I work with a very, small staff of people. Four that I worked with I've openly shared it with them. Two aren't there any more, so of no account now, but one of them is in town and I've read for her and a member of her family and they had readings that happened later as I named it, so she and her's know of its merits. Of the two still there, one that I am close to, I know for sure thinks #3, but is pretty certain of 1 and 2 as well. The other wants anything and everything she can get for free. I haven't read for her, I think she would be classing me as in all three groups. However, the reason that I haven't read for her is she is all wants, wants, wants... and flies from one thing to the next as fast as she can flitter. So I am certain she would be one that wants a freebie, doesn't really pay attention (unless if feeding what she wants to hear... ego), wouldn't really value a reading, because this is all play any way (right?), then tell all that you are in all three groups and get her padded room ready.

A neighnor that would have classed me as #3, after her first reading was surprised and it came true. After another reading, she knew this was for real and that what came about was secret info., so how could I get that? Between the two readings, she had some trying to tell her this is not real and all fake. She shared the last part because of the results of the reading, in countering what others have told her.

I have shared with people because I want to be true to me, as me and even to total strangers when asking questions. More than a few times I've bought notions and fabrics for tarot bags and some have to know what you are making with the pretty items. I don't lie and say bags for jewelry. I tell them tarot bags and if I get the look of not understanding I educate then and there. All said, still I do not wish to be flamed figuratively or literally.

(sorry its long)

lionel

Interesting topic. Wisp, your post definitely had an impact on me - there is still a Lot of superstition and prejudice surrounding things like Tarot cards, ranging from outright suspicion that we're dabbling in dark magic, knowingly or otherwise, to the belief that its a worthless profession for lazy dreamers which contributes nothing to society.

I am a professional tarot card reader. When I am not sensing a client in a person asking, I sometimes say I work in a bookshop, since I do. When I don't feel like the topic is something like religion or politics to mention my job, I say: "I read tarot cards professionally." Sometimes I add that I teach and write on the subject also, since that lends it an air of 'job'ness for people who aren't sure how to feel about it :)

It sounds easy to say 'Be loud and proud!' but the truth is, people have strong opinions on this that aren't even their own - their views are often culturally transmitted and totally stereotypical. People don't really confront their biases on this topic because few people actually know a professional tarot reader. The community of people reading cards and similar professions is well served by not being divisive for the sake of challenging old views - at least not uselessly by tapping into people's prejudice out in the open. Then they're in a position where they feel they have to defend how they react, out loud or inside themselves.

So, sometimes for me, that means not advertising my profession with someone I don't know until I have the spaciousness to discuss it with them. Anyone I know personally knows I read cards, but telling strangers I just meet? Well it depends on my mood and their attitude.

Besides, even if they aren't against it, it almost invariably turns into discussion, and I don't always want to talk about work. :)