splitting or peeling cardstock?

greatdane

Anyone ever have a deck that wasn't laminated start to peel or split into layers and, more importantly, find any solutions?

Thanks!

GD

Lillie

Can't say I've had it happen to cards, but I've had it happen to book covers and stuff like that.

What I do is get a glue stick like Prit stick (do you have that where you are? It's like a white stick of glue that works like a lipstick) and put glue on the inside of the open bit, I use something thin like another bit of card to make sure it gets right down the bottom of the 'valley', and then I press it shut and put something heavy on it.

It seems to work OK. Maybe it would work for cards too.

canid

I've had it happen to cards I've damaged, not ones that just inadvertently happened. In that case, I use either nail glue or Superglue (really the same thing, I think) to carefully glue the edges together. Carefully. You don't want to get stuck on yourself. :royal:

Glitterbird

The only time I've had that happen is after the deck got wet. Thank goodness it was my child's pokemon cards and not a tarot deck :D

greatdane

Thanks All!!

Wish there was something like nail polish (ok, obviously not using that, but you get what mean!) one could put on the edges of unlaminated cards to give them a little extra protection and as a preventative. I'm fine with unlaminated decks, as long as they don't split!

EarthFaery

I have this problem with all of my regularly used decks. When it starts to get really bad, I have to replace it. I tried trimming once but they didn't shuffle the same. I think it's the oils from the hands getting between the layers during shuffling.

greatdane

Good to know, EarthFaery!

Thanks for your thoughts. There should be something that's made for unlaminated cardstock one could use to gently coat edges when new so it prevents it from happening, or at least helps. I wonder why there isn't something on the market like that? There are lots of unlaminated decks and it seems well worth having a product like that around.

MareSaturni

Well, actually it may happen even to laminated decks. Sometimes the lamination itself may peel, and the edges of the cards may split due to shuffling. It depends on the quality of the lamination, and the quality of the cardstock.

Nailpolish works, but only if it's not a "workhorse" deck. If you use it and shuffle it a lot, the nailpolish will wear off quickly and leave the corners and edges of the deck unprotected again.

If your deck is not laminated, perhaps you should look for a way of getting it laminated in the first place? I know that some folks here have laminated decks in the past, but I have no idea how...

cardlady22

I've read that coatings (spray and brush) can cause the cardstock to curl, but I wonder if using Mod Podge with a fine enough tipped tool would seal card edges???

greatdane

Interesting thought, CardLady!

With how much of an investment decks can be, it seems there should be SOMETHING on the market that would help protect cards. Something one could spray on or lightly brush on that wouldn't hurt the cards, but dry hard and not affect the quality of the card. I'm surprised this doesn't come up more. Surely there are other readers who wish there was something like this!