Suits and Elements

greatdane

Everyone was most kind in sharing their thoughts re the seasons and suits.

Now for this one, why some decks switch Swords and Wands, some see Swords as Air, others as Fire. Some see Wands as Fire, others see it as Air.

Would love to hear ATers perspectives.

GD

Sulis

For me Swords have to be Air and Wands have to be Fire but I know that some Wiccan traditions have the correspondences the other way around so maybe that's why some decks make the switch.

As far as I'm aware people who use Swords / Fire think that swords are forged in flame so that's where it comes from and wood grows in the air (I think, I'm really not sure though).

Wands to me have to be Fire because they are made from living wood and the element of Fire is the spark, the living energy of a thing.
Air is thoughts, the mind, beginnings, communication and sometimes problems and strife... That fits well with the image of a sword which is a weapon (as the mind and the tongue can also be) but is also a symbol of truth, power and justice.

greatdane

Thank You, Sulis!

That helped me immensely! It just gets a tad confusing wondering why some decks list wands and swords as one element and other decks switch them.

That's why I love this forum! It's like Bing for tarot readers, only better!

Blessings,

GD

Caedryn

I agree with Sulis. As well, swords=cold steel, they are operated in the air. Cold is also associated with the north where cold air/wind comes from. Cool, calculated thought=air.

~ C

Grigori

This recent thread in the Golden Dawn forum may be useful :)

greatdane

Thank you, Grigori!

It's lovely when ATers can direct me to a link! There's SOOO MUCH great info here, that's the problem, there's soooo much lol.

GD

Brigid

I agree 100% with Sulis, then I add:
Swords - Air = East, for me this is where the day begins with the sun rising in the east symbolising 'breath of life' the birth of thoughts. For me this is Spring. The Elemental is the Sylph.

Wands - Fire = North, this is where the sun is at noon in my location, it is the red of passions and life blood, the 'fire in the belly' to me this has to be Summer. The Elemental is the Salamander.

Cups - Water = West, it's the rain, the fluid of our bodies, our inner dreams. For me this is when the moon touches the water at Twilight, Autumn. The Elemental is the Undine.

Pentacles - Earth = South, the earth see's death and rebirth over and over, it feeds and and gives knowledge in the form of crystals, to me caves are sacred and give shelter from Winter. The Elemental is the Gnome.

This is just my personal version, that makes sense to me. I like to immerse myself in the local seasons.

greatdane

Thanks, Brigid!

I enjoyed reading your perspective. It makes so much more sense when ATers share their thoughts, then just reading it in a book or other source with no explanation! Particularly when there are ones that both contradict AND don't explain!

Brigid

Thanks GD. :)
I just realised I put this in the wrong thread.. I've posted it over in your 'Seasons' thread. :D