Learning Tarot for the First Time...

Black Crosis

Hello everyone!

Let me just start by saying I'm really new to the Tarot. I'm on my 6th week of study and am only halfway through learning the basic meanings of the deck - I've gotten through the 40 Minors (not including the Courts). I'm taking it slow because I don't want to jam through all the cards and then go back to the beginning because I didn't retain everything. I'm starting this thread because I've gotten through the first half and though I have retained what I've learned so far, I’m feeling a bit frazzled by the whole process. Essentially I’m wondering what others have found useful for learning and am really interested in tips/advice or constructive criticism for my methods so far. Let me introduce you to what I’ve been up to:

Firstly, I began “studying” the Tarot before I started “learning” it. I won’t be shy, I initially started studying for a pencil-and-paper Roleplaying Setting I’m designing which has a very heavy occult influence and though I don’t see the Tarot as an occult Art, most others don’t see it the same way. I’ve always been drawn to the idea of the Tarot for multiple reasons: I am a Roleplayer, I am an ex-veteran Magic: The Gathering player, I am naturally analytic & intuitive, and I am a Psychology major. As a Roleplayer, Tarot cards are a wonderful and exciting way to bring characters into the real world without needing to revert to Styrofoam sword and chainmail in a park somewhere, (in my personal opinion: that’s not roleplaying,). As an ex-vet MTG player, I miss utilizing cards and finding interesting connections between them in seemingly random sequences. As a natural empathy with excellent analytic skills, I can already read practically anyone like a book from simply looking at them. The Tarot offers to help me utilize these abilities for others’ benefit. As a Psychology major, the Tarot offers exciting possibilities as a tool to become more aware of one’s own subconscious thoughts and motivations. All-in-all, you could say the Tarot offers me a perfect outlet for my skills and hobbies.

I can’t say I believe in the Tarot’s ability to “divine” the future or that I even believe there’s much that the Reader does other than learn the cards’ meanings and the appropriate spreads for whatever question is asked. From what little I’ve learned, (I’m willing to admit that my perceptions may change when I’m actually able to do readings,) and my own knowledge of the ways peoples’ minds work, it seems to me all the hard work is done by the Querent’s subconscious mind. From what I can tell, the Reader is responsible for applying certain filters to customize a card’s meaning for their client. First, the Question: it will determine what meaning to look for in the cards. Second, the Spread: it will refine the information to be obtained. Third, the Positions: the placement of the card in the spread will show the Reader what meaning their looking for in the card. Fourth, the Card: it will provide the idea to be thought of and after applying the three previous “filters”, this meaning should be pretty apparent to anyone who has much skill with analysis. I would normally say that the Querent is the very first filter, but it seems to me that since you can’t always read your Querent, you can rely on the four “filters” to provide a fairly accurate reading of any card. Once the Reader relays their knowledge based upon the filters, it’s the Querent’s job to make the important connections. Some they may be aware of by using their conscious mind while others may be more mysterious or “spooky” because they are more open to receiving incite from their subconscious mind after being given the idea to be considered. Now, I am not stating that I don’t believe in the divine. I am actually highly spiritual. I just don’t believe that a mortal-made tool is anything more than that. A tool.

Now that I’ve probably ticked off some hardcore believers of the Tarot’s “divine” or “spiritual” influences, I should remind everyone: I recognize I haven’t gotten very far into the Tarot Arts and don’t pretend to be all-knowing or even unreceptive to other possibilities for later in my path. I simply think you should hear my side before I continue so you know where I’m coming from. Now, on to what I’ve been doing to learn the cards.

What I’ve noticed in several books and online guides, the most general way to learn each card is to record its meanings in a journal and find a connection to those meanings and the card illustration by way of listing or describing events/situations/people in the same journal. I was very careful only to read the methodology for learning from those sources to best choose a method that might work well for me. I found this generalized method to be too slow and ineffective, but I couldn’t find anything better, so I modified it. Here’s what I do:

In a journal I record an entry for each card and write the following:
1. List the card meanings.
2. Describe a personal experience that reminds me of those meanings and try to use all of them when I’m writing it down.
3. The same as #2, only with an experience of someone else I know.

4. Between each step I take the card in my hand and recite the meaning while trying to connect each one to a particular image in the card.
5. After I am done with the journal entry I take all the Suit cards of the matching suit I’ve already covered into my hands and go through them and their meanings verbally. Then I move to the next card in the suit.
6. After I’m done with a Suit, I do this flash card technique with all the cards I’ve learned to that point.

This method has been working fine in learning the meanings, but I find that with the cards whose meanings are difficult for me to remember, I end up relying on the imagery of the card in order to jog my memory. I am using the Gilded Tarot to learn due to being fairly easy to relate their imagery to the general meanings of the cards. However, I don’t want to rely on the imagery to remember what each card means. I have other decks and though I’m keeping them in their packaging and am not polluting my mind with other images at this point, I’m eventually going to want to break them out and use them. I understand that many believe you must take the card meanings straight from the illustrations and interpret them personally, but I want to learn the general meanings widely accepted first before I begin making up my own. I’d like these meanings to transcend decks and be able to recall them without needing to think of the Gilded Tarot’s imagery in order to remember what these meanings are.

There’s also the issue of speed. I am, by nature, impatient and I’m not afraid to admit it. But that’s not because I try to rush things, it’s because I lose motivation, (not interest,) in anything VERY quickly; usually days. It’s been 6 weeks with the Tarot, which means I’m really loving it and have found uncommon drive, but I’m beginning to feel the wear and tear of the process beginning to get to me. I’m not sure how much longer I can keep my focus. Once I learn the cards, I am certain my drive will become renewed with the vigor to practice my knowledge until I can see and understand the cards in my dreams. I could REALLY use some pointers on how to speed up or make the remainder of this process less tedious or more enjoyable.

I don’t want to use the method of “practicing/learning by Reading for others” based on an ethical dilemma. Due to understanding the power of the subconscious, I am aware that even if someone doesn’t take the cards or the reading seriously, the “idea” has been planted and cannot be removed. Kind of like if I tell you not to think of an elephant. What’s the first thing you think of? Likely, it’s an elephant. When manipulating the subconscious, (which is what Tarot does,) you are manipulating the perceptions of people in their lives, whether they’re aware of it or not. Even if they wouldn’t give it much thought, say you Read that they will get a new job opportunity and chance has it that they get a new job opportunity that very same day. Do you think they would forget what you Read? No. Ten years from now they’d still be sharing the story at cocktail parties and bars whenever that job or when the Tarot was brought up. That’s not even taking into consideration that they’d probably take the Tarot more seriously along with your subsequent Readings. To the field of Psychology this is akin to giving a single lecture on brain surgery to a med student and then handing them a scalpel and asking them to operate on a terminal patient with a rare tumor. NOT a good idea. So, as a Psych major, I can’t ethically “practice” on others until I have become more experienced using myself as the “test dummy”. I have the basic training necessary to understand where and how these mental influences work and can thusly defeat any potential damage I may experience from a horrendously bad Reading.

Given everything I’ve shared about my views, methods, and ethics, I believe you now have a pretty good idea of what I’m dealing with. Like I said, my concern is losing my drive to complete my studies due to inherent motivation problems and a slow, tedious learning process. I would really appreciate it if those with similar problems or knowledge of appropriate solutions would help by giving their constructive criticism, advice, experiences, methods, or anything else that may help in my endeavors.

I thank you all for your time (in reading all this and your detailed responses), effort, and diligence,

-Black Crosis

Mellifluous

Well, I can see why you're getting bogged down. It is a tedious, thorough process you're going through there. You sound extremely patient, though you say you're not! :joke:

Since you don't believe in divining and you're responsibly choosing not to read for others until you know what you're doing, I'd say: start reading for yourself. A lot. Record the readings in the journal. Do that for at least a couple weeks, and then if you want to go back to this method until you've completed the deck, at least you will have had a change of pace.

You can do some psychological exploring of yourself.

You can read about your past experiences (i.e., instead of drawing a card for study and relating it to past experiences, think about a past experience while shuffling and draw a card, or even up to three cards, and see how you get on).

You can read about the present.

You can read about the weather.

You can read about tv programs, books you're reading, fictional characters, institutions and establishments you are familiar with, incidents and figures from history, stuff you see in the news, celebrities, hobbies, pets, etc.

You can also read about (not for) people you know, just thinking of their overall personality and then drawing a card and seeing how it matches what you know of that person.

(These last two suggestions seem similar to me to what you were saying about the cards and games, but I am not a gamer so I may have misunderstood. It's not clear to me whether you were using tarot for gaming years ago, or only in the last six weeks. Whichever, you can use tarot this way. lol)

You can ask philosophical questions and see what you think the cards are giving you as answers (e.g., a few people here recently asked the cards: what really happens to a person after death?).

Basically, I think you need to start reading - at least for a while, to mix things up and keep it interesting. Putting the cards into use and then journalling the readings will be really helpful. You don't have to try to predict anything, or get anyone else to be your guinea pig, and there's still lots of topics to read about. Have fun with it, don't take it too seriously and remember it's part of your learning process. No pressure to get things 'right' or to be amazed by every reading. lol

Bonus: you'll be able to see which cards you feel confident about interpreting that you haven't even studied yet. :)

I think you'll find that personal (or tentative personal) meanings will (a) be very similar to the general meanings in most cases, when you go back and complete your study of those, and (b) hold across different decks for the most part, despite variations in artwork.

**If that idea still really grates though, just read with the reduced deck of 40 minor arcana cards that you've already learned. Leave the others to the side.**

Hope something in this helps or inspires a workable idea for you.

Happy tarot-ing and welcome to the forums! :party:

PS I'd stick to one-card draws or three-card draws for now, and you can start trying out three-card spreads (i.e., with positional meanings) - or not, as you choose. Some just read straight across as a sentence. Others put more emphasis on the center card. Etc., etc. It's all up to you. Lots of variables to play around with, even starting small.

MrAndrewJ

A fellow game and skeptic. Hello!

Yes, reading for yourself and keeping a journal will do a lot of good. I treat it entirely as meditation- divination is not my interest either. I also do keep a journal. Yes, it is much slower, but the act of doing does help retention.

I also made myself a cheat sheet. Elements of the suits and court cards. Meanings of numbers. It's about 3/4 page in landscape mode. Then I aimed to memorize that one sheet. It works for me to have a broad overview of the minors.

My cards are mainly a writing aid. I still read to learn the cards and meditate on my life. But again, not to divine. So, you're not alone.

Best of luck!

Edit: drawing a card every morning at random has been another tool for me.

jcwirish

Just a thought, but why don't you join one of the newbie exchanges or try pulling a card and just letting your intuition tell you what it's trying to convey to you?

It's good to get a general feel for the basic meanings, but every deck is different, and general meanings don't always apply. I know most of us start by reading books on the meanings and memorizing them, but that's not really tarot. And, this isn't a criticism at all, I've done the same thing too.

When you get past the books and definitions, tarot can begin to open all sorts of doors for you, even if you don't see it as having any divinatory elements. It's a tool that will help you delve into your unconscious and get to the heart of who you are and what you're avoiding. It can put you on a path of growth and self-revelation. Just try to stay open to the possibilities. Tarot has done a lot for me on a spiritual, as well as, psychological level.

Welcome to the forum and I do hope you enjoy your time here. There are so many great study threads that might make your studies a bit more interesting too.

Amanda

Black Crosis said:
Hello everyone!

Let me just start by saying I'm really new to the Tarot. I'm on my 6th week of study and am only halfway through learning the basic meanings of the deck - I've gotten through the 40 Minors (not including the Courts). I'm taking it slow because I don't want to jam through all the cards and then go back to the beginning because I didn't retain everything. I'm starting this thread because I've gotten through the first half and though I have retained what I've learned so far, I’m feeling a bit frazzled by the whole process. Essentially I’m wondering what others have found useful for learning and am really interested in tips/advice or constructive criticism for my methods so far. Let me introduce you to what I’ve been up to:

If you're feeling frazzled by your current process, quit doing it that way. I also, want to point out that you say 'the' process; not your process, and there is your first problem. You are trying to do everything imaginable that is out there and already been discovered and accepted by others. That's probably the Aquarian in you- to find the greater solution... and it's no secret that Pisceans have a better view outside of themselves, than within themselves.

Firstly, I began “studying” the Tarot before I started “learning” it. I won’t be shy, I initially started studying for a pencil-and-paper Roleplaying Setting I’m designing which has a very heavy occult influence and though I don’t see the Tarot as an occult Art, most others don’t see it the same way. I’ve always been drawn to the idea of the Tarot for multiple reasons: I am a Roleplayer, I am an ex-veteran Magic: The Gathering player, I am naturally analytic & intuitive, and I am a Psychology major. As a Roleplayer, Tarot cards are a wonderful and exciting way to bring characters into the real world without needing to revert to Styrofoam sword and chainmail in a park somewhere, (in my personal opinion: that’s not roleplaying,). As an ex-vet MTG player, I miss utilizing cards and finding interesting connections between them in seemingly random sequences. As a natural empathy with excellent analytic skills, I can already read practically anyone like a book from simply looking at them. The Tarot offers to help me utilize these abilities for others’ benefit. As a Psychology major, the Tarot offers exciting possibilities as a tool to become more aware of one’s own subconscious thoughts and motivations. All-in-all, you could say the Tarot offers me a perfect outlet for my skills and hobbies.

These are all wonderful things about yourself, and they may aide you in your own self-discovery and interpretations of the tarot cards. Perhaps also, this is a display of your subconscious need to prove yourself in this arena as well.

I can’t say I believe in the Tarot’s ability to “divine” the future or that I even believe there’s much that the Reader does other than learn the cards’ meanings and the appropriate spreads for whatever question is asked. From what little I’ve learned, (I’m willing to admit that my perceptions may change when I’m actually able to do readings,) and my own knowledge of the ways peoples’ minds work, it seems to me all the hard work is done by the Querent’s subconscious mind. From what I can tell, the Reader is responsible for applying certain filters to customize a card’s meaning for their client. First, the Question: it will determine what meaning to look for in the cards. Second, the Spread: it will refine the information to be obtained. Third, the Positions: the placement of the card in the spread will show the Reader what meaning their looking for in the card. Fourth, the Card: it will provide the idea to be thought of and after applying the three previous “filters”, this meaning should be pretty apparent to anyone who has much skill with analysis. I would normally say that the Querent is the very first filter, but it seems to me that since you can’t always read your Querent, you can rely on the four “filters” to provide a fairly accurate reading of any card. Once the Reader relays their knowledge based upon the filters, it’s the Querent’s job to make the important connections. Some they may be aware of by using their conscious mind while others may be more mysterious or “spooky” because they are more open to receiving incite from their subconscious mind after being given the idea to be considered. Now, I am not stating that I don’t believe in the divine. I am actually highly spiritual. I just don’t believe that a mortal-made tool is anything more than that. A tool.

As far as physics has proved, everything is made up of energy. It's even proved that there are 'things' that are invisible that make something solid, liquid, or gas. But as far as I'm concerned, science and spirit meet somewhere and cannot exist without the other. That is why, you can fully pick apart a tarot reading and nail things analytically, or take the shortcut method and intuit the answers (in my opinion). We analyze impulses, we analyze our thoughts, we analyze our feelings, we analyze our actions- so why can't we also experience an impulse in our thinking, an impulse in our feeling, an impulse in our actions; or feel our impulses, feel our thoughts, feel our actions; or sense a reaction to an impulse, sense a reaction to a feeling, sense a reaction to a thought...? Who is to say, that by reacting to something, a choice-how one feels about it-and how one thinks about it- hasn't already happened, in a flash, before reacting?

The tarot, in my opinion, is a medium through which these processes can be more easily understood. And if you aren't quite sure what I'm talking about, I've just described the elemental characteristics; wands=impulse, cups=feeling, swords=thought, and pentacles=reaction. Of course, these are my own observations... my point is that, nothing in this universe is truly separate of another. The subconscious mind is affected by the conscious mind and vice versa. "Divination" (in my opinion) is the higher end of "science" that we've not yet discovered. And "science" is the physical representation of what we have discovered about the "divine".

Boy, do we have a long ways to go! :D

Tarot cards are a part of that energetic system. They may appear to be pieces of paper and ink, but they are an extension of our own existence, and that's why they work. They allow us to connect those unseen energies of our impulses, minds, hearts, and reactions- to the person we are reading for. And that's why it's so powerful (and confusing) to read for oneself.

So, I have to ask you- if tarot is just a mortal-made tool, then what are mortals made of?

Now that I’ve probably ticked off some hardcore believers of the Tarot’s “divine” or “spiritual” influences, I should remind everyone: I recognize I haven’t gotten very far into the Tarot Arts and don’t pretend to be all-knowing or even unreceptive to other possibilities for later in my path. I simply think you should hear my side before I continue so you know where I’m coming from. Now, on to what I’ve been doing to learn the cards.

I just have to say, that "belief" is not far off from "logic". Two-sides to the same coin, in my opinion.

What I’ve noticed in several books and online guides, the most general way to learn each card is to record its meanings in a journal and find a connection to those meanings and the card illustration by way of listing or describing events/situations/people in the same journal. I was very careful only to read the methodology for learning from those sources to best choose a method that might work well for me. I found this generalized method to be too slow and ineffective, but I couldn’t find anything better, so I modified it. Here’s what I do:

In a journal I record an entry for each card and write the following:
1. List the card meanings.
2. Describe a personal experience that reminds me of those meanings and try to use all of them when I’m writing it down.
3. The same as #2, only with an experience of someone else I know.

4. Between each step I take the card in my hand and recite the meaning while trying to connect each one to a particular image in the card.
5. After I am done with the journal entry I take all the Suit cards of the matching suit I’ve already covered into my hands and go through them and their meanings verbally. Then I move to the next card in the suit.
6. After I’m done with a Suit, I do this flash card technique with all the cards I’ve learned to that point.

Have you heard the saying, "People will always remember how you make them feel." ?? Yes, by all means- learn some stuff that's already out there and generally accepted about tarot cards. But don't forget to go by your impulses, your feelings, and your reactions as well. A lot of that is just going to require a good hard look at the card, and doing some readings. Trial and error. Right now, you're operating "sword-heavy" and making things more difficult for yourself.

This method has been working fine in learning the meanings, but I find that with the cards whose meanings are difficult for me to remember, I end up relying on the imagery of the card in order to jog my memory. I am using the Gilded Tarot to learn due to being fairly easy to relate their imagery to the general meanings of the cards. However, I don’t want to rely on the imagery to remember what each card means. I have other decks and though I’m keeping them in their packaging and am not polluting my mind with other images at this point, I’m eventually going to want to break them out and use them. I understand that many believe you must take the card meanings straight from the illustrations and interpret them personally, but I want to learn the general meanings widely accepted first before I begin making up my own. I’d like these meanings to transcend decks and be able to recall them without needing to think of the Gilded Tarot’s imagery in order to remember what these meanings are.

Impossible. I'm sure your brain is quite large, but you cannot just rely on your analytics to truly and fully learn anything. Some cards are going to appeal more to your impulses, your emotions, or draw up a reaction.

You said you were a psychology major- what happens to a child born with no other human contact what-so-ever? They don't thrive very well or for very long... do they?

Same concept when learning anything, and learning tarot. You need to allow it to affect you in ways you aren't accustomed to (which is just about everything but your logic) if you want to try to fully understand it, or at least... try.

There’s also the issue of speed. I am, by nature, impatient and I’m not afraid to admit it. But that’s not because I try to rush things, it’s because I lose motivation, (not interest,) in anything VERY quickly; usually days. It’s been 6 weeks with the Tarot, which means I’m really loving it and have found uncommon drive, but I’m beginning to feel the wear and tear of the process beginning to get to me. I’m not sure how much longer I can keep my focus. Once I learn the cards, I am certain my drive will become renewed with the vigor to practice my knowledge until I can see and understand the cards in my dreams. I could REALLY use some pointers on how to speed up or make the remainder of this process less tedious or more enjoyable.

You'll lose your momentum on a sword alone, eventually... in a world that encompasses impulse, emotion, and reaction as well. Quit trying to think too much. Set aside the "study plan" - I think you've probably done quite enough of that.

I don’t want to use the method of “practicing/learning by Reading for others” based on an ethical dilemma. Due to understanding the power of the subconscious, I am aware that even if someone doesn’t take the cards or the reading seriously, the “idea” has been planted and cannot be removed. Kind of like if I tell you not to think of an elephant. What’s the first thing you think of? Likely, it’s an elephant. When manipulating the subconscious, (which is what Tarot does,) you are manipulating the perceptions of people in their lives, whether they’re aware of it or not. Even if they wouldn’t give it much thought, say you Read that they will get a new job opportunity and chance has it that they get a new job opportunity that very same day. Do you think they would forget what you Read? No. Ten years from now they’d still be sharing the story at cocktail parties and bars whenever that job or when the Tarot was brought up. That’s not even taking into consideration that they’d probably take the Tarot more seriously along with your subsequent Readings. To the field of Psychology this is akin to giving a single lecture on brain surgery to a med student and then handing them a scalpel and asking them to operate on a terminal patient with a rare tumor. NOT a good idea. So, as a Psych major, I can’t ethically “practice” on others until I have become more experienced using myself as the “test dummy”. I have the basic training necessary to understand where and how these mental influences work and can thusly defeat any potential damage I may experience from a horrendously bad Reading.

Here is where you're not responsible for someone's choices. However, you do have a point about "planting seeds" - so you better plant good/helpful ones... this will take your ability to identify a problem through tarot and diffuse it. This is where your logical, sword energy comes back in. And belief. You're forgetting that the med student has the choice and ability to say, "No, I'm not ready."

Given everything I’ve shared about my views, methods, and ethics, I believe you now have a pretty good idea of what I’m dealing with. Like I said, my concern is losing my drive to complete my studies due to inherent motivation problems and a slow, tedious learning process. I would really appreciate it if those with similar problems or knowledge of appropriate solutions would help by giving their constructive criticism, advice, experiences, methods, or anything else that may help in my endeavors.

Trust me, I'm quite familiar with your dilemma. I've been "studying" tarot for 8 years. I've been on this site for 1 year. I think I've learned more by sharing, reading, and exchanging here than I could ever do on my own. My "learning" of the tarot rapidly advanced far beyond that of what I could probably ever do on my own with a "plan".

Aerin

I've never read to divine the future because I don't believe that it is set in stone (and even if it is I don't think that's a healthy belief for me to have). There's a huge diversity in people's beliefs about Tarot on this board (thank goodness!).

If you pushed me then I'd say that the cards you draw are random, but the combination of the wonderful images, open mind and your inner wisdom/ knowledge come together in a reading. I do read about the future but I think of it like weather forecasting, some futures are more likely than others given what's happened up until now. When I read for myself I do it to get a different perspective on something that is bothering me or that I'm curious about.

Some people take to reading the cards, as against remembering the meanings you have read in a book, more easily than others. I spent at least the first two years feeling that I'd never be able to do it until things started to come together but over ten years on and I am still learning.

The single book that helped me to realise that there was more to Tarot than trying to remember a bunch of meanings was Mary Greer's 'Tarot for Yourself'.

Like others, I also found that pulling just one card a day very useful. Sometimes relating a card to the day you have just had is just as, if not more useful than using one at the start of the day and noticing what relates to it. Sometimes I kept/ keep a journal and it is extremely useful to look back on.

I started with the Majors only. Don't be in too much of a hurry, really it takes time.

Black Crosis

Keep it coming!

Hello all!

I'm still VERY interested in hearing more suggestions, but I would just like to take the opportunity to say "Thanks o' so much" at this moment in time! You've all been extremely helpful in helping at least direct my thoughts elsewhere long enough to regroup from my hard work with the Tarot. I'd also like to say Thanks for all the words of encouragement and the warm welcomes to the forums.

I'm already beginning to feel some of the ol' desire start to return, but I hold no illusions. It could very well dwindle very easily. I've been buying books and decks recently to keep my interest piqued. It is a lot easier when you tell yourself, "Hey! You can't stop now! You've spent over $200 on Tarot supplies you haven't used, yet! 11 books and 7 decks, bud,". I don't know. Maybe it's just me, but that seems to help keep me diligent.

Mellifluous:
Thank you for your words of encouragement and your many suggestions! They sound wonderful and, at the very least, something to try. You put a lot of work into helping me and I just want to let you know it won’t go to waste! Thanks!

RexMalaki:
Thank you for the resources. Your dialogue was very interesting and I’m about to sit down and read “The Process” and see how it applies to my learning methods. Thanks, again!

MrAndrewJ:
It is very nice to hear from someone with a bit of skepticism and similar grounds on the divinatory nature of the Tarot. It is also nice to hear that my methods are validated by someone who knows that they will help my memory retention. You tip on a One-Page Cheat Sheet I will definitely try out! I enjoy hearing what you use your cards for and feel that you and I are most definitely of a similar mindset.

jcwirish:
The newbie exchange idea is a great help! Thanks! Where do I go to find those? I do most definitely plan on letting my intuition take over on my readings, but first I’d like to get some of the general meanings memorized due to 2 reasons:
1. I want a static set of meanings to always come to mind so that every time I read a card I don’t read it differently necessarily.
2. Though intuitive, I can be dense and miss some obvious meanings very easily. For instance, the first time I looked at the Death card, I thought of only trauma, the end of something, and bad luck. I COMPLETELY missed the idea that it is the end of part of your journey and to reach the bounty of the next phase, you must pass through the hardship of something coming to an end.

Amanda_04:
Wow, the amount of effort you put into answering my post is simply staggering and I whole-heartedly thank you for it! It is always REALLY nice to get true constructive criticism from someone with such a diplomatic way of stating that I’m making some amateur mistakes. I figured I was, which is why I came here. I knew I would and it is nice to have someone help point me in a different direction. Thank you, again, for all your time, effort, and advice!

Aerin:
Thank you for your take on the Tarot and suggestion of Greer’s “Tarot for Yourself”. I do, in fact, already own that book, but haven’t actually looked at it yet. I may have to look it over to see if it gives me some of the same insight you’re talking about. Thanks, again!

To everyone, thank you once again!

I am still thirsty for information and suggestions, constructive criticism and viewpoints! Please, don’t think anything you share will go to waste. I plan to take everything into consideration as I am halfway through some of the basic meanings and I don’t plan to go anywhere anytime soon. I will most definitely utilize some advice, keep other advice in mind, and implement some new study practices. Thanks to all of you! Keep feeding me information and I’ll keep improving.

Thank you all for your efforts, patience, sincerity, and help!

-Black Crosis

jcwirish

Hi again.

You can search the forum for reading exchanges to help you find one that will work for you. There may not be one going on right now, but they always come up.

What deck are you using right now? You can go to "Tarot Study Groups", go to the index thread, and see if there is a study group for your deck. It may not be a thread that is active right now, but you can read through all the old posts for additional insights, and to see how others view the cards. If you post your own thoughts, chances are someone will come along and respond to you.

There's so much information and insight here. There are some very talented and experienced readers to talk to. I honestly didn't understand a thing about tarot until I found my way here, and I'd been playing with decks for over a decade. You truly are in the best place to learn in leaps and bounds.

Another thought, there are always several people offering readings for feedback. You might want to have a few readings done for you to see how it works for you. You can then leave a detailed feedback for the reader, rather than having to read for them. Getting readings done from experienced readers is another great way for you to learn.

Mellifluous

You're quite welcome. :)

Good luck and have fun!