Do you ever have doubts?

Magicienne

I have a long relationship with the Tarot and it has been an important tool in my life but sometimes I do have doubts about it.
Anybody else ever experiance this?

Ange

Frequently....and eventually the doubts won and my decks lie in a drawer upstairs and I only use oracle cards now.

Put the doubts away, not the decks. Put them out of your mind and get your cards out and just enjoy them for what they are, something that feels good in your hands, a deck that you can shuffle and pull a card for yourself, enjoy the artwork.

Get over your doubts....don't be like me and give in to them, cos if you do, it's a long struggle back...one that I didn't make.

Good luck...:)

Ange x

NikkiB

I think I treat everything with a healthy scepticism, and to be honest I think i initially did the thing that a lot of people do with horescopes ie, if I like it it must be right and if I don't who believes in it anyway...

As I have worked with it a bit more I have come to trust it although I think my worry with anything like that tarot, pendulum is if it is being influanced by anything negative and there are games so I am careful to do quite a lot of protection stuff....

For me my relationship with Tarot is very new and i'm still in the enthusiastic stage but my experiance is limited, I guess I will be more concrete in my opinions with more experiance...

What sort of doubts are you experiancing?

Astraea

Here's how I've worked it out for myself, and I have no idea if I'm right or wrong...this is just what works for me, allowing me to use my cards and still be intellectually honest with myself.

I think that the capacity to interpret and understand relationships between symbols lies within us, and is not dependent on external agencies...but the "prompts" provided by tarot and oracle decks can stimulate our own capacities to organize and make sense of what is happening.

Personally, I've never been convinced that tarot was originally intended to be anything other than a card game; but over time, and with continued focused use, a path has been worn in the collective human psyche that has allowed divination with cards to acquire its own reality and authenticity. Just my take on it.

Libra8ca

I used to doubt the tarot, but not anymore. I have seen it work, but I still need to work on my intuitive skills.

One problem I have is that I don't have a lot of time to spend with my cards; especially during the week. I often quickly pull some cards but don't spend the time I should meditating / journaling the results.

I have also noticed the more I rush a reading the less likely I am to see what the cards are really telling me. I almost always see how the cards relate to the events afterwards !! (at least for short term predictions) and I have become better at anticipating the results. I now know it works but I still need to work on my skills .... a lot ;)

Le Fanu

Oh dear, yes..

To be honest I think all cards upright and reversed, with any conceivable meaning, relate - at any given time - to some aspect of ourselves and that aspect of ourselves wakes up when we hear it in a reading and we go "yes, yes, yes, 'tis true!"

I feel that a tarot reading casts random combinations of possibilities which invariably shed light on our situation. We make a story out of it and we get another perspective on our dilemma. I don't think it is mystical, sadly. I think the mind hears something which resonates and says "yes".

And then there are the difficult clients who say "no" :(

I hope I haven't come across as negative. I :heart: my tarot cards and wouldn't be without them!

Cocobird55

I look at tarot as a way to contact the universe and get messages from it. I do believe that the cards have meanings, and can relate to what is going on in my life. I tend to ask for guidance and help making decisions, rather than predictively.

I have gotten some amazing readings from the cards. I also get some readings that don't apply to anything, but that's okay. Overall I'm very satisfied with my tarot experiences.

The crowned one

I never have doubts because I know the cards are only as good as me and my ability.Sometimes that is not too good, sometimes I am amazing. As I am aware of this bad readings have little impact on me as far as my life goes, but my ego suffers a little ;)

It is good to question, it a a valuable learning tool and a great way to expand your horizons beyond tarot.

euripides

Magicienne said:
I have a long relationship with the Tarot and it has been an important tool in my life but sometimes I do have doubts about it.
Anybody else ever experiance this?

I'm a rationalist. I don't believe in any gods. I think the universe 'just is' and that most 'signs' and 'miracles' are co-incidence or nature at work. But I read tarot. Synchronicity happens all the time, I pull cards and they are clearly relevant. I've even had an occasion where I've had a complex, strong reading that I didn't understand, that 'came true' - I looked back at my reading journal and got goosebumps. (It wasn't something vague, either - it was very precise).

I usually think of it as a way to help open us up to our subconsious.

turtlebite

I don't understand the question. Doubts about what?

Doubts that it tells the future? No, it does that. No doubt.
Doubts that it's supernatural, as euripides and others have interpreted the question? I'm not a believer either.
Doubts that it's helpful? Yes, I do have doubts about that from time to time, but when it's not it's because of my own flaws because as Le Fanu said we see what we see base on our own experiences to a certain extent. I think it's our willingness to try to step outside our biases and see things from different angles that make tarot helpful or not.

I had an experience recently where I told a deck to shut up because I didn't like what I saw. The truth hurts. If I believed in the supernatural aspect then I guess I might be worried the deck would be angry with me, but because I don't believe in that it's really just a good illustration about how tarot is only as helpful as you make it.