Deck Sabbatical?

greatdane

Not tarot sabbatical, but deck-acquiring sabbatical. Anyone else ever think about taking a break from acquiring more decks and concentrate on ones they have for awhile? Even though I don't have lots, sometimes I feel like someone who is buying several cars before not only breaking each car in and getting used to driving it, but before I realllly learn to drive period.

I know with really experienced readers, this isn't an issue.

Just wondering if there are others who sometimes feel they just want to concentrate on getting know what they have, at least a bit, and becoming better readers, before going out looking for the next pretty one, and the next pretty one.....

amethyst57

so tempting to buy new ones....a little voice in my head keeps telling me to buy a new tarot, a new playing card deck or even buy an oracle deck...can't make up my mind about which oracle deck yet LOL
but i feel the same way you do, i want to concentrate on the 2 decks i have first, before i venture on...

Aerin

Often.

I once even did it and got rid of a whole load of decks.

Then....

1. I missed out on some decks that I really wanted and then had to pay wayyyy over the odds for them.

2. I'd sent away at least one deck that I had to buy again and it took me a few years to find it.

So now I find that while I don't seek out decks, they seem to seek me out and while I do limit the amount I spend I don't just not buy.

I should say that while I read with every deck sometimes, there are really only three or four that get a very regular outing. I find it much, much easier these days to pick up any deck and read with it even though some speak to me far more than others.

The one tradition that I haven't made any serious attempt to get to grips with is the Thoth (I do have one right now, I traded away two of them previously).

MareSaturni

I'm giving a break right now. Mainly for monetary reasons - it became too expensive to keep importing decks out of whim. Deck + shipping + converting dollars to my local money... I had to stop if I was to save my salary to do other things in my life.

But while I still have decks in my wishlist, I realize that now that I have controlled my buying impulse, it's easier for me to pass most of decks I see. I look at them and think "nice... but I don't think I'd really use it." Of course, if my Must Have Deck shows up for sale (and if I have money), I'll buy it, but it's no longer a compulsion.

Personally, getting less decks (or not getting them at all) has really helped me to go back to the ones I already own. I've been taking more time to study & use them, because I don't have One New Exciting Deck waiting for me every couple of days.

And I find myself amazed by how many nice decks I already have! It's been a pleasure to re-explore my own collection!

The fact that the IDS and PDR threads are alive and going strong is the proof that giving a break on the deck-buying and concentrating on one deck only can be a wonderful experience. :)

Kimberlee

I'm attempting to slow down! I need to, most definitely. Yet I know in the upcoming months, there are a few that I want to get if possible (the Science, Steampunk, and the new Blake, for starters). Even though I'm in the IDS, I do not refrain from purchasing! Just from actively using other decks.

I do agree, that it is beneficial after a period of buying, to relax and get to know what you have. After all, today we are a bit spoiled in how many decks we can choose from! From what I understand (being a youngster) not too long ago, there were only a handful of decks to choose from. Today, the sheer amount of choices can make learning and appreciating what we have more difficult!

ilweran

For me it's cyclical. I'll get quite a few decks in a short space of time then won't buy any for a while. Of course finances have an effect on this as well - currently some decorating, plus a holiday, plus new kitten = no recent new decks for me!!

greatdane

Thanks All!

REALLY enjoyed reading all your thoughts and perspectives. I SO get you don't want to miss out on an oop or a long awaited deck! Thank goodness I now have the Anna and the BoGothic! Those were the ones I was waiting for. I certainly am not suggesting anyone just not get decks til they've studied each one they have for a long time. I was just wondering if anyone else ever felt the way I did re wanting to get to know the decks I have a bit before venturing on. If there was a deck I realllly wanted out there (that I could afford), I would get it. I'm just lucky right now there isn't. I'm happy with what I have and would like to just work on those for a few months.

What's ironic...I had nothing on my wish list and still wound up with two decks that now I am happy I have. One came with a book, I thought was just the book (a whole 1.54 on Amazon, so never thought the deck would come with it!) and the other is the Vampire Tarot by Place (thanks Bhakti!) that I had waffled on and bhakti gifted to me. I am really enjoying it. Maybe some decks DO just make their way to us.

Blessings all,

GD

Vesper

Yes, sometimes I feel a little sick and overwhelmed at the thought of how much untouched media I have in my house. I've made myself a deal that I don't buy any more books until I've read a few of the many (cheap, used) books I bought this year.

Also this year I purchased 20 tarot and oracle decks. That's way more than I need. And a few I realize were mistakes. So I'm trying not to buy any more decks unless

1. they REALLY strike me, and
2. they have limited availability

Mass market decks which look as if they will be around awhile, I'm letting go of for now. I wouldn't call this a sabbatical, more like a tarot diet. I haven't stopped acquiring, but I've cut way back to decks I think may not be around for long and which I might really feel bad about missing out on.

greatdane

Makes sense to me, evelone

I agree. If there's a deck that will likely go oop or is a hard to find deck, I can so see getting it. I just avoid any impulse buys. Those decks I think MIGHT be something I want to read with...sometime...someday. If they're readily available on Amazon and are US Games or LoS, I won't jump on getting them. I was just finding the MORE decks I had, the harder it was to concentrate on reading them really well. I have decided no more (well, nothing on my list anyway and I DO love looking at all the new scans, so not craving any new decks at the moment) til at least my bd (in Jan 2011), when I will treat myself if I see one or two I reallllly want. But as of right now, none I can think of.

I get it re the books too! I LOVE books. I'm constantly pruning them back! I also decided I wanted to actually read some of the books I've picked up before getting a bunch of new ones. Harder for me to resist books than decks tho :)

GD