Yes, but do we listen....

greatdane

I know we all have our different perspectives on the cards. Some of us use them more for clarity, meditation, self-reflection, some more for divination, some for a variety for reasons. I think I would likely get a majority ruling though that pretty much everyone who does read, hopes to gain some wisdom, some guidance or support, in living their lives.

Here's my question: when you read, do you listen? If the cards are saying something you don't want to hear, do you really examine what the cards are saying and if you know, deep down, it's right on the money, do you try to effect the change?

I figure any knowledge or advice we get from the cards doesn't help us much if we don't take it and act on it. If we ignore the advice the cards give us, is there a point to reading for guidance?

Thoughts, dear TarotFolk?

GD

shadowdancer

I listen. And I say it.

I didn't listen once, and it was the day I had a bag snatch at Brussels railway station. Result? I didn't pay attention to the fact something not nice could happen and lost passports, visas, camera, laptop, cash, PDA, important docs like birth certificates. It was harrowing to say the least.

There is a chance in fairness I could not have prevented it, but if I had just had in forefront of mind the 9 of swords had come up as a daily draw, I may have just had the bag held in my hand very tightly.

Davina

greatdane

Thank you, Davina!

I'm so sorry that happened, but glad you shared the story with us. It's so interesting to me to read things that have happened to readers and how they tie into the cards.

Blessings,
GD

Suzanne A

I try to listen and apply the guidance, because as you say, what's the point if you don't use the cards advice? However, being very fallible, I sometimes have a hard time following through on good advice (from the cards and other sources).

I did recently have an experience where I was able to keep a reading in mind and profit from it. I was preparing for a long weekend where I was having guests who were in town for a large family gathering--I had lots of responsibilities and was in danger of feeling frazzled. The cards in my reading were divided between cards showing how to be an energetic, positive leader, and cards reflecting some of my weaker tendencies--getting irritated with people, doing things grudgingly, etc. Throughout the weekend I kept these cards in mind, and kept reminding myself to try for the more positive way. I think this helped to change the outcome--which was quite good, overall.

greatdane

Thanks, Suzanne!

What a great example of heeding good advice! I know sometimes it's hard to curtail some things that impact us negatively, but can be hard for us to change or control. But it seems tarot IS the little voice in our head saying, don't go there! :)

BodhiSeed

I do my best to pay attention and follow through.:) There are several cards that when I read for myself have a particular meaning. One of these is the Three of Swords. When I pull that one in the morning, it is a general warning for me to watch what I say - my words are likely to hurt someone in a big way. So I try to be careful of my tone, and even if I do have to say something someone might not like, I try to be kind about it instead of using my usual "off with their head!" approach.:D Those times when my emotions do outrun my logical reasoning, and I speak before I remember my tarot "reminder," then I usually end up owing someone an apology.

Rosanne

I am not sure I can explain this well.
I do a reading every night about the next day- leave the cards on a stand and look at them briefly next morning. Then I let the day commence.
Something will happen and I remember one or another card and the negative aspect and I will actively change my response to the event.
Or I have drawn positive card/s I then accept them.
I am trying to be the person I wish to be.
This is not control by Tarot, as in Religion, it is a type of NLP or cognitive therapy.
Sometimes nothing is triggered- that is OK. NO stress.

So you see, the cards have not shown what will be- they have shown what could be.
That is how I read for others as well.

~Rosanne

greatdane

Well said, Bodhran and Rosanne...

I reallly enjoyed your perspectives and explanations. I loved reading how you have used the cards to try to do your best and be the best person you can be.

Rasa

Sometimes I really don't want to listen, and then I don't do a reading.
I also try not to ask questions I don't want to know the answer to (sometimes, there's a lot of questions I don't ask!)

I figure that if I want the Universe to speak to me, it's not going to continue to do so if I refuse to pay attention repeatedly. So, if I don't want to look at myself or my life, I just don't look... I know that's not the healthiest approach, but looking and then ignoring seems silly to me.

Usually, I can think about how frequently I am reading my own cards, and use it as a barometer for whether I'm avoiding dealing with something in my life, or not.

greatdane

Interesting points, Rasa

I thought you brought up something I hadn't really thought about much. If we feel we NEED to read a lot for ourselves, is it because we don't like the answers we're getting and aren't willing to change what we should? I also thought that it was interesting you brought up, if you don't want to know the answer and aren't prepared to act on it, don't ask the question!

Blessings,
GD