Tarot (vaguely) inspired fragrance ?

Schnee

I don't know where to post this really..

Have you guys heard about the new Dolce & Gabbana fragrances? There are 6 of them and they are named: I: The Fool, 6: The Lover, 11: Strength, 18: The Moon, 10: The Wheel of Fortune, 3: The Empress
Sounds familliar?

I am a bit excited over these, I think the idea is pretty cool but I'm a tad disappointed that they didn't really do their research, for exemple "The Fool" is touted as the "ultimate mediterranean seducer" 0.o
Also 1, 6 and 11 are advertised as male fragrances, 18, 10, and 3 as female. So girls are ever-changing,unpredictable and motherly? hmmm

The advertising has nothing to do with Tarot either (scandily clad models abound in very D&G style)

Here's the link to the site: (mild nudity included)
http://www.dandgfragrances.com/en/#/home

What do you think? Are you hoping for Tarot based frangrances? Which would you wear? Would you create one?

chrissydogz

i feel like my mind has been raped

Morwenna

I can't even decide if I want to burn incense or a scented candle! I'm not about to try to base a fragrance on a Tarot concept.

On the other hand, maybe it's something I should give some thought to... After all, the sense of smell is the most directly-connected sense to the brain.

chrissydogz

i just think they could have done alittle better with the advertising. like have pictures of people dressed like tarot characters or doing things the tarot characters might do(ie the fool about to dive into water or strength as somebody hugging a large dog)

moonmorgan

chrissydogz said:
i just think they could have done alittle better with the advertising. like have pictures of people dressed like tarot characters or doing things the tarot characters might do(ie the fool about to dive into water or strength as somebody hugging a large dog)

Thanks for making this point, Chrissy. Doesn't anyone else on the forum think it's a bit bizarre to bring out a range of fragrances with tarot names, which, unless you've got an interest in tarot, you wouldn't necessarily recognise as being Tarot? Has someone at D&G got a bit of a sense of humour, and is giggling at the thought of thousands of unwitting members of the public walking round 'smelling' like the Lovers or the Wheel of Fortune? Why haven't they used it as a focus for their advertising, I wonder? ;)

There was a magazine ad that had very shadowy Deviant Moon images around the bottles, but it wasn't obvious.. (http://www.deviantmoon.com/wordpress/?p=233)

And now I have to confess, I've got three of them, La Lune, L'Imperatrice and L'amoureaux, (I didn't buy them for myself) Waaaaayyyyyy to light for me, but L'Impeatrice is pretty, and I d like the other two, but I'm more an Arabian oils and attars type of girly....

Schnee

Oh so you got to try them moonmorgan?! I am very curious about La Lune or Le Batteleur..

I think they didn't make a point about Tarot in advertising because (from what I read in the other threads) it may still carry some stigma (cards of the devil and whatnot).
Naked beautiful people always seem to sell tough :)

moonmorgan

Schnee - I didn't like Le Bateleur at all (can't remember why, but I remember I didn't like it!!) and I've just dashed off to douse myself in 'La Lune', It's very flowery and feminine, and quite subtle, you're not going to overpower anyone in a crowded lift, no matter how much you use! (well....)

I tried them all in the local department store when they first came out, and the only ones that appealed to me were La Lune and L'Impetarice, but everyone has different tastes, so try them for yourself if you can.

And the advertising thing - why bring out a range of fragrances associated with Tarot if it's perceived to have negative connotations? Why not choose something else, or am I completely missing something? (quite possibly, lol!)

Le Fanu

There have been two threads about this. Here's one.

I guess the whole point of this is doing something slightly risqué. That's what they must have thought. Embrace those negative connotations; is there any better marketing tool? Being someone who takes tarot relatively seriously I find the idea of these tarot perfumes a bit silly. Plus it doesn't help that I find Dolce & Gabbana a bit insusbtantial anyway. There are other designers with a bit more to them that would have done something like this with a bit more content (I would love to have seen maybe Vivienne Westwood or Galliano or Gaultier do it. They'd have done it better, I have no doubt)

alesia

I opened this thread in hopes there would be a discussion of some new Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab fragrances I hadn't heard of yet. How sad.