How to use the Tarot for fortune-telling?

JSNYC

The question for the thread is: how does someone use the Tarot for fortune-telling and how is that different from how "everyone else" uses the Tarot?

Since I believe the Tarot is a powerful tool, I think it is absolutely plausible that it can be used for "fortune-telling". But what is that exactly? Is fortune-telling simply "predicting the concrete future"?

I must reference Jung, because that is how I understand this abstract stuff. Jung said that every perspective has a subject and an object. Because of the abstract complexity of the Tarot, I have interpreted the meaning of the cards very subjectively (and I think that is a limitation on my part). So I thought of creating a "fortune-telling deck" to play around with. And what I mean by that is taking one of my decks (that I haven't yet studied) and giving the cards objective, concrete definitions, to be used for fortune-telling, or predicting the concrete future. And since I believe the Tarot is always personal, at least to some extent, those definitions would have to come from me, I couldn't simply use someone else's definitions.

This also seems to be the whole idea behind the "Using Tarot Cards" forum, to provide tangible definitions for the cards. Or am I missing the whole idea of fortune-telling?

Pen

If we had a forum for fortune-telling (as suggested on the Something Missing thread), would it have to be limited to the tarot?

Pen

Milfoil

JSNYC said:
So I thought of creating a "fortune-telling deck" to play around with. And what I mean by that is taking one of my decks (that I haven't yet studied) and giving the cards objective, concrete definitions, to be used for fortune-telling, or predicting the concrete future. And since I believe the Tarot is always personal, at least to some extent, those definitions would have to come from me, I couldn't simply use someone else's definitions.

This also seems to be the whole idea behind the "Using Tarot Cards" forum, to provide tangible definitions for the cards. Or am I missing the whole idea of fortune-telling?

What a wonderful idea. I have an old book somewhere that gives set, predictive definitions for a traditional Marseille deck but it was never considered appropriate somehow to discuss that. I'd love to see what definitions you come up with and see if they are anywhere close to what are in my book . . . purely out of curiosity.

Are you going to share your deck and definitions with us? :)

JSNYC

goldenweb said:
If we had a forum for fortune-telling (as suggested on the Something Missing thread), would it have to be limited to the tarot?

Pen
Good point, that was certainly something I was missing. ;)

JSNYC

Milfoil said:
Are you going to share your deck and definitions with us? :)
Oh! Wait a minute! The idea hasn't morphed into a decision! :D

Actually, after I wrote that, I started thinking of my Deviant Moon, which I haven't used yet... Maybe it is morphing... :laugh:

Cat*

I'd love to learn more about fortune-telling because I probably wouldn't even know how to do it right now even if I wanted to. You see, besides the odd "outcome" card as part of a larger tarot spread, I really have no experience at all with fortune-telling so far, so please consider me a complete newbie here. :)

As such, I do have a couple of questions, however. :D

For those who have done both fortune-telling and non-fortune-telling readings, what are the differences in actually doing the reading for you?

Do you use different decks for either "style"? Different systems (e.g. tarot vs. Lenormand)? A different set of symbols? A different reading technique?

How did you learn what card/symbol meant what in terms of fortune-telling? Do you have a set system for meanings or do you mostly go by intuition/psychic insight?

Personally, I'm less interested in discussing IF we can predict the future (tell fortunes), but I'll just assume that we can for the sake of this thread. Which is to say I'm more interested in how-to technique than in philosophical discussions about the (un)fixedness of our future.

By the way, I have avoided the term "counselling" as the opposite of "fortune-telling" here because I'm not sure it's the best term to describe non-fortune-telling readings. Maybe "reflective" (= non-fortune-telling) versus "predictive" (= fortune-telling) might be more useful terms?

nisaba

Cat* said:
For those who have done both fortune-telling and non-fortune-telling readings, what are the differences in actually doing the reading for you?
I shy from the term "fortune-telling", but most of my readings have an element of prediction around them, even if they really are reflective readings. I tend to combine both: I look at the situation as it is and look at its depths; then there is often some forward movement: what is likely if you don't make changes, what kinds of actions are likely to bring about positive or negative changes, that kind of thing. I rarely if ever say stuff like "On the fourteenth of June next, you will be standing on your driveway saying goodbye to a friend, and they will back out, running over your foot and breaking many bones". I might, however, look at the Chariot card, and just gently suggest they might like to be very careful whilst driving or near vehicles for a while. In my mind, fortune-telling is the former example, predictive is the latter example.

Cat* said:
Do you use different decks for either "style"? Different systems (e.g. tarot vs. Lenormand)? A different set of symbols? A different reading technique?
As I said, I rarely do hard-core fortune-telling, but an element of prediction seeps into the most reflective of readings.

Cat* said:
How did you learn what card/symbol meant what in terms of fortune-telling? Do you have a set system for meanings or do you mostly go by intuition/psychic insight?
I think they change all the time. Cards will let you know what they are trying to tell you, if you just unclutter your own prejudices and preferences and *listen* to them.

celticnoodle

fortune telling is defined as "the art or gift of prophesy by supernatural means...".

so, yes, i would have to say i do use the tarot cards and oracle cards for fortune telling. 99% of the time, in fact. however NOTHING is concrete. there is nothing that is going to be 100% right all the time....perhaps because we all have free will and can change the future if we have an idea of what 'could' occur? i don't know, really. just my thoughts here.

i do like your idea of making your 'OWN' deck, with your own meanings--a personal deck. and i like goldenwebs idea too. having a thread here devoted solely to predicting things that will come to be in the future. something that we cannot really guess easily, and see how close we get to the prediction coming true.

Lillie

JSNYC said:
The question for the thread is: how does someone use the Tarot for fortune-telling and how is that different from how "everyone else" uses the Tarot?

Since I believe the Tarot is a powerful tool, I think it is absolutely plausible that it can be used for "fortune-telling". But what is that exactly? Is fortune-telling simply "predicting the concrete future"?

I must reference Jung, because that is how I understand this abstract stuff. Jung said that every perspective has a subject and an object. Because of the abstract complexity of the Tarot, I have interpreted the meaning of the cards very subjectively (and I think that is a limitation on my part). So I thought of creating a "fortune-telling deck" to play around with. And what I mean by that is taking one of my decks (that I haven't yet studied) and giving the cards objective, concrete definitions, to be used for fortune-telling, or predicting the concrete future. And since I believe the Tarot is always personal, at least to some extent, those definitions would have to come from me, I couldn't simply use someone else's definitions.

Um...

When I started all this I thought that's what the cards were for.

I have to say I haven't changed my opinion.

As far as I can tell the difference between fortune telling and other stuff is the questions that are answered.

Like fortune telling would ask 'will I meet a new lover' or 'when will I meet a new lover' or 'what will he look like' and the answer predicts the future.

The other way, I think, tends to ask questions like 'what should I do to best attract a new love to myself'. Or 'how should I change myself and my life to attract love into my life'.

Stuff like that. I think.

After that it just works the same.

Lay out the cards and read them.
Shuffle deal read whatever.

I just answer whatever question comes along.
It's all much the same to me, though I suppose on the whole I prefer the first sort, as they have better answers.
Like 'When will I meet a new man?' 'Next thursday week.'

There, proper answer, nice and direct. It might be right, it might be wrong, but it's a proper answer. It makes a lot more sense to me than some stuff about finding myself, or grounding, or learning to love myself or whatever.

I like straight answers. They are sort of uncomplicated, and all you have to do is wait till next Thursday week and see if anything happens. Learning to love myself is just weird. Either I do or I don't, I don't know and I'm pretty sure I don't care.

But that's me.

And anyway, I always liked the idea of being a proper fortune teller with the earrings and a shawl.

JSNYC

Lillie said:
As far as I can tell the difference between fortune telling and other stuff is the questions that are answered.
Very interesting, the crux of the difference is not in the cards and how they are used or interpreted, it is the questions. I feel like saying "wow", but then again I feel like saying "duh". ;)

Lillie said:
I like straight answers.
As do I. Your answers are always straight, which is why I enjoy them so much, thank you.