Making your own decks?

LibraX

Hey all - just wondering. Does anyone else out there create their own personalised decks? There may have been a previous thread for this and I missed it, but the only other person I've come across that does this is the woman who I bought my first book of Tarot from. She had about 6 different Tarot decks, all of which she had mixed up to create a new deck altogether.

Now I only have the Cosmic Tarot deck and the Sharman-Caselli deck, and although my deck is mainly made up of Sharman-Caselli cards - I have a handful of about 20 cards that are from my Cosmic deck. My Cosmic deck was the very first one I bought, so I feel kind of attached to it - and although the SC deck is easier to read with (very similar to RWS), the few Cosmic cards I use are my favourites by far.

So does anyone else do it? Or are you too afraid of mixing up the various 'energies' that some believe come from different decks?

gregory

What - you mean mixing up the cards from a load of decks you own ? Never tried - but - have you heard of the Frankendeck ????

Look ! - we are creating the BRIDE deck as we speak ! The deck reads amazingly well, so I think the mixed energies probably isn't an issue.

LibraX

gregory said:
What - you mean mixing up the cards from a load of decks you own ? Never tried - but - have you heard of the Frankendeck ????

Look ! - we are creating the BRIDE deck as we speak ! The deck reads amazingly well, so I think the mixed energies probably isn't an issue.

Ohh, that's pretty cool!!

But yeah, for example. Say you always had problems deciding which deck to use every time you needed to do a reading? Or, you had problems with a few cards in a deck that you LOVED? Just mix them up! Of course you couldn't have two of the same card but from different decks; you'd still need only one Fool, or one Seven of Swords, etc. But I laid out all the cards in both decks, and just picked which one I preferred out of the two or which one 'spoke' to me more clearly.

But no, I don't think mixing the energies is a bad thing. I felt a bit bad at first, as if I was splitting up some kind of family, haha! But I think it's good to have more than one energy at work! :)

gregory

The only problem I can see is shuffling and being sure you don't know what card you are pulling, like. Maybe you'd need to pull from a whole deck, if they weren't the exact same size ? So you can't see the different backs etc. either.

LibraX

gregory said:
The only problem I can see is shuffling and being sure you don't know what card you are pulling, like. Maybe you'd need to pull from a whole deck, if they weren't the exact same size ? So you can't see the different backs etc. either.

Yeah, that would be a problem if you only took a few other cards from a certain deck. But both my decks are the same size, so shuffling is fine, and like I said - I have about 20-30 cards from one deck and the rest from another, so overall it's not too easy to predict what you're pulling!

When I pull cards I don't look until I've flipped them over, anyway.

The only small problem would be the weighting of the cards. My Cosmic ones are slightly thicker and thus heavier, but it doesn't seem to have effected my readings too much! :)

alesia

The neat thing about Lo Scarabeo - all their decks are the same stock and form factor, so mixing them would be really easy. I will have to think about this. })

ETA: Well, except the minis, but I daresay that's obvious.

Firewind17

I'm so happy that I read this posting. I really like the idea of doing
this. Sometimes I get a new deck but I absolutely cringe at a couple
of the cards in it. I love the idea of just going to other decks and
replacing them with cards from there. And as was said if you replace
20-30 cards you wouldn't be saying," ahh, this big card has to be (fill
in the blank). thank you so much for a great idea :)

NorthernTigress

I once made a personal deck out of cards from all three Ciro Marchetti decks. I really enjoyed working with it, but I quickly took it apart because one deck was just a tiny bit larger than the other two.

I still have the "inventory" as a computer file, though, in case I ever want to re-create my perfect deck again.

LibraX

alesia - Cool! Let me know how you get on :)

Firewind17 - Hey, no problem! I'm surprised no one's brought this up before? But good luck with it. :)

NorthernTigress - Ever thought about trimming? Personally I don't have the guts! But it's always a thought.

NorthernTigress

LibraX said:
NorthernTigress - Ever thought about trimming? Personally I don't have the guts! But it's always a thought.

I'm way too much of a coward to trim. Especially the tiny tiny amount I'd need to shave off in this case.