deposits for bookings

Rasa

Occasionally I do readings at parties.
On Halloween, I was booked for an event which was in a city kind of on the periphery of my city; not quite in town, and therefore not accessible by public transit.
I had exchanged a few emails with the hostess of the party, the most recent one from her being a confirmation the night before, and then my response the morning of the party.

She had arranged to pick me up and give me a ride out there, since I don't drive (After a couple of occasions where I spent half of what I made at a party on cab fare to get home, I now include transportation costs in my fee, if it's a location or time that will cause me a lot of trouble).
She had given me a time, and told me where she'd pick me up.

I bussed all the way across the city and then waited an hour, at our meeting place. She didn't show up, and didn't answer my calls. I arrived home extremely irritated, more than 3 hours after I was supposed to meet her, wondering if I'd somehow missed her. :mad:

Despite having my cellphone number, she had sent me -an email-, AFTER I'd already left the house, cancelling her booking. :mad:

I was extremely upset about this, since I had cancelled my own plans for Samhain in order to do this event.

The manager of the store that had hooked me up with this gig wants to now start asking for a cash deposit, prior to any future event bookings...
They would get it back if I cancelled for some reason, but would forfeit some of it if they had to cancel after a certain day.
I have mixed feelings about that... I worry that it might prevent people from booking in the first place... but it would likely save me the kind of experience I had the other night. Or at least, I might have been paid something for my trouble.

Does anyone here ask for a deposit on either event bookings, or appointments for readings? How does that work for you?

gregory

I think that would be entirely reasonable. Anyone serious about a booking shouldn't mind at all. We are asked for deposits in any other business transaction and while what you are offering feels in some ways not business - when money changes hands anyone offering a service has the right to protect themselves.

Baroli

Deposit for a booking? Absolutely. I see nothing wrong with that,...as a matter of fact you can also stipulate that it's nonrefundable.

BelovedK

I would absolutely do that. One of the other things I do requires appointments, and I have a policy of charging a service fee for late cancellations. I think that what they did to you was just plain rude, and it was dismissive and disrespectful.

yirabeth

The woman who booked you and then didn't even notify you in appropriate timing was cowardly and unprofessional :( It happens, a LOT, though, and that's why nearly every type of service provided for hire requires a deposit, from catering a party or wedding, to DJ'ing one, photographing/filming, etc.

Tarot reading is no different, IMO. I'm sure DJ's love to DJ, that's why they do it. But they need to make ends meet, so they charge a deposit to assure they're at least going to break even. All the cake decorators I've ever met did it because they LOVE it - it was their form of artwork. (My ex-MIL was a professional cake decorator) But, you pay in advance for that cake..the tools of the trade aren't free. Photographers ensure you pay a deposit if you want them to show up at your event and photograph it.

You love reading tarot. But you also need to be assured you'll break even. In this economy swallowing travel expenses (to say NOTHING of breaking your own plans) is just not possible.

~Yira

Apollonia

What a horrible experience! And how rude! I feel for you.

In the past, when I did events, I required a cash or PayPal deposit 48 hours in advance of the date, refundable only if for some reason I could not honor the commitment. No one ever questioned this policy.

I believe I asked for $50 back then. Now, if I did events, I would ask for $125.

Shade

Someone I know that books readers for events has a policy (I think the below is pretty accurate though percentages might be a bit off).

When you book the event you pay a non-refundable credit card deposit for 50% of your total fee.

If you cancel more than one week before the event you lose that deposit.

If you cancel less than one week before the event you will be charged an additional 25% of the total fee (so you will have paid 75% of what you agreed to when you signed the contract).

It might have been 100% but you get the idea.

It insures that the client is serious. It also makes them unlikely to book a different reader who has a lower rate.

starrystarrynight

I would expect to pay a deposit for booking someone for an event. One pays deposits for caterers, clowns that perform at their kids' birthday parties, halls to house parties or gatherings. This is no different. It's the way business is done.

For that matter, I charge for online readings upfront and for commissioned paintings that I do for clients. It's the same principal. My time is my money, so reserving that time costs...upfront.

I think it also makes you look more professional and serious about your work.

Sinduction

Yes, Yes, Yes! You should get money up front!

I'd go no lower than 50%, even 75% or 100%. Why not pay in advance? Especially if it's out of town. Don't be afraid to get money for what you do. You provided a service, just like any other service that's been already mentioned.

If you can't make it for whatever reason, refund all of it. If they break the commitment, depending on the amount of time given, they may or may not get any money back.

Your time is valuable. For all they know, you had other clients that wanted to book you on the date, especially on Halloween.

Rasa

Wow, thanks for all the encouraging responses.

I will certainly be asking for deposits in the future!