Alone with Tarot?

MagsStardustBlack

Hi guys,

I have been noticing that being on the tarot journey is starting to be a lonely journey. Apart from all of us here on AT there is nobody in my life and at home that i can chat with about my tarot cards, and how i am getting on, the fun i'm having and how exciting the whole journey is. It is just me and my cards. My family are supportive but aren't able to have a conversation with me really, and my friends are not into anything like tarot at all. Its getting hard not being able to share.

Is learning Tarot a personal journey that one must do alone, regarding friends and family? It it like this for many of us? How do you deal with the loneliness of it when you can't share it with the people you love in your life? Is it a matter of accepting it is a solitary journey and getting on with it?

I'd appreciate any thoughts xxMags.

Wendywu

My husband is supportive of my interest but doesn't want to read. He is very interested in the spiritual side of my journey and joins me as far as he can in that. Other than that - AT is it as far as tarot companionship goes. I read for people but that's different. Their interest extends to their reading and I can understand that.

I don't get lonely with it. I read cards for others and myself, journal, come here, study, join the Exchanges etc. and my husband lets me babble at him :)

I once met Aulruna, which was lovely, but she's the only other reader I've ever met in real life.

I do feel as though some of the people I've met here are my second family, and they make all the difference to my tarot life :). There is a lot to get involved with here, if you let yourself go for the total immersion bit.

gregory

I don't know about ACCEPTING it as such - but mostly no-one I know in real life who lives locally wants to talk about it in the terms that I do. My SO is interested in the art and the history - but not the reading. One neighbour gave up on the cards years ago and reads - well, just by inspiration - and has no interest in the cards at all any more - I do miss that.

BUT - I sometimes meet up with people from here. That is fun. I did my first face to face thing after the disaster of 30 years ago with people from here in a pub, for instance. Keep an eye on meet-up threads - or post one asking if there's anyone in your area. And of course - make friends with people here by email, if that would help ?

It can be a bit isolated, yes. But - here is great, don't you think ? People will share in your excitement in a way that those who don't get it - can't !

ncharge

Yes, I don't have any other people in my life who have the same level of interest or dedication to tarot that I have. I have a friend who gives great readings, but prefers to do other things. I have one student who is coming along, but much more interested in herbs and other stuff. My husband lets me talk to him about it (and actually listens), and looks through my decks, but won't allow me to read for him (too scared). So, it is just me, soldiering on.

Eilan

It's a lonely journey for me too! I think where I live (Italy) it's different, if you say 'tarot' people only thinks of frauds and evil persons trying to steal money from naif people, even if you do a research on internet you only find websites where you have to pay 100 € per minute to hear that you'll meat a tall dark stranger... Think only of this: Lo Scarabeo is an Italian publisher and it publishes the large majority of its books only in english! My family think I'm peculiar and my friends think I'm funny, but they don't really want to share it with me. So I'm alone with tarot and I understand your feelings.
Why don't you look on internet, maybe on this forum, to see if there is someone living close to you that you can meet?

Miss Divine

For me it's the opposite. My younger sister started Tarot when she was 16. I started years later. At first I was the only one of my friends who was into it. But then my best friends got interested too (because of me :D). And I just happen to meet people out of the blue who read cards (often Lenormand) but some Tarot readers too. I'm single at the moment. My last boyfriend definitely wasn't into Tarot, but wasn't against me doing it either.

amethyst57

yep...there are Muggles in our worlds of divination, metaphysics, the paranormal, psychic/mediumship,etc...and then, Dabblers who do it to amuse themselves and others...
my nephew's a dabbler, he's got a few healing stones and a book, and an angel deck,but he's mostly into D&D stuff...
ex-hubby knows i get death omens, and experienced paranormal, but craps on the tv shows like medium and ghost hunting ones..knows i dowse...he does not know about my cards &etc...the little he knows of me, probably thinks i'm ready for a rubber room...
my younger son has experienced paranormal...i think he could be a psychic medium like me...he's not intrigued even by my Konxari cards...
all 3 shrug off dreams and nightmares...
Love that there are forums to learn from and to get to know others in the same boat...other card readers, dream interpreters, dowsers, ghosthunters, psychics,mediums, etc...to share, to learn, to grow...and go to teach others...

MagsStardustBlack

Wendywu said:
My husband is supportive of my interest but doesn't want to read. He is very interested in the spiritual side of my journey and joins me as far as he can in that. Other than that - AT is it as far as tarot companionship goes. I read for people but that's different. Their interest extends to their reading and I can understand that.

I don't get lonely with it. I read cards for others and myself, journal, come here, study, join the Exchanges etc. and my husband lets me babble at him :)

I once met Aulruna, which was lovely, but she's the only other reader I've ever met in real life.

I do feel as though some of the people I've met here are my second family, and they make all the difference to my tarot life :). There is a lot to get involved with here, if you let yourself go for the total immersion bit.

My husband used to take an interest, but seems so pre-occupied with his own things that when i talk to him now its more like i am talking AT HIM if you know what i mean. I guess that this is what is really bothering me, not so muchg everyone else as i have always had him, but that has dwindled to nothing now as far as sharing interests go. Its anoying because all we do is talk about him all day every day.

Maybe i need to let go and get more involved in the site, i know it has so much to offer it is a wonderfull site, and i don't know where i would be without it.

Its like i feel like i have no voice, except the voice in my head that is, here on AT, but as far as the spoken word goes, i wish i could speak to him - and he would speak back lol.

Baroli

Sure,...it can be lonely. But here's what I found. There are seminars you can go to, where there are real live people just like you and me that share in our love of Tarot.

Because I got curious, I went to one out in San Fransisco and was blown away by all the people I met. I made some great friends. Some are here at AT, but most of them are not. Find out if there are Tarot meet-ups where you are. There are a lot of us out in the world. You just have to search them out and that can be a lot of fun and a grand adventure.

MagsStardustBlack

gregory said:
I don't know about ACCEPTING it as such - but mostly no-one I know in real life who lives locally wants to talk about it in the terms that I do. My SO is interested in the art and the history - but not the reading. One neighbour gave up on the cards years ago and reads - well, just by inspiration - and has no interest in the cards at all any more - I do miss that.

BUT - I sometimes meet up with people from here. That is fun. I did my first face to face thing after the disaster of 30 years ago with people from here in a pub, for instance. Keep an eye on meet-up threads - or post one asking if there's anyone in your area. And of course - make friends with people here by email, if that would help ?

It can be a bit isolated, yes. But - here is great, don't you think ? People will share in your excitement in a way that those who don't get it - can't !

I totally agree Gregory, here on these purple pages is like being a child in a sweetie shop, so much passion, excitement and enthusiasm, it is like coming home. I don't know what i would do without AT and everyone here to chat to, and talk about things. I had never noticed the meetings threads before, i will be sure to keep an eye out. I'm glad that im not completely alone in my thoughts in this.

I guess i just feel frustrated that my husband doesn't take more or an interest. Its not like he doesn't have it in him, he is a spiritual guy, he used to use a crystal pendulum among other things, and he is a believer in the value of tarot and spirituality, he just wont talk, cant say two words to me.