I miss the tarot...

firemaiden

I miss the tarot, that's something new. I'm newly married and very happy ... I don't have the time anymore to sit by myself with my cards and immerse myself in the magical mysterious world. When I first encountered the tarot, I lived in dark and cold Berlin, grey Berlin... did I mention it was very dark ? Hardly any sunlight all winter. Did I mention the cold ? You didn't want to go outside. Not even to buy cream for the coffee, if all I had left in the fridge was coffee. So it was easy to fall inside the sunny colorful world of a box with 78 pretty pictures.

No, no, they were never just 78 pretty pictures in a box. They were 78 pretty pictures in a box that moved and talked if you put them down random ways. The combination of images, the stunning coincidences sometimes so incredibly literal --- what do I need to do today ? -- the Renaissance tarot showed me a that wonderful recreation of the girl pouring milk. Aha ! I told you I needed to buy cream for the coffee -- stuff like that. For an aetheist like moi-même, the encounter with this little coincidences was freaky cool.

Then the itch to read evolved, very slowly. At first it was OUT OF THE QUESTION, then little by little, I ventured little interpretations in Your Readings, then the Spoof Readings began, where I explained that the readings were pretty much guaranteed to make no sense, but I would do them anyway, as a joke. And many of you said they actually made some kind of sense, so I started to sort of take the tarot seriously...

Then after thousands of posts on AT, and the ravenous purchase of over 50 decks, and hundreds of readings -- eventually the cards turned back into flat cardboard pieces with nothing to say except "I look like a stupid cartoon" and the books I so feverishly devoured on tarot -- now, after one sentence made me so horribly bored, I wanted to throw them across the room. Bo-ring ...

Now it is cold and dark again, and I am in France, I sort of miss that period where the pictures were so talkative. The urge is creeping up to take a few out of the box and let them talk. Anyone know what I'm talking about ?

Alta

Maybe you crave the artistic release of your wonderful story-readings! Those were charming and a delight for everyone following them, not just your lucky querent.

214red

yes completely, sometimes you need its what you need, passions ebb and flow, and sometimes we need to not have them to miss them.

Renewal of passion is a fantastic thing:) sometimes things becomes mundane, you take a break and the colours and light are back again shining brightly

go on, open the box

Le Fanu

Beautiful post, firemaiden. We miss your posts.

But why do I feel that something wonderful is about to happen, some new direction in you tarot journey, some chance discovery you are about to stumble across and reignite that fire...

gregory

Alta said:
Maybe you crave the artistic release of your wonderful story-readings! Those were charming and a delight for everyone following them, not just your lucky querent.
Oddly enough when I saw the title of the thread and your name at the head of it - I came here to ask just that of you ? Please ?

And - maybe it is time to - create a firemaiden DECK ?

Anna

Yes, absolutly. I have had periods of years were I've not touched tarot or been interested in it. Each time I come back to it, I experience it and understand it on a deeper level.

Moonbow

Ahhhh.... lovely post Firemaiden, you touch on what I'm feeling now and have done in the past too. I'm in a similar stage at the moment where I've spent time away from doing readings for people, and had my head stuck in books and serious websites. I'm going backwards in time and playing again, this time with Tarot of the Spirit and I'm skipping and jumping between decks which take my fancy. I'm more a reader at heart and its been ages since I read the cards, I just want it to be simple and playful at the moment.

Emily

I understand what you mean too - tarot has been such a large part of my life for so long but my life has changed a little in the past few months, quite unexpectedly, no sign of it in my cards although my Runes screamed it at me.

So I'm having a break from tarot, maybe in the future I'll pick up a deck again but at the moment they are just pieces of card that didn't speak to me when I needed them most.

Baroli

I think it's time for a famous reading thread of yours. We haven't heard from the toaster in such a long time, and the chicken and and and all your neat friends.

Yes, time for a crazy creative reading thread. :D

Cat*

firemaiden said:
Anyone know what I'm talking about ?
Yes. I 'm not sure I've experienced it most with tarot, but I know the feeling as such.

In my experience, returning to old passions can be a delicate business, however. Sometimes I've found I've been longing for a particular feeling, and not so much for the thing that made me feel that way. In such cases, the return to the thing can be very disappointing. For example, I find it hard to recreate the feeling of first discovering that thing (and the way it made me feel) at an advanced level. It can still be very worth my time to return, mind you, but it doesn't feel the same. And sometimes that's sad.

That said, I'd still suggest taking your cards out of their box again and see what they have to say to you this time around. It may not end in one of your wonderful reading threads from earlier times. But it may end in something just as worthwhile which you won't find if you don't risk returning. :)