Readings over the Holidays?

greatdane

With all kinds of different holidays coming up, where many family and friends get together, I was wondering: do you get a lot of requests for readings? Do you take your cards with you to parties or dinners?

misfitknits

haha, no one on my or my husband's side of the family would EVER ask for a reading!!! so... no!

greatdane

LOL misfitknits!

I know the feeling! While some know I read, I'm not around readers or those interested in readings, which is fine by me, as I really read for myself anyway.

I know many keep their reading...under wraps....so to speak. But know there must be some out there who get together with family or friends and get pestered for readings!

Marcia959

I get some last-minute party gigs around the holidays and they are delightful. I was very pleased when one of my regular customers asked to buy a reading for a friend as a holiday gift. I always have at least one deck of cards with me when I go out but I don't feel comfortable initiating the offer for readings at family/friends gatherings. My friends and family know I read and they also know I will read for them if they ask.

I don't want to make family and friends events "all about me" and my work with tarot. I want them to feel happy about celebrating the time together with me and not to feel they are always under a microscope. I like to share the time with them too.

When I get together with people, there are things I pick up without a reading. That's happened to me all my life though and like a lot of adult skills I've learned to keep that to myself unless and until they want to talk about that. Otherwise, I have a huge respect for people's privacy and a healthy respect for wiggle room in my own accuracy.

Usually I have a low-key deck with me, something that is light-hearted and non-threatening (unless of course the holiday demands something interesting like Halloween). This year, I'm hoping to have my own decks with me to read with because they are purposefully light-hearted without sacrificing meaning.

I don't recommend reading under the influence. OK, and here's a funny one for me personally: I don't like to read after I've had turkey because of the sleepy effect turkey has on me! That's just my own quirk.

greatdane

LOL Marcia!

Thanks for sharing that. I particularly enjoyed the last part LOL.

Was wondering how many readers may just keep a deck tucked in their bag...in case. I can see not bringing it up, but figured if family and friends know you read, you may get requests! I think it must be like being a doctor and going to a holiday dinner, only instead of mentioning aches and pains and asking for free advice, they ask for free advice on their lives in general!

Baroli

A couple of years ago, I worked the entire month of December at a small bar intown and did private Christmas parties, that were booked through the bar. It was fun.

BUT,...no one in my family would ever want a reading, thinking I would be doing the devil's work (yeah, that's my family, lol). Most of them (except my sister) don't know I read tarot. That's okay. What they don't know won't hurt them and I don't need the aggravation of an argument/debate and the "come home to Jesus" speech. :)

Sar

greatdane said:
With all kinds of different holidays coming up, where many family and friends get together, I was wondering: do you get a lot of requests for readings? Do you take your cards with you to parties or dinners?

Both question.
And I have my Whimsical Tarot with me all the time, but that do not mean that I respond positive to all the tarot inquisions.

greatdane

Ah, makes sense, Sar

So you're prepared in case you wish to read, but don't always give in to requests.