Sage allergy?!? Smudge alternatives?

enchanted spirit

Yesterday I was having a conversation with my mother about turkey seasonings. When I mentioned sage she said "Oh, no, I can't use sage because I am allergic to it." Suddenly it occurred to me that may be what causes my headachey/dopey feeling after I smudge with sage. As a result I rarely smudge . . . but I want to! However, I don't think I'll try using sage again. Can anyone think of anything I can use to smudge as an alternative to sage? I already know that I am allergic to lavender, and chamomile (although I wouldn't smudge with it, I just want to mention it in case anyone thinks of a related plant). Anyway, this was hugely disappointing to me . . . so any suggestions would be appreciated!

gregory

Sweetgrass is lovely for smudging.

PathWalker

I was wondering about a little rosemary in there, but that may be related to lavender?

amethyst57

arabic gum....clove...dragon's blood....
frankinsence...myrrh...sandalwood...

gregory

PathWalker said:
I was wondering about a little rosemary in there, but that may be related to lavender?
According to wiki, it is TECHNICALLY a mint, as is lavender, so.....

But I am sticking with sweetgrass. It's so LOVELY and gentle.

I don't think incense burning is quite the same thing as smudging though - correct me if I'm wrong, but smudging involves - sort of - waving a bundle of smoking herbs. So the lovely resins suggested would be more for other rituals, I think ?

enchanted spirit

SWEET GRASS!!!! YES!!!! That's what I was thinking of. I knew I'd used something besides sage before and it didn't cause me to feel terrible after but I couldn't recall what. Yay! Now I have to find some sweet grass.

I've been thinking how ridiculous it is that I am allergic to so many things! I guess it could be worse . . . but it's annoying to be sure.

I am also allergic to cedar. :( I forgot about that. And I get migraines from fragrances. Some incense is fine, other is bad news for me. Luckily I can tell just by smelling it - don't have to burn it to find out. Almost all scented candles and air fresheners are also out of the question.

But thanks! Sweet grass it is. :D

gregory

That was my first post :D

Oh well - glad it finally hit home !!! :) I have a bundle right here on my desk !

medicinalfrog

Honestly, I don't like the smell of sage so i rarely use it, but I find that most incense sticks work just as well as long as focus on my intention of clearing out the negative energies.

Ana's Song

Try this link enchanted spirit, this is the website (based in TN) that I use to source hydrosols and essential oils. They just received a batch of sweetgrass hydrosol! :)