personal collecting rules

Rasa

I was reading the thread about tastes changing, and thought of a 2-part question.

For those of you who collect, does anyone here make little rules, to limit what they acquire, and what are they? For example, rules I imposed on my collecting have been: only 78-card decks; just 'true tarots', no oracles; and only scenic minors...

The scenic minors rule was the first to go (in a big way!), and I've recently gotten interested in vintage oracles and playing card decks, so that's a bit of a slippery slope there..... I only have one majors only deck which I received as a gift, but perhaps it's a only a matter of time before I start looking at others.. or maybe I'll restrain myself.

So how about you guys.. do you have any rules? do you break them? What brought that about?

Chiska

While my collection is small (only 30), I have started to impose rules. At this time, I want it to be a working collection - where decks are used rather than stuffed away become someday they might be worth something, or are actually worth something.

Lately, for the reading circles, I have been requesting that the sitter choose the deck. That way I will move outside my comfort area with the decks. I have my usual 3 or 4 - but that leaves 25+ that aren't getting any mileage!

nisaba

Rasa said:
For those of you who collect, does anyone here make little rules, to limit what they acquire, and what are they?
1) Never spend money you don't already own (ie, credit cards or other forms of loan): make sure the rent is paid first.

2) Any little windfalls go to any unpayable bills first, Tarot a close second, then a long, long gap, then everything else.

3) Never, ever waste money on buying fashion, shoes, holidays or other unnecessary rubbish: that is valuable Tarot decks you might not be able to buy.

Rasa said:
do you break them? What brought that about?
1) I can't - I don't own a credit card, only a debit card. I know me very well.

2) I admit it: once when I had some extra money, I bought myself a silk shalwar-kameez set (with dopatta) instead of rushing directly off to my wish-list. I *love* my shalwar-kameez, I really do, even if I only wear it occasionally. However, that was Tarot-decks I didn't buy, sadly.

3) Gosh no - it would never even occur to me to break it!

nisaba

Chiska said:
Lately, for the reading circles, I have been requesting that the sitter choose the deck. That way I will move outside my comfort area with the decks. I have my usual 3 or 4 - but that leaves 25+ that aren't getting any mileage!
Mark your "usual 3 or 4" in your profile: if we get partnered, I'll make a point of requesting something else, to stretch your brain and give cards some fresh air and exercise.

BodhiSeed

I collect tarot and oracle decks, but only keep what I use. However, if I think I don't like/use a deck anymore, I'll make a point of using it for a week. If I still don't like a deck, I'll wait a year, and do the same thing again. If I still feel "blah" toward it I'll give it away. I generally don't buy major only decks because I find I don't use them. I try to rotate through all my decks (tarot paired with an oracle), using one set a week.

Le Fanu

Rasa said:
do you have any rules?
Yes. No cr*p. On no account.
Rasa said:
do you break them?
All the time. Sometimes I give in and buy and find that - weirdly - up close, not so cr*ppy.

It's a vicious circle. :)

PathWalker

I guess I do have rules, at present at least because money is not an endless supply so one has to prioritise (not quite the same thing, but anyway)

If it was a round deck I didn't have,
If it was a black and white deck I loved,
If it was on my wish-list of decks I actually want to have and use,
If it was something I'd never seen before, and was WOW-ed :)

Otherwise, I generally pass, because I'll never have all the decks in the world, so I don't try, or I'll use up money on mediocre decks that I might have spent on decks I adored.

yirabeth

My rules mirror Nisaba's...only to include don't buy computer stuff too..that's my other love. But I bought tarot with my last big windfall instead of a second monitor. LOL My results of those are the same as well; no credit card, and buy clothes? shoes? REALLY?? lol I discovered I needed a pair of shoes the other days and was sad.. But then while looking for my slippers in the bottom of my closet I found a pair of warm sturdy walking shoes I'd worn only a few times and put away several years ago and forgot. SCORE! So I ordered a tarot deck LOL

My other rules are more silly; Never buy a deck you don't like to touch and Try to get decks from all the tarot people that I respect I can! The first means I'm not doing LS decks right now -- the way they feel in the hand is just wrong for me.. (NO its not the borders! lol) I'll work on LS decks when I run out of other decks to collect. The second means I often buy decks that I already have just to trade, or will even order a deck for a person if they don't mind getting a brand new deck. (Unless they feel about it as I do, that I understand!)

~Yira

Eilan

My rule is to buy no more decks. Of course I keep breaking it.

My other rule is not to buy the deck the first time I see it. And I keep breaking this one too.

Libra8ca

nisaba said:
3) Never, ever waste money on buying fashion, shoes, holidays or other unnecessary rubbish: that is valuable Tarot decks you might not be able to buy.

Unfortunately, sometimes the temptation is too big! <sigh> Also, drive a cheap car and keep it as long as possible. No unnecessary electronic gadgets.

Other rules that I have:

1) Save the money first. No use of credit. -rule not broken yet
2) Only 78 card decks -rule not broken yet
3) No oracle decks- rule has been broken many times and I'll have to eliminate it
4) Only RWS with illustrated minors-rule not broken yet; I have one (or 2??) deck with non-illustrated minors but didn't know this when I bought it (honestly!)