How useful is Tarot to you?

oskinpower

I understand Tarot can be used to gain insights of situations. However, since Tarot interpretation is vague and varies greatly among people, how much weight can you put into its meaning and use it to guide your action?

Can Tarot be more than a self-amusing tool?

Sinduction

Apparently, tarot does not do for you what it does for me. Sorry.

Apollonia

sadboy108 said:
I understand Tarot can be used to gain insights of situations. However, since Tarot interpretation is vague and varies greatly among people, how much weight can you put into its meaning and use it to guide your action?

It depends on how good the reader is. In addition to reading for my clients, I use Tarot a great deal to gain insights and make decisions in my own life. But not everyone is good at reading for him- or herself; gaining the necessary objectivity is key, and takes time and practice.

And although I would say that sometimes I am amused by what the cards have to say, if I am looking specifically to amuse myself, Tarot is not what I choose.

yirabeth

With study, practice, and learning to trust your intuition, you can put quite a lot of weight into it :) However, like anything else that takes skill, it's not going to happen over night. You have to apply yourself, study, practice practice practice! Take notes. Note which of your readings came true, HOW they came true, and HOW they differed. How you felt about what you were thinking at the time. Above all..READ. Can't practice if you don't read :)

You've come to a good place to begin your tarot journey :)

~Yira

GryffinSong

I find tarot most useful as a tool for introspection. It has helped me get in touch with my true feelings, helped me make decisions, helped me strengthen my intuitive side.

Yes, tarot is subjective. And you'll get tons of differing answers on what that means. But useless? Its only as useful or useless as you make it.

GryffinSong

sadboy108 said:
...how much weight can you put into its meaning and use it to guide your action?

I would never do anything that felt wrong just because I thought a card was telling me to. I would never make a decision purely based on a tarot card. Tarot is a tool, not a rule. It can provide insight and information, depending on how you take it, but it should not be used (in my opinion) to make all your decisions.

It drives me just a little bit crazy when someone sounds like they're going to change their mind and do something they weren't planning to do, just because someone on this board tells them the cards say to. We all have to take responsibility for our own actions. Use tarot for whatever you can get out of it. But it is not a replacement for our own will.

Chiska

Tarot can be a great tool as a starting place for meditation. There are times when situations require more thought, but one is not sure what to consider. Tarot can offer "thinking" points.

It can also help to bring things forward into consideration that may not have been considered. A different perspective, so to speak.

People use the tool differently - and get different use from it. Your question will net as many answers as there are tarot readers!

nisaba

sadboy108 said:
Is that ALL Tarot is for you?

No wonder you chose the name you did ... you have my heartfelt sympathy.

oskinpower

nisaba said:
Is that ALL Tarot is for you?

No wonder you chose the name you did ... you have my heartfelt sympathy.

geez why so defensive? I simply wanted to know if people can decide course of action based on what they read in tarot.

Besides, my username was chosen in 2006 when I experienced severe difficulty (from my old perspective).

I think you are more of a negative person when you chose to mock and pity another person based on his/her username.

nisaba

sadboy108 said:
sadboy108 said:
geez why so defensive?
<puzzled> I didn't know I was.

sadboy108 said:
I simply wanted to know if people can decide course of action based on what they read in tarot.
I thought you wanted to know if Tarot can be more than a self-amusing tool. I took that to mean that you hadn't yet discovered how much more than a self-amusing tool it was, and I felt a deep and real rush of sympathy for you. Sorry.

sadboy108 said:
Besides, my username was chosen in 2006 when I experienced severe difficulty (from my old perspective).
<shrug> It's a matter of indifference to me. Names are merely a way of telling one person apart from another. I wasn't aware that I'd even really noticed your name, let along mentioned it. Sorry again.

sadboy108 said:
I think you are more of a negative person when you chose to mock and pity another person based on his/her username.
I'm sorry that you see a genuine sympathy for the words that you said, as a mockery based on your username. I apologise. What can I do to make it up to you?