Tarot as an addiction?

MagsStardustBlack

Hi guys!

I have a little quierie. I have been thinking about how my own journey with tarot is developing and it is going really well, im enjoying it, its fun, helpful, comforting and fascinating. Above all it is helping to finer tune my intuition and other abilities - so its all good :.)

But sometimes the thought creeps in that if by some way my tarot decks were to disapear and i was never to have another how this would affect me.

Well the thought fills me with dread!

So it got me thinking that although we use tarot for very diverse reasons and outcomes, how dependant are we on these cards?

I don't just meen if we were never able to do another reading with them, i mean to never hold them, shuffel them, look at their beautiful images ever again.

Does this mean that we develope an unknowing dependancy on them? Could we all be addicts?

I'm interested to hear any and all of your views - especially those with Psychology backgrounds.

Thanks xxxMags.

Valishael

I know what you mean. My heart would break if I could never read my Tarot cards again.

But my heart would also break if I could never read another book. If I could never climb a mountain or ride a horse again. If I could never have my mother's secret recipe again. Heck, if I could never play another video game again. :)

I don't think loving something, even a hobby (and many of us would class Tarot as more than a hobby), so much that you fear parting with it is an unhealthy thing or an addiction. I think it only becomes that way if its presence in your life leads to destructive behaviour (can't make a decision without using Tarot, eating that secret recipe until obese, playing video games for 100 hours a week like a friend of mine), and/or if you truly can't go on without it.

Benvarry

Simply not wanting something to disappear from your life doesn't constitute an addiction, don't worry :) For something to qualify as a pathological addiction, it must have real negative consequences - e.g. in terms of occupational/social functioning or personal distress.

MagsStardustBlack

Valishael said:
I know what you mean. My heart would break if I could never read my Tarot cards again.

But my heart would also break if I could never read another book. If I could never climb a mountain or ride a horse again. If I could never have my mother's secret recipe again. Heck, if I could never play another video game again. :)

I don't think loving something, even a hobby (and many of us would class Tarot as more than a hobby), so much that you fear parting with it is an unhealthy thing or an addiction. I think it only becomes that way if its presence in your life leads to destructive behaviour (can't make a decision without using Tarot, eating that secret recipe until obese, playing video games for 100 hours a week like a friend of mine), and/or if you truly can't go on without it.

Great point and well said Valishael. Your absolutly right on that level. I wondered however if it the way we feel about and view tarot cards goes deeper though into our psyche, as for alto of people using the cards in some form is an everyday need.

Addictions also may not be destructive. And also how would anyone know they were addicted unless they were parted from the cards? What lengths would people go to , to reclaim a deck. Could people who love their cards and use them for various purposes feel ok about never using them again, and how would that affect a person?

xxxMags

MagsStardustBlack

Benvarry said:
Simply not wanting something to disappear from your life doesn't constitute an addiction, don't worry :) For something to qualify as a pathological addiction, it must have real negative consequences - e.g. in terms of occupational/social functioning or personal distress.

Oh i'm not worried Benvarry lol, it was a hypothetical question. I guess because tarot has made such a possitive change to my life. I don't read my cards often these days, as reading other things.

How would a person know if there would be negative consequences unless they no longer could have their cards? Interested :.)

How about as an extension of our basic needs then. If all the tarot cards disapeared, would people feel the need to find other things or anything to read such as rocks, stones, clowds, palms. Maybe it could be an addiction to reading then?

xxxMags.

faunabay

MagsStardustBlack said:
If all the tarot cards disapeared, would people feel the need to find other things or anything to read such as rocks, stones, clowds, palms. Maybe it could be an addiction to reading then?

xxxMags.
After reading your original question this is exactly what popped into my mind. LOL I'd find some other way to access the information. But I don't really think it's an addiction though. I think it's our way of accessing information we need to know. I think this is one of the reasons alot of us read tarot cards.

I definitely don't need the physical cards to do this. One example is I've used my Faeries Oracle so much that I don't need to pull out the deck to consult with them any more. :D I can picture the cards and "call" on certain faeries to help me.

I realize people use tarot for a variety of reasons but I personally use the cards to focus my intent, figure out my options, etc. So although Iwould be extremely sad to have my cards disappear :( I would just find another way to accomplish these goals.

Carla

I suppose if tarot suddenly disappeared from my life and I had no access to anything to do with tarot at all, I'd just forget about it eventually. Kind of like my ex-husband. No wait, not like that. I like tarot. ;)

MagsStardustBlack

faunabay said:
After reading your original question this is exactly what popped into my mind. LOL I'd find some other way to access the information. But I don't really think it's an addiction though. I think it's our way of accessing information we need to know. I think this is one of the reasons alot of us read tarot cards.

I definitely don't need the physical cards to do this. One example is I've used my Faeries Oracle so much that I don't need to pull out the deck to consult with them any more. :D I can picture the cards and "call" on certain faeries to help me.

I realize people use tarot for a variety of reasons but I personally use the cards to focus my intent, figure out my options, etc. So although Iwould be extremely sad to have my cards disappear :( I would just find another way to accomplish these goals.

Hi Faunabay,

Your words about how you read your faeries Oracle are beautiful, so inspiring, i also have this oracle and if one day i have this same or a similar connection with them i would consider myself very blessed :.)

And i greatly value you opinion on my question, it is a clear way of defining the answer. And yes if tarot/other oracle cards were no longer an option people would find alternative ways. I feel there is a fundamental human need in psychics/intuitive people to find a way, to find anything to read for their specific goals and direction.

So as i see, it can not likened an addicion, it is a need to be the person you are, and live as how you feel most free and true to yourself. people wouldn't struggle with the loss of their tool, they would simple find a new one, or evolve possibly into a higher level in tune with their mind body and soul.

Thanks for your beautiful response :.)

xxxMags.

MagsStardustBlack

Carla said:
I suppose if tarot suddenly disappeared from my life and I had no access to anything to do with tarot at all, I'd just forget about it eventually. Kind of like my ex-husband. No wait, not like that. I like tarot. ;)

LOL Carla! :.)

Thank you for your thoughts :.)

Maybe they would be forgotton by alot of people, become a fable, fairytale and be lost in myth and history.

xxxMags.

greatdane

I don't know what I would do

without books, but I don't think that makes me an addict, so I'm with the other peeps who are posting. It's only when something is a crutch and blocks out reality, your own feelings of right and wrong and judgement that it would become a problem.