Amber

Le Fanu

Yet more treasures from the Rock & Fossil Fair. It was a 5 day event and I just kept going back. On the last day, I bought, among other things, a piece of amber.

For a while I have wanted some amber, simply because of its beauty and romantic associations. I have no idea about its properties.

There was a stall from Russia with authenticated pieces of amber - some superb pieces - and I decided to "invest" in a special piece (this event only happens once a year so I thought now was the time).

Anyway, I bought a gorgeous piece of polished amber with a complete spider trapped and preserved. So intact and clear that you can see the hairs on all 8 legs! There are also various wings and other bits preserved (maybe from his web millions of years ago!) but the spider is the best bit.

It wasn't particularly cheap but at least I feel that it is a proper authentic piece and not fake. I am absolutely thrilled with it.

How many others have amber in their rock collection? I know there are threads here about amber jewellery but does anyone have amber with insects in which they use as they would other rocks or crystals (even though I know it isn't a rock)?

misfitknits

well, i don't have any pieces of amber, just jewelry. but i am not a gem, crystal, rock or mineral collector, either! but i do think amber is particularly beautiful, and i would love to see a picture of this remarkable piece you bought!! i also wanted to comment to say that i know there is alot of beautiful amber coming out of russia right now, not sure how *long* it has been coming from russia, i only heard of this the other day, actually! ;) but the quality of this russian amber is said to be supreme, and the color exceptional!!

good invest, in my opinion!!!

Alta

I am fortunate to have a lovely amber sphere, estimating 4 or 5 cm in diameter, that a friend brought back from Poland some 10 years ago. I treasure it, it feels so warm in my hand and I love the colour. No insects though.

Good for you, what a find!

Mellaenn

Le Fanu, I went positively green with envy at your description of the amber-encased spider; that's awesome! I have been working with a collection of crystals for divination and naturally, the more the very shape or nature of the stone suggests a certain feeling/condition/nuance, the better for my readings.

I have a tiny little piece of amber in my crystal oracle, but I would really like to get one that I can "sense" more completely. I think I will keep looking. :)

By the way, I usually read the amber as being trapped by old events or feelings; frozen into inaction.

Le Fanu

There were a couple of dozen of blocks to choose from, different prices, all exhibited in a light box. This one isn't huge; it must be about 2 inches (ish) but it has a clarity and is very well polished and the spider is very clear and complete.

I asked the dealer which would be the best buy for someone willing to spend up to X euros and he showed me a few and this one really grabbed my attention!

You can see all the little legs in spidery pose! I forgot to ask how old it was, but I just love looking at it with my jeweller's glass and thinking that - wow - he's a prehistoric little spider!

Mellaenn

Oh, yes, that is SO cool...think of the all the aeons that have passed since that little guy spidey-walked the earth!

photokat

Photo, please?

photokat

Browser acting up, making duplicate posts. SORRY!

photokat

Triple post, sorry!

Le Fanu

photokat said:
Photo, please?
I can try but I don't think it'll come out very clear with the camera I have. I cannot get up very close with it...

Will try.