Solstice Full Moon Eclipse

Vesper

Is it anything special, astrologically speaking, that for those of us in North America the full moon will be in eclipse on December 20-21, coinciding with the winter soltice on the the 21st? (besides just being very cool.)

Sorry if it's a dumb question - I know nothing at all about astrology.

Stormdancer

evelone said:
Is it anything special, astrologically speaking, that for those of us in North America the full moon will be in eclipse on December 20-21, coinciding with the winter soltice on the the 21st? (besides just being very cool.)

Sorry if it's a dumb question - I know nothing at all about astrology.

!!! WOW !!! REALLY????

***plops down eagerly awaiting answers***

cronegoddess54

Stormdancer said:
!!! WOW !!! REALLY????

***plops down eagerly awaiting answers***
Me, too there has to be someone out there that can answer! It has to be special to be on the same day.....very powerful, maybe...hmmmm....let us know please..?

jfiallo0982

moon eclipse.

the moon will be 29 degrees in Gemini, and oppose mercury, who will be retrograde. So Im guessing comunication plays a big roll here, specially in the family, marriages and close relationships.

I dont know alot, but I think if im not right im pretty close.

cronegoddess54

This event has not happened in 456 years! 5 centuries ago, wow!

dadsnook2000

For cronegoddess54

Actually, we have had eclipses on this 29th degree axis of Sag-Gemini twice before in more recent years. Both those eclipses were reversed, the Sun being at the end of Gemini and the Moon being at the end of Sag. These eclipses occurred on June 21, 1853 and June 20, 1796. Four other such eclipses were also at the 29th degree just a bit less exact --- June 21, 1815, 1834, 1862, and 1786.

You might wish to look at the history of those years in June, near the Solstice date, and draw your clues from those examples. Dave

Laura Borealis

I think cronegoddess means this is the first time we've had a total lunar eclipse on the Dec. 21st Solstice since 1638 (source: Wikipedia). That's pretty special. :)

Minderwiz

Yes it is very interesting!!!!

The significance is more likely to be at the mundane level - that is countries, nations, peoples.

Secondly the eclipse should be visible, if it isn't we have to downgrade it. So if you can see it, it will have some real significance for your country,

cronegoddess said:
This event has not happened in 456 years! 5 centuries ago, wow!

I have a year of 1638 as the last time we had a total eclipse of the Sun that fell on the day of the Winter solstice in the Northern Hemisphere but I'm not sure of the visibility of that one, so you may well be right, I'd be interested in your source.

A good general guide for interpreting eclipses can be found at:

http://www.skyscript.co.uk/eclipserules.html

For individuals the suggested rule is that the eclipse will be significant if it happens at a maximum of 1 degree from natal Sun or Moon or one of the four natal angles. Obviously this is compounded if you have Sun or Moon conjunct an angle and the eclipse is also 1 no more than 1 degree from both.

The most interesting part of the article is the relevance to national/public affairs and for this you need a copy of your country's chart and that will give you some indication of what will happen till the next total eclipse.

Minderwiz

Note of clarification

The 1638 date relates to the last Total eclipse of the Moon on the same day as the December solstice. We haven't actually been clear whether we are referring to a Total eclipse or just any eclipse. The last eclipse on 21 December was in 1981 but that was a partial one.

It also depends on how close is acceptable too, would say 10 days either way be acceptable or do we want it on the date of the solstice itself?

It's the Total eclipse on the solstice day which makes this one special

silverwings94

I can't wait to see what happens on the 21st. Its my birthday and I'm hoping something fantastic wlll happen.