PDA

View Full Version : Regarding "Bumping", thanks :)

linnie
20-12-2010, 14:44
Hello all... I'm just wondering what 'bumping' is? Is it when your own thread hasn't been answered by anyone else, but you then add another post to it? And is it considered bumping only if the updated post is irrelevant, or??? And is bumping frowned upon? Thank you... I think I 'bump', and am not sure how socially unacceptable that may be... :)

emmsma
20-12-2010, 17:36
I'm not tech support, but I've never seen an angry word at threads being bumped.

Bumping is often done for sale threads that get buried, and the original poster wants fresh eyes to see it.

Also if you come across and old thread and want to see what folk now have to say about the topic, you could give it a bump.

Hope that helps.

Grigori
20-12-2010, 17:47
Officially we try to avoid "bump" messages, as its better to revive a thread with a real contribution rather than just a bump message. It's in the guidelines for AT, but not too vigorously enforced, especially in the trading section as emmsma noted :)

http://www.tarotforum.net/faq.php?faq=ourrules_faq_item#faq_quality_faq_item

Sulis
21-12-2010, 00:25
'Bump' posts are allowed in Tarot Trading but that's because threads there seem to have more ownership than anywhere else and if you're trying actively to sell or trade something then you want your thread to stay visible and not disappear down the forum.
I've removed 'bump' posts from other forums though since they don't add anything to the thread and as Grigori has pointed out, are against the forum rules.

linnie
22-12-2010, 17:13
Thank you emmsma, grigori and Sulis.... I had read that page when I first joined but forgot where... :)

I do usually try to keep things relevant rather than just saying "me again", but I have refreshed my memory re the remarks to a person rather than re the actual topic issue...

Thank you all for your responses. :)