Cons of being tarot reader

NamasteIndia

I was working in a profession earlier which had lot of cons and its quite later on i realised that being in that profession was waste and will not bring in any return. so i quit that profession but it meant loss of professional qualification and certification that i had obtained through sheer hard work.

I started reading tarot for people but found that somethings do not suit my personality and there are some aspects of being tarot reader which can be termed under cons.

As per my point of view the cons are

1) If you are naive and innocent people will fool you they will show rosier side of personality and ask twisted questions
2) Alcoholics, drug addicts, perverts, criminals would come dressed up and approach you for a reading
3) Some issues would be quite dangerous to handle like suicidal person, severely depressed person, person venging with anger
4) Many people would be doubting you and your background when they come in and they could put up nasty behaviour in front of you
5) Quite a lot of them will try to befriend you and keep calling you for free readings
6) Repeated and silly questions would be asked like whether they will find a maid.
7) Many of the clients will get obsessed with tarot and keep coming back with same set of question
8) The place, area, locality matters where u decide to do reading(New point added)
This are some points i can remember will add some more later on.

Muir Aingeal

NamasteIndia said:
I was working in a profession earlier which had lot of cons and its quite later on i realised that being in that profession was waste and will not bring in any return. so i quit that profession but it meant loss of professional qualification and certification that i had obtained through sheer hard work.

I started reading tarot for people but found that somethings do not suit my personality and there are some aspects of being tarot reader which can be termed under cons.

1) If you are naive and innocent people will fool you they will show rosier side of personality and ask twisted questions
2) Alcoholics, drug addicts, perverts, criminals would come dressed up and approach you for a reading
3) Some issues would be quite dangerous to handle like suicidal person, severely depressed person, person venging with anger
4) Many people would be doubting you and your background when they come in and they could put up nasty behaviour in front of you
5) Quite a lot of them will try to befriend you and keep calling you for free readings
6) Repeated and silly questions would be asked like whether they will find a maid.
7) Many of the clients will get obsessed with tarot and keep coming back with same set of question

NamasteIndia- You can't have the worst tarot reader on the block title because that's already been taken by me :*

Anyway, I haven't had to deal with anyone really face to face so you're much braver than I in that respect and I'm sure you've run into all kinds :( even online it can be a bit of a pickle.

That's an interesting list but do you think the good outweighs the bad? or does it even out?

NamasteIndia

Muir Aingeal said:
NamasteIndia- You can't have the worst tarot reader on the block title because that's already been taken by me :*

Anyway, I haven't had to deal with anyone really face to face so you're much braver than I in that respect and I'm sure you've run into all kinds :( even online it can be a bit of a pickle.

That's an interesting list but do you think the good outweighs the bad? or does it even out?
There are many good points about reading tarot professionally definitely but i want to acquaint myself with the cons also
like i said earlier that i have burned my fingers with a profession which ultimately did not work out.

well u cant be the worst tarot reader you can ask for a vote on AT and definitely i will win the title.

nisaba

NamasteIndia said:
<shrug> It's their money.

NamasteIndia said:
Er ... you've named two or possibly three illnesses, and one occupational choice. Does an illness or a career path stop someone being human? And dressed-up how? What do clothes matter, one way or another?

NamasteIndia said:
And so it is for receptionists or dentists, too. You have to know what you can and can't handle, and develop a list of local practitioners or services that you can refer people to. For what it's worth, in twenty-something years, I've had to refer very few people to anyone on my list, but it's good knowing I have phone numbers and a list of services available for needy people.

NamasteIndia said:
I haven't had many people do that. It's simply a matter of remaining professional and not becoming fearful or angry, if you draw a line, people will respect that. It's like being any kind of authority-figure: if you have the personal authority to pull it off, people will respect that. It's your skills they need, after all.

NamasteIndia said:
Hasn't happened, and I've been reading since the eighties. I get repeat business, and I have actually became friendly with a client of mine, but I referred her on to another reader because I became fond if her and it's hard to remain clear-minded if you know someone personally. I read better for strangers.

NamasteIndia said:
I usually end up a reading by saying something like: "Let me know how things go for you in a couple of months." People don't come back the next day. In fact, if you charge an honest amount for your time, the majority of people won't have the income to spend on frequent readings - they'd rather buy clothes or something.

NamasteIndia said:
I've just covered that one.

NamasteIndia, from your questions in this post and in others over the last few months, I get a real sense that you're very self-doubting and even perhaps afraid. Most of the things you seem worried about really aren't problems at all - the things you have said would happen often in just this list are all extremely rare, I find, and easily dealt with. Bear in mind that THEY are asking YOU for readings, not the other way around. YOU are the one with the skills, you are the one in a position of control, knowledge, training and authority. If you behave that way, people will accept you that way.

gregory

nisaba said:
NamasteIndia, from your questions in this post and in others over the last few months, I get a real sense that you're very self-doubting and even perhaps afraid. Most of the things you seem worried about really aren't problems at all - the things you have said would happen often in just this list are all extremely rare, I find, and easily dealt with. Bear in mind that THEY are asking YOU for readings, not the other way around. YOU are the one with the skills, you are the one in a position of control, knowledge, training and authority. If you behave that way, people will accept you that way.
I couldn't agree more. Namaste - I think I have said to you before that you have to stop doubting yourself. NONE of us is perfect, and all of us have disaster days anyway - but the people who come to us just - cone to us; we read, and they go away. (If they refuse to go away you call the cops and get a restraining order.... })) If you get someone mentally ill and don't know - you can only do your best anyway. Just as you would for anyone else.

Apollonia

NamasteIndia said:

I'm not sure I understand the purpose of your post. Is it to warn others off of reading professionally, or to convince yourself of something? Every occupation has pros and cons. If you are truly called to read for others, the cons will be irritating at times, but ultimately won't matter.

It sounds as though your left brain is coming up with reasons not to read for others. Might be due to fear, possibly past life stuff, might be something else. What does your intuition say?

Rasa

I am with Gregory and Nisaba on this one.
I read cards professionally for the last few years, and experienced some (but not all) of the 'cons' you listed.. and not often. Mostly, my experiences were quite positive.

I think that first of all, if you have more confidence in yourself, you'll enjoy what you do more, and also will find more strength to assert your boundaries well, and to promote yourself in the right places, in the right way.

It sounds like, if these are your experiences, you might be attracting the wrong kind of clientele..
Where do you read? Where do you advertise? How do you present yourself? How much do you charge?

You may find that if you alter some of those things, the sort of people that come to you will change, also.

One gets a different spectrum of people if they are working out of a metaphysical bookstore, compared to a flea market, compared to out of their home, compared to at psychic fairs.... that's been my experience. Perhaps you should try some different venues.

I found it helpful to pass out pamphlets about my services, rather than business cards... a little more time and expense, but it was worth it.
In the trifold pamphlet, I had room to explain briefly:
-who I am and how I view the Tarot
-what I feel Tarot is useful for; what sort of readings I do best
-how things work re: rates, appointments, parties, etc.
That way, people could know by reading it whether or not I was offering the sort of thing they were looking for, and information was clearly presented to establish it right away. (ie: it's automatically apparent that I read by appointment, and that my services have a clear fee).

SunChariot

NamasteIndia said:

Personally I adore being a reader. It's like I was born to do this, and in fact I kindof think I was and that it is my life's calling. I love Tarot and being a reader so much that I cannot think of any cons to it. It's pure joy for me

As for yours, here are my opinions:

1) Well if you are naive and gullible people can fool you in any and every area of your life. That is not restricted to Tarot. But most people are not out to fool you or take advantage. We all learn life lessons as we age, we learn to see life more clearly. But in the end, so what? If you do 100 readings and you truly help 90 people and 10 fool you in some way....so what? Think of the 90 -people you DID help and be proud of yourself for the good you did in the world. And consider the 10 people who fooled you a fair price for all the good you were able to do.

2) I personally do not read in person, I only read online. But my take on it is again so what? If someone is a drug addict and needs my help with a reading I am happy to help them. As long as I am not in direct danger, by being alone with someone dangerous, I am happy to read for anyone the universe sends to me. My view is that the universe (read G-d) sends me those people whom I can help and who he wants me to help. If I am called on to read for someone I trust the universe/G-d is telling me I am meant to do it. And it is my great honour to do that good in the world. Besides, people can change. What if a reading you did was instrumental to their healing and learning how to live a happier healthier lifestyle? How wonderful would that be?

3) In the case of a suicidal person, or someone with the type of emotional issues requiring therapy (yes like anger management) I would not read for that person but would instead advise them to seek the appropriate professional help. We are never obligated to read for someone. It is our choice who we read for, and if you only read online as I do you are in no personal danger.

4) What can I say? I don't read for others in person so no one is doing anything unacceptable in front of me. If they send me a nasty e-mail I can block them if I choose. Maybe you are meant to be only an online reader as I am, I personally prefer things that way.

5) So what. You don't have to give them free readings. People can want things from you but if you feel they are trying to take advantage of you, you can always say no. Besides I don't think this happens anywhere near as often as you think. In all my years of reading, I have only felt that happen to me twice. If I start to feel that is happening, I just drop that person from my life.

6) There ARE no silly questions in Tarot, not ever. If the querent truly wants to know and is concerned over it, I put myself in their shoes and do what I can do help them. Even if someone repeatedly asks the same question, it is beecause they NEED to hear it again. It is our job as a reader to give them what they need. It is about their needs when we are a reader, not about ours. Being a reader is a selfless thing. We are there to meet their needs, not ours. But it is a great joy to know we are doing some real good in the world and spreading joy and healing that spreads out like the ripples in a lake when a rock falls in. The joy and healing we send out into the universe spreads. The querent whom we leave happier than when we found him, spreads more joy and healing energy out into the world than before, adn so do those he then comes in contact with...There's nothing better than feeling yourself at the origin of all that.

7) Again, so what? We as the reader are in charge of who we read for. If you don't want to read for someone, we always have the option to say no. So this is not a con either. IF you feel someone is getting obsessed and it is not in their best interest for you to continue reading for them, or not as often, tell them that, in a kind way. You never have to read for someone you don't feel it's right to read for. Just because someone wants a reading does not obiligate you to do it. You have to follow what feels right to you, in Tarot and everywhere in life.

Babs

NamasteIndia

Rasa said:
I am with Gregory and Nisaba on this one.

I think that first of all, if you have more confidence in yourself, you'll enjoy what you do more, and also will find more strength to assert your boundaries well, and to promote yourself in the right places, in the right way.
I dont have much confidence in myself and im a child abuse victim who was socially cut off from world and my parents are not that sound of mind also. well i dont know much about asserting boundaries but i will have to learn it.

It sounds like, if these are your experiences, you might be attracting the wrong kind of clientele..
Where do you read? Where do you advertise? How do you present yourself? How much do you charge?
Yes right im attracting wrong clientele. 90% wrong people and 10% good people come through.
Ok i shifted to this place 3 years back and around one year back i put up a placard advtg. my services.
Initially a woman selling fish came upto me telling me there is theft in her house and she wanted to know who is stealing...i told her its her family members so she asked which one i told her the youngest in family. well she was expecting the elder one and when youngest came up she left fuming and grumbling
Then a man walked in couple of days later telling me his wife attempted suicide and he is unable to go to work there was nothing much he wanted to know only that how to start going to work. Later people from colony told me he is alcoholic and set his wife on fire and doesnt go to work because of psychological problems
And a mother brought in her son asking me to check generally for him and later she told me that couple of days back he had attempted suicide well i got quite freaked out when i heard this
Then there was this girl who kept on calling me at odd hours repeatedly asking me when she will get married though i had done many previous readings for her and gave her the answer she would always ask same stuff.
Well i dont know the world much and i cant figure out what to say or how to react

You may find that if you alter some of those things, the sort of people that come to you will change, also.
yes people from my colony have told me that there are some lower class, uneducated people living in that colony who should not be entertained so i avoid them now.

I found it helpful to pass out pamphlets about my services, rather than business cards... a little more time and expense, but it was worth it.
people look at this profession with suspicion because here in india many people practice black magic and such profession come under suspicion

NamasteIndia

SunChariot said:
2) I personally do not read in person, I only read online. But my take on it is again so what? If someone is a drug addict and needs my help with a reading I am happy to help them. As long as I am not in direct danger, by being alone with someone dangerous, I am happy to read for anyone the universe sends to me. My view is that the universe (read G-d) sends me those people whom I can help and who he wants me to help. If I am called on to read for someone I trust the universe/G-d is telling me I am meant to do it. And it is my great honour to do that good in the world. Besides, people can change. What if a reading you did was instrumental to their healing and learning how to live a happier healthier lifestyle? How wonderful would that be?
yes im comfortable with online reading its safer and people send money before readings

3) In the case of a suicidal person, or someone with the type of emotional issues requiring therapy (yes like anger management) I would not read for that person but would instead advise them to seek the appropriate professional help. We are never obligated to read for someone. It is our choice who we read for, and if you only read online as I do you are in no personal danger.
i have got people with brain tumour and cancer coming up and asking me how to get cured i have suggested them alternative healing centres where free healing is done but this illiterate morons expect me to do black magic spells and heal them
4) What can I say? I don't read for others in person so no one is doing anything unacceptable in front of me. If they send me a nasty e-mail I can block them if I choose. Maybe you are meant to be only an online reader as I am, I personally prefer things that way.
ya the crazy place that i live in its safer to read online only

5) So what. You don't have to give them free readings. People can want things from you but if you feel they are trying to take advantage of you, you can always say no. Besides I don't think this happens anywhere near as often as you think. In all my years of reading, I have only felt that happen to me twice. If I start to feel that is happening, I just drop that person from my life.
online people do pay but face to face they are reluctant to even give a tiny amount they are always suspicious.

6) There ARE no silly questions in Tarot, not ever. If the querent truly wants to know and is concerned over it,
there are girls keep asking about when the marriage will take place and repeatedly same same question

7) You have to follow what feels right to you, in Tarot and everywhere in life.

Babs
i will have to learn self confidence and many other things because of my abusive childhood i learnt to be a doormat