10 of Swords and The Lovers

haleyw

How would you read the 10 of Swords and The Lovers together? Never had this combination before. In the Robin Wood deck they are such a contrast. The 10 of Swords is awful in this deck, the dead person with the actual swords stabbbing them in the back and blood coming out (can't see anything good in it) and The Lovers I think is such a hopeful, serene, happy looking card in this deck and I can't see anything bad in it.

So together I don't know?

EyeAmEye

What was the reading regarding?

If it was a relationship reading, to me it would indicate the failure of said relationship or the lack of love between the querent and whomever they were having or hoping to have a relationship with.
If it were something else, I'd say it could suggest the failure of the querent to make an important decision in regards to the question asked.

Thirteen

Why are they together?

haleyw said:
How would you read the 10 of Swords and The Lovers together?
10/Swords indicates an end or failure of communication. Someone has been silenced. Lovers indicates a "psychic" choice, it's about finding someone you can communicate with so perfectly that you don't have to say a word for them to know you and all you're about.

So the question becomes is one "clarifying" the other? Or is one before the other as "past" to it's "future"? Why are these two cards together at all? Because depending on how or why they're together, they could form a sentence ("Your perfect communications--Lovers--with this person has ended--10/Swords..." or one could elaborate on the other spelling out the situation more clearly "You may feel that you can't communicate with this person--10/Swords--but you don't need to say a word for them to understand you--Lovers."

Beyond context, what is the situation of these two cards together?

SirRushing

Well, here is my take, because relationships can be just material (two people together), or sexual.

If it is about just unions/partnerships (two people together in general) then I see it as a very traumatic relationship where one hurt the other feelings. Maybe even physically abused them.

Secondly, it could mean that the relationship could be ending, like a breakup or divorce.

If it has to do with a sexual relationship, then I say rough sex, aggressive and even humiliating sex where one is the dominator and the other is the passive "victim". At it's worst, this could represent rape itself, if this is not concerning consenting SMBD type of sex.

PAMUYA

depending on the question and the positions of the cards, if about a relationship a 3rd person can be involved-Lovers can be a moral decision.

10 of Swords - Lovers tramadic event that will lead to a choice.

Lovers-10 of Swords; a choice that will lead to suffering.

again the question and other cards could change the meanings

meghandawson`

ok so when people mention things like this I like to have my cards in front of me so I can see it. I was looking for my ten of swords and once I found it the card right after that was the lovers. I thought it was cool so I decided to say it.
anyway on to your problem.
I have the Rider-Waite deck which was the foundation to the Robin Wood Tarot so my cards are pretty much the same and I understand what you mean by the contrast they have to one another.
To me the ten of swords is not a card of death (even when it is drawn in this mannor) but it's a card meaning "great burdans to bear" and paired with the lovers it may imply something about the relationship or the partner the person you are reading for is paired with.
You love this person but they have a lot of baggage. Or this relationship causes you to have a lot of burdens and problems. Either way it doesn't look bright.

I hope this helped!

poivre

10 Swords ~ a personal challenge
Lovers ~ choices

A personal challenge of making choices. You will have to
decide on your own.

???

poivre
:)

Amanda

This is where you pay attention to little and big energies.

My interpretation of this combo would probably be something like:

A relationship is over, but Love goes on and is still available to you.

WalesWoman

10 Swords could feel like betrayal, it could also be over thinking something to death, words that kill and over the top exaggeration.

It could be that things are feeling pretty darned bleak, it could be thoughts, depression, and it's killing you, making you feel like you can't even get up... and Lovers is saying... HEY you have a choice. You can either lay there and bleed and act like some martyr or get up, realize this is a passing thing and change is coming.

I think this is about the power of thoughts to create your reality, choose your thoughts carefully and create a reality that is good for you... it is your choice. Peace, Love and Harmony or Fatalistic thoughts and beliefs that do nothing but drag everything down with them?

aja

The first thought that came to my mind was an obsessive love/partnership.

The 10 of Swords to me often represents 'over the top' thinking or actions - it doesn't take 10 swords to kill someone :). Then the Lovers as a choice made, a chosen companion, a partner....