Keeping a Tarot Journal

Eyebright

Hi all,

I was wondering if you think it worthwhile to keep a tarot journal. I'm fairly new to tarot and am thinking of starting one. I need some hints and tips though!
What do you put in your journal? How do you structure it/ lay it out? Do you hand write it or do it on your computer?
Any advice you can give me would be much appreciated at this stage!

Thanks,
Eyebright

Hemera

I have been keeping Tarot journals on and off. I always think I should be keeping one but then I never re-read them. So, after 15+ years, I´m still not really sure about where I stand.
I have tried both hand written and computer written (Excel) but I just don´t know. I have a regular Journal and I´ve started to write some readings in that,too.

The thing I do have is a big notebook for spreads to choose from and I find it very useful.

Inthetree

I think it's a wonderful idea! I've never kept a tarot journal, but when I started learning the runes (when I was in college and had no job or kiddos and so lots of free time :) ) I drew three every day and kept a journal of my draws and interpretations. I would come back at the end of the day and write about what happened, much like a diary, and I would try to tie it back to the runes I drew that morning. It's still fascinating to look back through that journal. My interpretations were often way off, but the runes usually knew what they were talking about; and over time I grew very familiar win their subtleties, and my readings became more detailed and accurate. I think this would be a wonderful exercise to use with tarot as well, I just don't have that kind of time anymore :D

amethyst57

it depends; if you want to study card by card, a daily spread, or both...or some other type of study of them...
i do both the card by card and daily spread, sketch out the cards a bit, write the book's interps and write my own thoughts about them...journaling helps with intuition...i use composition notebooks, sturdy and lots a pages...

elvenstar

I started with a hand written journal, with a section for spreads and one for readings. Now I only use a journal program on the computer for recording readings and other rants, but I don't regret starting out with pen and paper, it made it more personal and special somehow. I kind of do the reading as I type and I type fast, so that works best for me nowadays. My advice would be to try both and see what feels more natural to you. You don't want the writing to interfere with the reading process, but to aid it.

As for what to include: Some people have notes on each card adding meanings and associations as their experience grows, I never got round to that, but sounds like a good idea in principle. Spreads you like are another good thing to keep a record of.

Readings for me are good to write down for two reasons. First, it forces me to take my time with it, rather than have a hurried superficial look. It forces me to formulate what I see more clearly, so I get more out the reading than if I do it on the fly. I don't record all readings I do, only the ones I feel are important to look at more deeply. The other reason is if I think I may want to go back to it later, I like looking at a snapshot of my life after some time has passed with different eyes, in that sense it's like a regular journal for me.

Hope this helps in some way. :)

Apollonia

I recommend journaling if it appeals to you at all.

When I was first learning to read intuitively, I kept a journal that I think helped a great deal. It was just in a series of spiral notebooks, nothing fancy so I didn't have to think twice about whether something was worthy of being written down or not.

I usually did a three card spread for each day (Morning-Afternoon-Evening) and then at the end of the day I would note how each card could be applied to what happened. Since I didn't always have time at the start of the day to do the spread, I would often do 5 or 6 days' worth ahead of time. And if I had a question about something big, or wanted to practice, I would enter that too. The most helpful part about it was looking at the cards afterwards and seeing what they signified in light of what had actually happened, and finding patterns in cards that repeated for the same types of events.

I think I did this for a year or two. Now I keep a very casual journal, still in the spiral notebook, where I will enter big spreads on significant issues, my year ahead forecast, etc.

Eyebright

Thank you all for the input I have received so far, its all very helpful.

Here's what is kind of formulating in my head at the moment....

1. Assign a couple of pages for each of the 78 cards. Write down the traditional meanings of the cards to start of with, then add in intuitive meanings that I come up with myself and additional nuances and meanings that different decks contribute to the card (for example the Deviant Moon Death card, offered up to me the notion that there is no going back, after something has changed)
2. Record all my readings that I do, noting down the date, the spread, the deck and any other additional information I feel is pertinent. Leave space at the end of the reading in order for me to come back and write down how the situation etc did unfold to see if misread the cards etc and to deepen my understanding.
3. Record a list of decks I acquire, and those I would like to purchase.
4. Write down a list of spreads I use, and add to it as I discover additional ones.

Thoughts? :)

Aoife

Hi Eyebright, there's been stacks of earlier threads containing many hints and tips which can be found through the search facility.

My experience has been that it doesn't matter how you organise it, the important thing is to cross reference and use a functional index system so you can find that little gem of insight again.

Gathering card 'meanings' soon becomes obsolete as you develop your own interpretations. Brainstorming and mind-mapping are particularly useful. But the most valuable part of journalling is where you record your own experiences and insights, particularly from reading for others.

BodhiSeed

Hi Eyebright! I've been keeping a written tarot journal for several years now. It has changed over the years, as my ideas about tarot have changed. I've learned not to keep things so neat and tidy. :D Writing things out makes things stick in my head much better (I'm more likely to remember the cards through the day). I recently started a blog back in December where I do a daily draw. Right now I'm pulling one card from the RWS and one button from my Button Oracle and talking about each one. The one card draws have really helped me focus on each card, both the traditional meanings and symbols as well as any intuitive thoughts I have. The nice thing about having a blog is that friends can give you feedback, and this helps me learn new ways of seeing the cards too. The livejournal blog I use is free (if you use a basic layout) and has "tags" so I can list each card as I use them, then go look them back up later if I want. The only drawback I've found with the blog is that I won't post anything too personal on it. That I save for the written journal.:)
ETA: The most important thing about a tarot journal is just to DO it; don't worry about it being right. It's YOURS, so you can do it however you want.:heart:

avalonian

I write mine by hand. The system that has worked best for me (after much trial and error) is to write everything down (readings or thoughts on cards) chronologically.

I use a filofax and number the pages as I go along. At the front I keep an index where I list all the Major and Minor Arcana cards in order, followed by the numbers one to ten, and the four suits.

As the cards crop up, I note the page number against the relevant card in the index. This way I can easily look back to see what I have previously written for any particular card.

And on Umbrae's recommendation, I always journal in pencil. Don't know why it helps but it does.

:) :) :)