PDA

View Full Version : Attention! Nasty Virus in VLC Player!

Dusk Till Dawn
10-01-2011, 04:30
Moderators please remove if this is totally the wrong place.
If you are using the VLC Player do not open the program, scan your system, it contains maliciuos malware that infects your entire System.

gregory
10-01-2011, 04:37
That's rather odd. I have had it on my machine for three YEARS now with no problems at all. Just did my routine scan at lunch time today and it was fine....

ETA just scanned the programme itself with AVG and adaware - zilch. Where did you download it from ? maybe THAT site dropped something ?

ETA just had a look on line. It seems that the PROGRAMME is fine but there are some download sites which are dropping all sorts along with it.

Dusk Till Dawn
10-01-2011, 04:45
No, we wanted to watch the original video we made, and as soon as we opened it, it probably went online to update or something, my Anti Virus caught it, and moved it into virus vault. After doing another scan it found 101 infected files. It happens when you open the program. We had it for years too. Never had a problem. It worked Yesterday fine, must have happened today. It couldn't have been our video, it was on an external drive too.
ETA:
We haven't downloaded anything. That is the weird part, might have been hacked or something.

gregory
10-01-2011, 05:05
Mine never updated in its tiny life... though I don't allow automatic updates of ANYTHING....

Alta
10-01-2011, 06:44
I haven't used my VLC for a while. Your experience makes me very doubtful. I did just scan it with AVG but then it hasn't been opened so presumably not done anything.

gregory
10-01-2011, 07:05
Just opened mine up to see - nada. It opened, I closed it. No sign of updating - nothing.

I feel ever so BRAVE :D

zannamarie
10-01-2011, 07:19
I just downloaded a version two days ago. Didn't see any problems and just ran a scan and no problems noted.

Looking on the Web, it appears there were problems with earlier versions ( I have the latest, 1.1.5) which could be hacked. Something about the overflow buffer made this easier to happen.

Also appears there were some fraudulent sites saying they were VLC download sites, but were deliberately infected versions.

MsRubyRain
10-01-2011, 07:55
What is a VCL player?

zannamarie
10-01-2011, 10:46
What is a VCL player?I downloaded it so I could view some videos with .flv extension which I believe means they were created with Flash.

The crowned one
10-01-2011, 11:43
Moderators please remove if this is totally the wrong place.
If you are using the VLC Player do not open the program, scan your system, it contains maliciuos malware that infects your entire System.

It is much more likely something you opened using your player. That is very common. VLC is a very good product, free of malware.

Dusk Till Dawn
10-01-2011, 15:48
All I know is that the Player is now in the virus vault. I am glad others do not have the problem. Maybe it only Ocurs in Windows XP? The Video we opened we had filmed ourself, so I do not think it is that. We had watched that Video may times before, no problem there.

We had scanned the entire system, there were 101 spyware files removed, but other than that nothing else was found. And I hope it was that and nothing else.

gregory
10-01-2011, 19:05
What is a VCL player?
It's a video player which doesn't care what region your DVDs are - and is also free. My IT guy who built my machine for me recommended it when Power DVD went pearshaped (neither of us knows why; something with the licence - but as he said at the time - this was easier than sorting all THAT out !)

And it never has given me any trouble (What version WAS yours, Seeker ? Just so others know ?) Mine is only 1.0.5. And it seems OK.

ETA I am on XP, so not that.....

Mind you odd things do happen in computing life. I have a Photoshop installation disc which has always been fine. Recently, when I put it in for extra brushes and stuff, it has started to tell me there was a trojan on it. How can this be on an original installation disc ?

Dusk Till Dawn
10-01-2011, 19:58
I wanted to check the version, but it is in the Virus vault, so I can not check it.

Yes things do happen, I just thought this might be a mass Virus attack again and wanted others to know.

Alta
10-01-2011, 21:21
Seeker*13*, please, never hesitate to post such a warning. That not everyone had it doesn't mean there wasn't one in yours. And someone earlier up said a site somewhat had attached malware to its downloads, too.

gregory
10-01-2011, 21:26
Oh absolutely ! Good on you, Seeker.

But it is a shame - it's a damn good programme and I hate it when others hack in to great freebies and fill them with rubbish !

MrAndrewJ
11-01-2011, 12:00
Mind you odd things do happen in computing life. I have a Photoshop installation disc which has always been fine. Recently, when I put it in for extra brushes and stuff, it has started to tell me there was a trojan on it. How can this be on an original installation disc ?
If it's an original disk, store bought and not a cd-r, then the security changed on our computer. Anti virus programs update with new definitions, and unfortunately some nasty program probably started acting too much like your install disk.

MsRubyRain
11-01-2011, 13:34
It's a video player which doesn't care what region your DVDs are - and is also free. My IT guy who built my machine for me recommended it when Power DVD went pearshaped (neither of us knows why; something with the licence - but as he said at the time - this was easier than sorting all THAT out !)

And it never has given me any trouble (What version WAS yours, Seeker ? Just so others know ?) Mine is only 1.0.5. And it seems OK.

ETA I am on XP, so not that.....

Thanks for the explanation Gregory! I guess I don't have that. I figured if I didn't know what it was, I probably didn't have. Never hurts to double check though!

akirafist
11-01-2011, 13:43
It's open source. You can look at the source (which contains no virus), then compile it yourself.

Abrac
11-01-2011, 15:43
I have version 1.1.4. Installed it in August, 2010. I use it all the time without any problems.

It might be your antivirus. Sometimes a definition update can cause things to start acting squirrelly. I use Avast and recently installed the latest version. They did an overhaul of the Behavior Shield and it started flagging stuff as harmful that it never did before. I had to add some programs to the exclusion list so now Avast just ignores it.

Are you able to identify the files that were flagged as spyware? You might Google them and see if you can find out what they are.

Dusk Till Dawn
11-01-2011, 15:55
Thank you, those spyware files we always have on our pc, I am still wondering about what could have caused it .

gregory
11-01-2011, 18:24
If it's an original disk, store bought and not a cd-r, then the security changed on our computer. Anti virus programs update with new definitions, and unfortunately some nasty program probably started acting too much like your install disk.
Makes sense !

HOLMES
11-01-2011, 20:46
i had a facebook virus come through 3 weeks ago by my nephew who accepted something from his friend a link.

long story short ,, malware antibytes saved my computer after i put it into safe mode with networking and updaed it.

i would run that on your computer to be extra safe. !! :)

Satori
11-01-2011, 22:59
My VLC is fine!