Do you think some decks are more 'powerful' than others?

Carla

I was just reading a review at Amazon of the Harmonious Tarot, and the reviewer suggested that if you have a client with serious issues, you should choose a 'more powerful pack', but that this was a good deck for general readings. I was struck by the phrase. I never thought of any deck being more 'powerful' than any other. To me, they have different tones and perhaps even attitudes, but nearly all of them seem to be equally 'powerful'. <frowns in thought> Surely the power comes from the reader's connection to elemental energies (or whatever name you personally assign to those forces that you divine).

What do you think? Are some decks more powerful than others? If you think so, what do you mean by that? If you don't think so, why not?

Vesper

Perhaps the reviewer meant a deck with more powerful imagery, something that evokes a stronger response.

I'm with you, though, in the belief that the cards don't have power. It's all in the reader.

Lillie

Yeah, I do.

Just like I think some books are more powerful than others, or some paintings are more powerful than others.

ncharge

I think some decks are definitely more powerful than others. I am not sure why, though (and I guess why isn't really important). I also think that different people experience decks differently, so more powerful for me may not be more powerful for any other reader.

gregory

What Lillie said.

The Thoth is VERY powerful. That's not quite the same thing as saying it "has power" - but it is certainly - to me - more "powerful" than - say - the aforementioned Harmonious. Which reads perfectly well - but is - how shall we say - gentle ?

Then again - I thought the Mystic Faeries was fluffy, but it reads MEAN ! I'd say there is a huge difference in the "power" of a deck and what it brings to a reading.

I'd also say that was a rather silly review on amazon.... but most of them are !

moderndayruth

Lillie said:
Yeah, I do.

Just like I think some books are more powerful than others, or some paintings are more powerful than others.

What she said.

Thoth to me is probably the most powerful of all.

MareSaturni

I think some decks are more powerful than others, like some music, paintings, books and movies aremore powerful than others.

That said, the measure is "powerfulness" is very personal. What feel powerful to me, and what makes a big impact on me, may not do anything for another.

I don't see anything special about the Thoth, but I like the colors. I had two copies of it and ended up trading or selling them, because the deck really does nothing to me. ;) On the other hand, Robert Place's Alchemical Tarot is a deck that is 'powerful' - in my humble opinion.

nisaba

I'm keeping right out of this one. On the one hand, my philosophical self is hopping up and down, insisting very loudly that all useable decks are equally powerful and I can get good readings with the lot of 'em, and on the other hand, my inner realist remembers using the Selena Lin Manga and the Talking Tarot ...

I'm quite okay with arguing with others in public, but a bit shamefaced about arguing loudly and vehemently with myself, so perhaps I shou-

Styx

I think there are decks more powerful then others, but I would say first that this is very personal, and then that "powerful" doesn't necessarily mean impressive or spectacular. As long as its imagery is sensitive and coherent, I guess a deck can be "powerful" for someone. Except if you're concerned with looking strong and mysterious when you give a reading...
But I don't think that a deck is able to tell you how to make your life-long dream come true whilst the other one was only meant to warn you against your nosey next-door neighbours. It's all about the connection between the cards and the reader.

gregory

nisaba said:
I'm keeping right out of this one. On the one hand, my philosophical self is hopping up and down, insisting very loudly that all useable decks are equally powerful and I can get good readings with the lot of 'em, and on the other hand, my inner realist remembers using the Selena Lin Manga and the Talking Tarot ...
That's part of my point though. I don't think "more powerful" has anything to do with potential as a reading deck. Mystic Faeries is NO WAY powerful as a deck (to me) but it is kick ass for reading - even on really tough stuff, and it can give really mean readings - in your face, unkind almost. Very powerful READINGS.

Nisaba - your extra quotes in your posts are a PIA when quoting you - they have to be manually deleted every time. MUSt you ??? :*