Reclamation of a water-damaged deck

GryffinSong

I spilled a cup of water on my New Century several years ago. I dried the cards and put it aside, believing that it was beyond repair. I dug them out yesterday, and thanks to all the trimming threads here at AT, decided to have a go at restoring them. I've got about half of them trimmed and rounded, and they look great! They're not perfect, a couple of them have damage on the backs that "mark" them, but I don't feel that I have to replace them at this point.

Thanks, ATers, for pointers to the 5mm trimmer, and the various happy trimmers who gave me the guts to try this.

Here's a sample ...

Attachments

• new century trimmed.JPG
    new century trimmed.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 86

Cassandra022

congrats! it looks much better...actually even if they'd been in mint condition i think they'd still of been improved by the trimming :]

Storm82

great that you could save your deck

good luck with rest of the cards

nisaba

And remember the charm of a well-used, faded, damaged deck - they always look and feel a whole lot better than a mint-condition deck. Well done on even digging it out to check on it!

GryffinSong

Thanks, all. I'm really happy with the results. And I agree about the aged thing. I couldn't really riffle shuffle it, but it shuffles in other ways really great. I'm very, very pleased. I'm still deciding whether to leave the little gold border on them. I like it, but might like it even better with no border at all except between the image and the title.

The thought of intentionally damaging a deck to get this aged look and feel still gives me the willies, but I'm enjoying what this one has become. My only regret is that the back of the Sun card is very noticably marked/damaged. Oh well.