PDA

View Full Version : Melody's Crystal & Mineral Encyclopedia

photokat
14-01-2011, 16:17
I just ordered this massive book the other day.
YAY!
So excited ... I was always wishing for a big fat Melody book like this with photos.
Does any of you have it?

Hardcover: 976 pages
Publisher: Earth Love Pub House; First edition (January 1, 2008)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0962819069
ISBN-13: 978-0962819063
Product Dimensions: 11.8 x 8.8 x 2.3 inches
Shipping Weight: 9.6 pounds

Internationally acclaimed, this Best-Selling Metaphysical Mineralogical Encyclopedia describes over 1400 minerals and crystals illustrated with over 1400 color photographs. This final text in the Love Is in the Earth series and THE Last Testament has been prepared with love JUST FOR YOU by Melody.

This encyclopedia is meant to take the reader on an intimate journey into the subtle realms of crystal energy, assisting one in developing a loving affinity with crystals. The minerals in the photographs have not been enhanced, reflecting them as they are naturally. Many of these minerals have been reported previously in the Love is in the Earth series; within this encyclopedia, all of the new and/or updated information for the old minerals, and all of the new information for the new minerals is reported.

http://www.amazon.com/LOVE-EARTH-Encyclopedia-Fantastic-Testament/dp/0962819069

cardlady22
15-01-2011, 00:17
I really want to see one before I shell out the money. I have her older text-only book and 2 of the pictorial supplements (Kaleidoscopic Z and Mineralogical)

I'm thinking that what I'd prefer to be able to buy is a PDF of the new book's tables/appendices. I don't have the space to lay out a book large enough that people recommend it's own reading stand. Was that a fair comment by that Amazon reviewer?

ETA: Has anyone done a comparison to see exactly how many new stones have been added?

ncharge
15-01-2011, 05:00
I have it. The photos are great! She reduces the amount of text for each type of crystal to make room for the photos, so I haven't thrown out the softback and appendices. And the photos do not show every variation on a stone - for instance, it may show a particular stone in its natural state and you have a polished stone. But, I think it is the best and most comprehensive resource out there for crystals/stones.

Yes, it is huge. It is as large or larger than one of the huge dictionaries you see in libraries. I don't need a stand, though. I just lay it out in front of me in all its glory!

I haven't done a detailed comparison. I will have to do that soon.

kaleanna
15-01-2011, 05:16
I too have this Massive book. It was a Hannakah present.

I have yet to do a comprehensive comparison to see exactly how many new stones have been added but I know I have seen some when going through this massive book.

The pictures are great and It is a desk type encyclopedia book as it is really too large to carry around but with that said, It is an awesome book and I am glad that I have it.

kaleanna
15-01-2011, 05:18
I'm thinking that what I'd prefer to be able to buy is a PDF of the new book's tables/appendices. I don't have the space to lay out a book large enough that people recommend it's own reading stand. Was that a fair comment by that Amazon reviewer?

ETA: Has anyone done a comparison to see exactly how many new stones have been added?

Yes cardlady, that is a fair comment by that amazon reviewer. It does require some space and is why I said it is good as a "desk reference encyclopedia" book.

kaleanna
15-01-2011, 14:55
I just spend the last hour or so going through the table of contents of Melody's text only book vs Her Encyclopedia.

I found that there were 569 "new" stones listed in the encyclopedia that are not listed in the older text only book and I found that there were 11 in the table of contents in the older version that were not in the table of contents in the encyclopedia book.

Hope this helps.

cardlady22
15-01-2011, 15:09
You are a sweetheart! I definitely want to see one now, but buying will have to wait quite a while.

kaleanna
15-01-2011, 15:11
You are a sweetheart! I definitely want to see one now, but buying will have to wait quite a while.
You are quite welcome and it gave me something to focus and concentrate on and it was a welcome distraction!

MsRubyRain
15-01-2011, 15:42
WOW...what a great book!

I have Love Is In The Earth, which I love eh. This will definitely have to wait for a time when I can splurge big time on myself. wtg Photokat!

Mellaenn
15-01-2011, 22:08
Melody has 569 new entries in the new encyclopedia? Well, now with my new crystal mania, this goes on my wishlist!

I have the older version of Melody's book and now I also have 3 or 4 good crystal references, too (The Crystal Bible, Illustrated Directory of Healing Crystals, etc) but I find that more illustrated books I have, the better. I agree with ncharge; it's good to have different views of the stones (e.g. rough vs. tumbled). But to me Melody is the best at describing their metaphysical meanings.

kaleanna
16-01-2011, 02:24
Melody has 569 new entries in the new encyclopedia? Well, now with my new crystal mania, this goes on my wishlist!

I have the older version of Melody's book and now I also have 3 or 4 good crystal references, too (The Crystal Bible, Illustrated Directory of Healing Crystals, etc) but I find that more illustrated books I have, the better. I agree with ncharge; it's good to have different views of the stones (e.g. rough vs. tumbled). But to me Melody is the best at describing their metaphysical meanings.

Hiya Mell,

Yes it does seem that there are approx. 569 (give or take a couple, LOL) I was just going by the table of contents and what was or wasn't listed when comparing the two.

I agree that Melody is the best at describing their metaphysical meanings. I was a bit apprehensive at first about getting this massive book, but I am glad that I was able to get it. It is a great book and I look forward to using it for lots of studying.

GreenMoonBeam
23-01-2011, 15:57
Small bump!!!! :heart:

So glad I have a March birthday. Every home needs a' just because it's a tome' around for reference.

I imagine that this & Marina's books will be fine & dandy for learning more of the magick of crystals.

GMB! :love:

minrice
25-02-2011, 06:33
I didn't know there was another version! I have the older softcover. I'm overcome with greed now. That's what I get for logging on here and associating with you people...

linnie
31-03-2011, 22:41
I didn't know there was another version! I have the older softcover. I'm overcome with greed now. That's what I get for logging on here and associating with you people...
Ditto!!!!!!!!! Groan... I love Melody's books, and have the Crystal Bibles 1 & 2 by Judy Hall as well... Can I really ask for this BIG new one??? No choice now that I know it exists... Yep!!! :)

I've just past my birthday... um... rewards?????? :)

photokat
01-04-2011, 17:16
This one is absolutely worth getting. I love mine to pieces!
AND .... as a bonus, the book makes a great weight for curved decks as well
; )

linnie
03-04-2011, 16:26
This one is absolutely worth getting. I love mine to pieces!
AND .... as a bonus, the book makes a great weight for curved decks as well
; )
I've been surfing the websites of many secondhand books suppliers... have to look elsewhere from Amazon as it is way too expensive postage-wise... But, yes... I have seen it here and there, very varying prices, and I AM going to get my hands on this little (:):):)) book! Thank you for the heads up!!! :)

GreenMoonBeam
20-04-2011, 16:48
I've been surfing the websites of many secondhand books suppliers... have to look elsewhere from Amazon as it is way too expensive postage-wise... But, yes... I have seen it here and there, very varying prices, and I AM going to get my hands on this little (:):):)) book! Thank you for the heads up!!! :)

It's a toss up between a USA based chain and a dear little bookshop that is deposited in the middle of the Channel Islands,UK. (But I can not say the names in case that is advertising }))

Use the ISBN to play with on this journey ;)

linnie
20-04-2011, 16:52
Thanks GMB... and the ISBN is...... :) I ask because there are SO many Melody books my brain will fry .... :)

GreenMoonBeam
20-04-2011, 17:05
Pm a'winging up the east Coast to you :love: :heart:

photokat
20-04-2011, 17:25
Got mine for 70 bucks or so, shipping was 4.

GreenMoonBeam
20-04-2011, 17:35
Got mine for 70 bucks or so, shipping was 4.

Tad more for us downunder in Australia. I could use my US address but the item still has to come to me with postage costs.

There's a solution! i can move to the Uk })

linnie
20-04-2011, 19:15
Thanks, GMB :heart: ... and photokat :)

Yes indeedy... everything costs more over here, because we are um, distant, from worldly goings ons!!! Still, it looks delicious and I know I must, must, must have it! And will... one day... :)

cardlady22
20-04-2011, 23:44
Amazon US says LOVE IS IN THE EARTH: The Crystal & Mineral Encyclopedia--The LIITE Fantastic, The Last Testament

*Earth Love Pub House
ISBN-10: 0962819069
ISBN-13: 978-0962819063

http://www.amazon.com/LOVE-EARTH-Encyclopedia---Fantastic-Testament/dp/0962819069/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1303303345&sr=1-1

*photokat had it in the first post

linnie
21-04-2011, 00:00
Thanks cl22 ... so she did :) And I actually looked at links then, but am waiting on a word from loved ones as to whether or not I might receive this lovely thing.... :)

minrice
24-04-2011, 08:13
I was sooooooo tempted to buy this last week because Borders sent out a 40% off coupon! Plus free shipping. Next time this comes around I think I will have to get this book. I saw a copy of it in person at the gem/mineral show I went to a couple weeks ago and it is fantastic. A true gem of a book and the book lover in me just wants to posess it for that alone!

linnie
11-05-2011, 21:52
Mine is on its way, thanks to my beautiful daughters pooling together for Mother's Day... we don't really observe Mother's Day very seriously, but... Yay!!! This year, Melody's big one... woohoo!!!!!!!! :)