Does tarot ALWAYS show the truth?

zayats

It is said that tarot cards never lie, and the reader can be wrong but never the cards.

It is also said that cards can joke, or that your thoughts and feelings (anxiety, excitement) can prevail in the message, and not the real situation.

I am asking because recently I did this reading on a subject that other people read for me, and I got very negative cards - there's really no way I could read them even a bit like the positive ones I got previously (they differed in details, but were overall positive). Before I asked others to read for me on this, I did one reading myself, and it was positive too - it was about a month ago. Then I got various readings up until a few days ago. And it was OK, and then suddenly I'm doing another one yesterday, and it's all dark and gloomy. I found it quite worrying, as the question concerns something rather important to me, and a rather long time span, and something I can't really affect, so I don't think the circumstances had changed and that's why I got this result. Could it be cards are playing with me? Or maybe they just showed my fears?

Alamaris

Some people say one shouldn't read for oneself due to what you mentioned, projecting our own fears onto the reading, but I think that's a load of hooey. No matter who's doing the reading, someone is going to be projecting something. It's more a matter of practicing being objective -- looking at the reading and seeing what it actually says, rather than being too optimistic or too pessimistic.

But the most important thing I was ever told when I started out reading cards is that when we're using them to look into the future, we're not reading certainties... we're reading possibilities. :)

zayats

Thank you.

But the problem is the reading was blatantly pessimistic. I saw NO possibilities in those cards, they were such clear cards that I could not bend the meaning to get anything positive, it was just totally opposite of the previous readings I got and not just a different aspect, for example. I will probably wait a couple of days and redo it, with a calmer attitude, hopefully.

amethyst57

it's human nature, we do lie to ourselves...
but can spin negative cards for lessons to be learned...the cards help us be or to get open to these lessons...much like dream work...

Apollonia

When reading for yourself on an important, really serious matter, I recommend doing only one reading, writing it down, and referring back to it if you are feeling like you want more information later.

Doing multiple readings on a single topic before what has been shown has happened will often result in readings that make little or no sense.

Carla

Apollonia said:
When reading for yourself on an important, really serious matter, I recommend doing only one reading, writing it down, and referring back to it if you are feeling like you want more information later.

Doing multiple readings on a single topic before what has been shown has happened will often result in readings that make little or no sense.

Good advice, and I've found it to be the case as well. Don't read on something more than once, and I'd also add, to don't ask multiple others to read on the same topic for you. Personally I think it annoys the tarot. :)

greatdane

I really only read for myself BECAUSE I do it for introspection and to go within to see what I may be missing. That, just for me, is what reading is about, to get more in touch with things I may be missing or overlooking. I can totally see if someone is doing for divination, there are pluses to having others read for you. Reading for oneself one could be influenced, whether realizing it or not, by one's own thoughts and feelings in the matter. I'm NOT saying ALL readers who read for themselves for divination would be, just it could certainly be a possibility when they interpret the cards to want to view them in a particular way.

The crowned one

The cards are silently objective, or perhaps show a objective point of view, but we read them subjectively and colour them with our emotions . They neither lie or tell the truth. They just sit and wait for us to bring them to life with our dreams, hopes, fears, depth of learning and idea's. The cards are the only constant in any reading, our interpertations are what change.

greatdane

NICELY SAID, Crowned One!

I like how you phrased it. And that's why I like reading for myself, because it DOES help put me in touch with parts of myself I may have overlooked.

poivre

zayats said:
It is said that tarot cards never lie, and the reader can be wrong but never the cards.

It is also said that cards can joke, or that your thoughts and feelings (anxiety, excitement) can prevail in the message, and not the real situation.

Could it be cards are playing with me? Or maybe they just showed my fears?

I feel that the cards have all our answers and the cards that are
shown is the information we need to hear at the time of the reading...

I go and find the card(s) that I'm not impressed with and look them up
to see what other people thought of the card(s) in the forum or at
other sites.

The cards can do whatever we think they are doing...that's how we can
look back at our situations and learn.

just some thoughts!
poivre
:)