Oil pulling?

howaboutacupoftea

(I think this belongs here, oils~ herbs? :p)

Anyways, Oil Pulling is the act of swishing sesame oil, or sunflower oil, around your mouth for 20 minutes, its good for a bunch of things, apparently. I posted this here because I was wondering if anyone here has ever tried it and can give valid feedback, because I google it, and I see half negative replies, and half positive replies :p

And I'm honestly thinking of trying this...

Help? :)

Alta

Okay, I HAD to Google that! And I got:
Dr. (med.) Karach said the Oilpulling heals totally “head-aches, bronchitis, tooth pain, thrombosis, eczema, ulcers and diseases of stomach, intestines, heart, blood, kidney, liver, lungs and women’s diseases. It heals diseases of nerves, paralysis, and encephalitis. It prevents the growth of malignant tumors, cuts and heals them. Chronic sleeplessness is cured.”
Step1: First thing in the morning on an empty stomach and before drinking any liquids (including water), pour exactly one tablespoon of sunflower or sesame oil (or whatever oil you have chosen) into your mouth.

Step 2:

Swish the oil around in your mouth without swallowing it. Move it around in your mouth and through your teeth, as if it was mouthwash (don't tilt your head back to gargle though). You'll find that the oil will start to get watery as your saliva mixes with it. Keep swishing.If your jaw muscles get sore while swishing, you're putting too much into it. Relax your jaw muscles and use your tongue to help move the liquid around the inside of your mouth. When you do this correctly, you'll feel very comfortable. Pretty soon, it will become second nature.

Step3:

As the end of the oil pulling session approaches, you may notice the oil/saliva mixture in your mouth has become thicker. This is quite normal, since it is pulling out toxins from your body.When 20 minutes is up, spit out the oil into the toilet. Don't be alarmed if it looks yellowish--this is also normal.

Step4:

Rinse out your mouth a couple of times with warm water and spit into the toilet. Rinse and spit with a good mouthwash. I prefer to dilute with water (or use full strength), regular hydrogen peroxide and I rinse and spit with that. The hydrogen peroxide is very effective in rinsing out any toxins which may be left in the mouth.

Step5:

Rinse out your mouth a couple of times with warm water and spit into the toilet. Rinse and spit with a good mouthwash. I prefer to dilute with water (or use full strength), regular hydrogen peroxide and I rinse and spit with that. The hydrogen peroxide is very effective in rinsing out any toxins which may be left in the mouth.
I added these because I am sure that others besides had never heard of it. :)

greatdane

I read about this somewhere before

I guess it couldn't hurt. Not sure how it would work, not that I question it, I have no idea if it does or doesn't, just saying not sure I get the thinking behind it. But again, what could it hurt? Not expensive, doesn't sound toxic in any way, wondering if other ATers have thoughts on this too.

amethyst57

does sound interesting & kinda messy...saw books on it at amazon...
wish i knew someone who does this, get their take on it...
a seed or nut oil would be more palateable for that long of time...
always looking for anything that would supplement my own non-script treatments...bonus with this would be free,courtesy of my food support card,lol

howaboutacupoftea

True, true... It doesn't hurt to try, even if it doesn't work :)

Thanks! :D

bluecaffeine

it works, you get used to it after 2 weeks or so.
oil is cheaper than buying medicine and you can avoid visiting the doctor.

howaboutacupoftea

I tried it for the first time this morning with extra virgin olive oil. I could only do it for about 8 minutes though because it started tasting nasty! >_< is it normal for the oil to start tasting like that? or I guess it just takes getting used to :p

amethyst57

howaboutacupoftea said:
I tried it for the first time this morning with extra virgin olive oil. I could only do it for about 8 minutes though because it started tasting nasty! >_< is it normal for the oil to start tasting like that? or I guess it just takes getting used to :p

e.v.o.o.?
aren't you suppose to use only sunflower seed or seasame seed oil??

howaboutacupoftea

rockersgurl said:
e.v.o.o.?
aren't you suppose to use only sunflower seed or seasame seed oil??
I guess so, but people have also used coconut oil and other oils with good results. I guess that sunflower and seasme oil work the best, which is why they recomend it :p

Lela

Haven't done it myself, but I have a co-worker who has been oil pulling for a couple of years now and swears by it. She says since she started doing it, she hasn't gotten sick as much and her dental health has improved. I keep meaning to start doing it myself to see if it works, but haven't gotten around to trying it yet.