The calling of a deck.

sinxisxin

Have you ever had a deck for a while but had a hard time reading with it in the past and just left in your shelf to collect dust? then all of a sudden after some time the deck calls to you and you feel a strong connection, a link to it? if so, share with us your experience and the deck you felt a connection too.

Mine would be Tarot of Vampyers. I remember trying to get acquainted with this deck when I first bought it. But some how it did not want to loosen it and when it did, it told me vague things. So I let it have it's way and left it alone. a few days ago around midnight it called to me so I picked up the deck and did a 3 card reading with it, and boy was I blow away. Then I shuffled and picked one card from the top and it was the 8 of Scepters as I was looking into the red eyes of the figure in the card I was so immense it's eyes. So for to night I slept with the deck and what do you know? I had dreams. Bizarre but dreams that really explained alot to me.

gypsiejones71

Wow! You must have forged quite a connection with it now especially as it affected your dreamlife. For me, my success story inline with yours is Tarot of the Imagination! For a year this deck held its secrets close to its heart. Then just recently out of the blue, it called to me and gave me a stark reality check. Its been my best ally ever since x

NikkiB

mine was vision quest, loved the deck and it didnt talk to me at all, then it wanted to be used for a reading and i found it flowed beautifully which was great as i thought it was a lovely deck and i was really disappointed i just couldnt read it!

Onyx

It is this very thing that makes me fear everytime I get ready to pass on decks that I don't use.

For me it was the World Spirit Tarot. I was turned off by the colors, the shape and even some of the symbolism. It was all set to be passed over and I did one last reading and it floored me.

I ended up using it for a final reading for an online class that I was taking and it was one of the best set of readings that I have ever had.

Since then even if there are decks i can't stand I still hold on to them for a while just to make sure that after some time it turns out to be a great reading deck. Now for me the World Spirit is a solid reading deck.

Onyx.

Alamaris

The Marseilles.

Hadar, to be exact, but it was more the entire system. I'd been studying it for a little while, and then my health and school life went nuts for a good year, and I didn't touch a tarot deck the whole time. Then one night a few months ago, I sat bolt upright in bed because I'd suddenly got it. All that time, my subconscious had been fitting the connections together until it was the right time. And -- click! I hauled out the deck, dusted it off, and I was hooked again.

The flip side is that now I can't stand most decks based on the RWS system, but I never liked RWS much in the first place. :p

hopena

The Universal Waite was the first to come to mind. I received it along with my DruidCraft, and glanced through it, but didn't really use it for something like two-and-a-half years. Mid-2008, I just grabbed it and started using it; I briefly thought about giving it to someone as a Christmas present, to get them started, but then realized that I didn't want to let it go.

Tuilirose

Druid Craft!
I have often seen posters refer to a deck 'calling' them. I understood the words, but not really what they meant. I got Druid Craft shortly before Christmas, and it has been 'whispering' to me every since.

hopena

Quezen said:
Druid Craft!
I have often seen posters refer to a deck 'calling' them. I understood the words, but not really what they meant. I got Druid Craft shortly before Christmas, and it has been 'whispering' to me every since.

The DruidCraft was what called me to the tarot in the first place. :) That, and the sixth Harry Potter book. I saw the DC, and had to have it, whereas before that, I'd been interested in others reading the tarot, but didn't think that I could do it.

Glitterbird

Paulina - I had it sitting on my dresser for 4 months and didn't even take the plastic off. Not even sure why I bought it in the first place, I thought it was too wispy, too muted, too girly. Why-oh-why did I wait so long? I Love this deck. Maybe it was just waiting for pre-spring for me to discover and appreciate it.

Lady Iron Side

Story of my Cary yale Visconti deck

sinxisxin said:
Have you ever had a deck for a while but had a hard time reading with it in the past and just left in your shelf to collect dust? then all of a sudden after some time the deck calls to you and you feel a strong connection, a link to it? if so, share with us your experience and the deck you felt a connection too.

Here is my story, My very first deck was the Old English Tarot, I for some reason just couldn't connect or grasp it, we didn't connect so I gave it away, then my second Deck the Arthurian Legend Tarot, Now this deck has an interesting story I still to this day can't explain it, but while I was standing at the till purchasing this deck the books on the book shelves fell off, imagine being at a library and all the book on the top shelf fell off, I still clearly remember saying to her " do your books fall off the shelf all the time? " well the lady of that store told me that I was an omen for me to have the deck so she gave me the deck. this deck and I really only connected to a point, I like and don't like it sometimes this deck is mean - tell the harsh truth, so the only time I pull this deck out of the Cedar trunk is when I want the harsh truth. My third deck The medieval Scapini, I went to a local store that I just love, I feel so at peace when I'm their, I can spend hours in the store just browsing, The Lady that owned the Store she has a very old antique hutch china cabinet that she displays her tarot deck on to sell - in the drawers she has decks that you can look at, now these decks are her personal decks, that she shares with customers before they purchase a deck, Well one of her decks was the Medieval Scapini - once my eyes laid on it that was it I had to have it, so I asked her if she could get that for me, at the time the deck wasn't in publishing, so No, I wouldn't be able to get the deck, The next deck of choice that I wanted was the Cary Yale deck, that was no problem in a week the deck arrived, this Deck was extremely power ful, the connection so strong it pulls you in, the feelings of love etc are intensified, but their was a problem, I had difficulty reading it, the pips had no illustrations, the extra court cards would through me off, however it always was right, so back in 2003, I wrapped up the deck and put it in my Cedar trunk over these past yrs I would pull out the deck beside my trunk and look at it and would have all those mushy feelings again, I would say to the deck I don't know how to read you yet, one day. Then in 2010 I was going through my Cedar Trunk I had collected the Visconti deck as well, that deck lived in the trunk too, anyways I was at a cross road, needed to make a decision as to which deck I was going to keep, My feelings were still very strong towards the Cary Yale even though I haven't got it yet (how to read) so the Visconti went into the box to be passed on. A few weeks went by, I was playing around with the Tarot of Vampyres, we weren't connecting, " That is it ", I through up my hands and said "fine, okay darn it any ways ", ran down the stair pulled out the Cary yale, so here I sit with this deck, trying to figure it out and when I read cards that I know and understand it is right on the money, shocks me sometimes. Over these year, I turned into an obbessed Tarot deck collector, buying every deck I could my hands on, I did a reading a week ago, to find out why, turns out I was looking for a deck that I already had, so every new deck, I was left unsatisfied, until the next new deck came along. The deck that I was looking for to full fill me and be satisfied - Mr Cary yale. lol all this time.

sinxisxin said:
So for to night I slept with the deck and what do you know? I had dreams. Bizarre but dreams that really explained alot to me.

For the past few weeks I've been having strange and bizarre dreams, with ravens and this deck. When I use the deck and look at the pips I see images of the My medieval Scapini deck that took 2 yrs to get when they finally did a 2nd publishing of it in 2006 -2007 I use this deck to study with only not to do actual readings from.

Note: What I find interesting, and get giggles about is that, I may also be connecting to the artist work, the style, the time of the decks creation. when you put the Cary Yale Visconti beside the Medieval Scapini, they are very simuliar and they are done by the same artist. Luigi Scapini recreated the missing cards of the Cary yale, and he created the Medieval Scapini Tarot.